Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
Brilliant on all the PBs. Have had a wretched month mentally but emerged on Saturday for a 20:01 5k. Tediously nerdy but I think Peacehaven Parky is a bit too long - probably by about 150m.

Anyone thinking of doing both Hove runs on NYD?

I do think the summer course at Peacehaven is 150m too long, but the winter course comes up at exactly 5k on my tracker.

Very tempted to do Seaford and Peacehaven NYD.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I do think the summer course at Peacehaven is 159m too long, but the winter course comes up at exactly 5k on my tracker.

Very tempted to do Seaford and Peacehaven NYD.

And it's a hard one anyway.

Is it just me or are we at 'peak' NSC Running Thread right now? This is in terms of both quality (PBs and the rest) and quantity (number of posters). There's also been some great posts.

A technological breakthrough for me today as I've finally embraced technology in the shape of a new Garmin Forerunner. The best thing about them is that that show exactly how far and how fast you've run. The worst thing about them is that they show exactly how far and fast you've run! Oh bugger.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Getting parkrun envy reading about all the excellent efforts, bloody brilliant all round.......sadly I’m not in any kind of 5k shape after 2 months out and a month of slow plodding to get back to something approaching normal volume, and definitely carrying some seasonal lardage too. Loads of neighbourly drinks planned NYE so Weds is probably out as well. Got a week away with work then a three week holiday so might be a while before I log a mid-low table number for 2020.......

The two months out recently knackered my yearly mileage so will end up on about 1,750ish - was hoping to do 2019 in 2019. Time to start thinking about 2020 race targets [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] Very tempted by the Centurion ‘50 slam’ of their 4 x 50 milers.......

Sounds a reasonable target for you but a 5 year plan for me. Give us all warning when you are set for a Parkrun
time trial, we can maybe set it as a NSC Challenge.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
And it's a hard one anyway.

Is it just me or are we at 'peak' NSC Running Thread right now? This is in terms of both quality (PBs and the rest) and quantity (number of posters). There's also been some great posts.

A technological breakthrough for me today as I've finally embraced technology in the shape of a new Garmin Forerunner. The best thing about them is that that show exactly how far and how fast you've run. The worst thing about them is that they show exactly how far and fast you've run! Oh bugger.

Great news, you can sell the Casio on EBay. You now are obliged to sync your efforts onto the NSC Strava group.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just shy of 11 miles of mud, trails and hills with the dog for me today which included Chanctonbury Ring, and one smaller hill. It was a beautiful afternoon to be out.

At around 8 miles I was suddenly absolutely ****ed, despite being completely fine up to that point. As well as never warming up, cooling down, stretching and not knowing what to do with a foam roller if I had one, I also have never bothered to take liquid nor nutrition out for me on a run, basically figuring that as I only run up to about half-marathon distance, I really don't need anything.

However when I got in, I had a raging hunger for sugar and devoured a cup cake, a mince pie, two Oreos and four or five Heroes/Celebration chocs within about 10 minutes of getting in the door. I do wonder if I was "out of fuel" for want of a better description. It was about 2pm and I'd only had a relatively light breakfast before I went out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I use my Apple Watch but I miss one particular aspect of its predecessor - the Garmin Forerunner 235 - which is in a drawer somewhere. The FR would tell me elapsed time for the current mile, which allowed me to micro-manage my pace in the last 1/10th of a mile to help me to get ultra-consistent splits, generally within a second of each other.

I'm not sure it provided any benefit from a training perspective, but I did enjoy the game of trying to get really close splits. Small things please small minds and all that!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just shy of 11 miles of mud, trails and hills with the dog for me today which included Chanctonbury Ring, and one smaller hill. It was a beautiful afternoon to be out.

At around 8 miles I was suddenly absolutely ****ed, despite being completely fine up to that point. As long as never warming up, cooling down, stretching and not knowing what to do with a foam roller if I had one, I also have never bothered to take liquid nor nutrition out for me on a run, basically figuring that as I only run up to about half-marathon distance, I really don't need anything.

However when I got in, I had a raging hunger for sugar and devoured a cup cake, a mince pie, two Oreos and four or five Heroes/Celebration chocs within about 10 minutes of getting in the door. I do wonder if I was "out of fuel" for want of a better description. It was about 2pm and I'd only had a relatively light breakfast before I went out.

You’re return to running has been phenomenal and that food intake is just a snack.
Sneak some Parkruns in 2020 for the NSC table and join us at the Weakest link Relay in June.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

At around 8 miles I was suddenly absolutely ****ed, despite being completely fine up to that point. As long as never warming up, cooling down, stretching and not knowing what to do with a foam roller if I had one, I also have never bothered to take liquid nor nutrition out for me on a run, basically figuring that as I only run up to about half-marathon distance, I really don't need anything.

Welcome to the world of ultrarunning [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

What you were was ‘rungry’......that odd, post-run requirement to eat virtually anything within reach as long as it has a high fat content or is mostly sugar.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking at Strava I notice that I have recorded 25 miles swimming this year. It's been a great cross training exercise and I have also used slow swimming instead of running slow recovery miles.

Benefits are starting to show and my usual loping Aaron Mooy inelegance is changing to a more upright posture. Feeling more flexible and bouncy too. I even think I can play football again......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
During my drunken catastrophe on friday night/saturday morning - I agreed to cycle Brighton to Norwich again for the game in April. At least it won't be November this time! The biggest downside is that it's the week before the Brighton Marathon. I fully intend to race my mate to Norwich on the bikes (2 day race with a nice stop in Chelmsford for steak and chips) and then go all out for sub-3 in the marathon, but even I appreciate how hard it's going to be. The next few months will be intense training for two very separate disciplines. Bring it on!

New Years Day is definitely the Hove double bill for me, last year the Prom helped themselves to 787 finishers - and then Hove Park had 826 (I saw a post by Hove Promenade parkrun on Facebook saying there were 400odd of the same people at Hove Park as the Prom). Back to back sub-19s are my target, it's going to be intense. Hopefully [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] will be at at least one of them to help keep me motivated to run at the required pace.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
New Years Day is definitely the Hove double bill for me, last year the Prom helped themselves to 787 finishers - and then Hove Park had 826 (I saw a post by Hove Promenade parkrun on Facebook saying there were 400odd of the same people at Hove Park as the Prom). Back to back sub-19s are my target, it's going to be intense. Hopefully [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] will be at at least one of them to help keep me motivated to run at the required pace.

Impressive discipline, that!

I'm sitting here mulling whether to just lob my tickets on the exchange now, as the chance of being in any kind of state to reach the Amex for 12:30 is pretty remote.

(After that I may try for another 200+ day boozeless streak.)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Getting parkrun envy reading about all the excellent efforts, bloody brilliant all round.......sadly I’m not in any kind of 5k shape after 2 months out and a month of slow plodding to get back to something approaching normal volume, and definitely carrying some seasonal lardage too. Loads of neighbourly drinks planned NYE so Weds is probably out as well. Got a week away with work then a three week holiday so might be a while before I log a mid-low table number for 2020.......

The two months out recently knackered my yearly mileage so will end up on about 1,750ish - was hoping to do 2019 in 2019. Time to start thinking about 2020 race targets [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] Very tempted by the Centurion ‘50 slam’ of their 4 x 50 milers.......

I wouldn't worry mate, I struggled to a 23:00 on Saturday at Hove Park and therefore not in 5k shape either! Wasn't quite flat out, but I didn't feel I could push it *that* much more. At one stage a few months ago I was looking to beat my 22:15 2019 SB – missed it by a lot.

I'm full of cold so those might have been my last miles of the year. So happy new year everyone (especially the newcomers who've joined in the fun and games here in 2019) and good luck with the 2020 runs. I've been a bit organised and drawn up a list of event and will actually enter them well in advance for a change! :mad::mad:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking at Strava I notice that I have recorded 25 miles swimming this year. It's been a great cross training exercise and I have also used slow swimming instead of running slow recovery miles.

Benefits are starting to show and my usual loping Aaron Mooy inelegance is changing to a more upright posture. Feeling more flexible and bouncy too. I even think I can play football again......

During my drunken catastrophe on friday night/saturday morning - I agreed to cycle Brighton to Norwich again for the game in April. At least it won't be November this time! The biggest downside is that it's the week before the Brighton Marathon. I fully intend to race my mate to Norwich on the bikes (2 day race with a nice stop in Chelmsford for steak and chips) and then go all out for sub-3 in the marathon, but even I appreciate how hard it's going to be. The next few months will be intense training for two very separate disciplines. Bring it on!

So, a swimming post, then a cycling post......................seriously do not like the way this thread is heading. Come on, we're better than this. Next it'll be discussions about 'transition', 'racing wetsuits' and 'cleats', at which point I'm out. :flounce:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Wow dazzer, taking on the 4 x Centurion 50 milers in 2020 would be immense! The Wendover Woods 50 in particular looks really brutal. I see that the running machine Tom Evans is in for the SDW50. Thanks to your advice :thumbsup: I took the plunge and entered the CW50 :ohmy: I've already got the rollercoaster of emotions from feeling super excited to absolutely petrified. The next few months will be building up to the London Marathon and then it's all about the CW50 in Sept.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow dazzer, taking on the 4 x Centurion 50 milers in 2020 would be immense! The Wendover Woods 50 in particular looks really brutal. I see that the running machine Tom Evans is in for the SDW50. Thanks to your advice :thumbsup: I took the plunge and entered the CW50 :ohmy: I've already got the rollercoaster of emotions from feeling super excited to absolutely petrified. The next few months will be building up to the London Marathon and then it's all about the CW50 in Sept.

Great stuff. Evans is incredible - he holds the course record for the SDW50 already - 5.44..............so there's your target for a decent trail 50 miler :thumbsup: The 50 Slam isn't such a big deal - plenty do it, and a lot do the 100 Slam...........I need to look at the dates and also wait and see what happens at work over the next few weeks before committing. If I can't do them all I am planning to do the CW50 again though as I loved it

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So, a swimming post, then a cycling post......................seriously do not like the way this thread is heading. Come on, we're better than this. Next it'll be discussions about 'transition', 'racing wetsuits' and 'cleats', at which point I'm out. :flounce:

I'll be doing more non-running activities in 2020, but I'll be sure to keep this place 'all about the running', Dazzer :lol:

Good luck with the Slam attempt. Mate of mine completed it this year – hell of an achievement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here