Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Calling [MENTION=36339]Dr Yes[/MENTION] - at least that’s what I’m planning on doing!

I can confirm it’s Prom at 9 and Hove Park at 10:30. Extra measures in place to cope with crowds experienced last year.
Getting back to Lewes and then to the game may be a stretch though - I’ll probably cycle as long as the weather behaves.

Peacehaven is also on at 10:30 - Prom/Peascehaven/Lewes/Amex sounds doable!

I was going to suggest getting on the bike. I don't normally do NYD parkrun – certainly never contemplated the double – but might consider popping along to HP this year...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
....and I will add that her target for her 50th birthday in 2 years time is to run a marathon!

Easily doable. I went from 16 and a bit stone and never running to Brighton Marathon in 4:00:06 in a year and a bit. Started with just a few very painful waddles round the local park at lunchtime, probably no more than 1 and a half miles and built it up bit by bit. A few things really made my running take off; support on here, proper running shoes, parkrun and entering a 10k (BM10K). I was in my mid-40s.

I am also 50 in two years and will be doing a marathon for my 50th. It won't be Brighton again, I'm bored of that, but hopefully a biggish one abroad (thinking about Berlin, Barcelona) or maybe a small rural one. At that age your age grade score should still have a chance of going up and you will be at the bottom end of a new age results category. A year with an "0" in must be one of the best for running.

Good luck to your missus - always plenty of good advice on here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was going to suggest getting on the bike. I don't normally do NYD parkrun – certainly never contemplated the double – but might consider popping along to HP this year...

Absolutely no chance of me doing a NYD parkrun. I will be struggling over to the Amex with two kids in tow as early as possible, before getting home to finish off whatever Christmas booze remains, ready for a tilt at three months of sobriety before BM 2020.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Easily doable. I went from 16 and a bit stone and never running to Brighton Marathon in 4:00:06 in a year and a bit. Started with just a few very painful waddles round the local park at lunchtime, probably no more than 1 and a half miles and built it up bit by bit. A few things really made my running take off; support on here, proper running shoes, parkrun and entering a 10k (BM10K). I was in my mid-40s.

I am also 50 in two years and will be doing a marathon for my 50th. It won't be Brighton again, I'm bored of that, but hopefully a biggish one abroad (thinking about Berlin, Barcelona) or maybe a small rural one. At that age your age grade score should still have a chance of going up and you will be at the bottom end of a new age results category. A year with an "0" in must be one of the best for running.

Excellent...well done! Shes currently thinking of the NY marathon! My mate did the Paris one this year as he didn't get into London again, and absolutely loved it. Hes done the Brighton one a few times but, like you, wanted to branch out a bit.

I've never been a runner myself, but have friends that are club runners & do the Peacehaven PR's - so they are going to be her mentors etc. to make sure shes doing it all correctly. Once she puts her mind to something she goes full on!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely no chance of me doing a NYD parkrun. I will be struggling over to the Amex with two kids in tow as early as possible, before getting home to finish off whatever Christmas booze remains, ready for a tilt at three months of sobriety before BM 2020.

Agreed - even if I did ParkRuns, there'd be no chance of me making one on NYD. I reckon the chances of me making the Amex are pretty slim as well. I have no idea who we're playing either (I'll go and check on that now).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Agreed - even if I did ParkRuns, there'd be no chance of me making one on NYD. I reckon the chances of me making the Amex are pretty slim as well. I have no idea who we're playing either (I'll go and check on that now).

I've never really struggled running on NYD – I do like a little trot out on the first day of the year. Sort of sets me up for the year ahead, plus I've done 'Runuary' a few times, so you can't exactly fall at the first hurdle :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've never really struggled running on NYD – I do like a little trot out on the first day of the year. Sort of sets me up for the year ahead, plus I've done 'Runuary' a few times, so you can't exactly fall at the first hurdle :lol:

I'm sure I could run on Jan 1st, just the time I do so won't be suffixed with AM!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You are certainly one of the rising stars benefiting from the NSC runners collective with more to come.
Reaching an "0" year I've just had a look at my own stats for the last 5 years. 8/11/14 we had the first NSC challenge at Hove Parkrun. I got 20:58 finishing just behind the big man himself [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] He shot on from there but thanks to a bit of rivalry from here I started dong a bit of training and have managed to just better that time, once or twice, every year since. Very happy with that for a body in it's twilight years. 7 marathons have been a disaster but very good for winter training so see you at BM in the Spring, a run I would not enter without you lot.

Thanks for your motivation NSC without this I'd be in the mind of why run today when you can run tomorrrow. Also great to hear about all the numerous events done and what's coming up.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
You are certainly one of the rising stars benefiting from the NSC runners collective with more to come.
Reaching an "0" year I've just had a look at my own stats for the last 5 years. 8/11/14 we had the first NSC challenge at Hove Parkrun. I got 20:58 finishing just behind the big man himself [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] He shot on from there but thanks to a bit of rivalry from here I started dong a bit of training and have managed to just better that time, once or twice, every year since. Very happy with that for a body in it's twilight years. 7 marathons have been a disaster but very good for winter training so see you at BM in the Spring, a run I would not enter without you lot.

Thanks for your motivation NSC without this I'd be in the mind of why run today when you can run tomorrrow. Also great to hear about all the numerous events done and what's coming up.

Really? Five years since that first meet up? So much has happened during that time but it also seems like yesterday!
On the running front I’ve done seven marathons since then , passed 250 parkruns and completed numerous other events. Thanks to everyone here - NSC runners has been a big part of it for me too.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Likewise. Bizarrely, I got my parkrun PB doing a hungover run at Hove Prom on NYD this year (helpfully paced by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] as it happens). As an elderly late starter to running (started a few years ago just before my 60th birthday), it wasn’t a particularly impressive time (21:51) by comparison with others on here, and I’ve not come close to it since, but it did take my AG over 75% for the first time. Like some others on here, I move into a new age category next year (65+) and am hoping to be able to use that as the basis for a last push for some good numbers in 2020, before the inevitable effects of ageing really start to set in. It’s great to have some other “old gits” on here like [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and GNT to act as inspiration

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'll get on the backslapping train! This thread has been crucial to my running evolution, the rivalry with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has been key from the start and the difference in motivations, goals, expectations, intent and interest has been so important. There are so many reasons to get into running, and then so many different directions that the interest in running can take you.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Despite the fact that I've got slower in those five years – that 20:54 around Hove Park is looking more and more unbeatable as time goes on – it's been a blast. A quick check and in that time I've clocked up 19 marathons, (including one as part of an Ironman and another with a triathlon tagged on) discovered the wonder of trails, run/paced countless parkruns and had a great few nights at the immense Weakest Links (in a variety of weathers), organised so well by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] the gaffer, with his trusty flag!

This thread and the people in it have played a big part of the journey, so thanks – and here's to many more years of running for all of us :cheers::cheers:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Running on NYD is basically a RULE. I love it - however bad the hangover. My old club used to do a run from Ardingly Reservoir, failing that there also sometimes used to be a WSFRL race on NYD. Couple of years ago we were at the Manor in Devon (@Guinness Boy is a regular there I think) and I had a look around for something local - noticed there was a 'social' run from Jamaica Inn (Iconic pub on Bodmin Moor next to the A30) to the top of Brown Willy (highest point on the moor) and back. No times/places recorded, masses of bog, mud and water and brilliant fun. :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Despite the fact that I've got slower in those five years – that 20:54 around Hove Park is looking more and more unbeatable as time goes on – it's been a blast. A quick check and in that time I've clocked up 19 marathons, (including one as part of an Ironman and another with a triathlon tagged on) discovered the wonder of trails, run/paced countless parkruns and had a great few nights at the immense Weakest Links (in a variety of weathers), organised so well by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] the gaffer, with his trusty flag!

This thread and the people in it have played a big part of the journey, so thanks – and here's to many more years of running for all of us :cheers::cheers:

Still the best thread on NSC........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Running on NYD is basically a RULE. I love it - however bad the hangover. My old club used to do a run from Ardingly Reservoir, failing that there also sometimes used to be a WSFRL race on NYD. Couple of years ago we were at the Manor in Devon (@Guinness Boy is a regular there I think) and I had a look around for something local - noticed there was a 'social' run from Jamaica Inn (Iconic pub on Bodmin Moor next to the A30) to the top of Brown Willy (highest point on the moor) and back. No times/places recorded, masses of bog, mud and water and brilliant fun. :smile:

Fantastic. sounds ideal.

You've just reminded me of something from when I first started running (I worked in Dorking at the time). I heard about this event called the 'Knacker Cracker' that was/is based around Boxhill and takes place on NYD. I never got around to doing it, but apparently it's a right laugh and a bit of a ******* course.

Maybe something to plan for in 2021, if no home game at the Amex.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I'm down to do 5k on NYD, according to my training plan. There's a Parkrun which is a 20 minute ride on the subway which I've been meaning to do and they're doing a 10am run that day. I'll see how I feel :lolol:

It's been over a week since my last run. I came down with a pretty horrible cold which has wiped me out. If the weather was more favourable I would have gone out with my group on Sunday morning but there was a snow/ice storm, so there's no way I was running that whilst suffering from a cold.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Really? Five years since that first meet up? So much has happened during that time but it also seems like yesterday!
On the running front I’ve done seven marathons since then , passed 250 parkruns and completed numerous other events. Thanks to everyone here - NSC runners has been a big part of it for me too.

I remembered doing the Mince Pie with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and yourself the year after that Parkrun. Needed to get the dates to find the results to motivate myself for this Sunday.
http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Mince-Pie-Ten-2015-Results1.pdf

Looks like Big Nuts 1:08:39 Simgull 1:16:33 Me 1:21:14 and Guinness Boy, not sure if I knew you then, in 1:39:08

I remember not being very fit on the day so hoping to beat 1:21:14 on Sunday and hope to finish a bit nearer to Simgull than at the Downland Devil. Looking forward to this one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fantastic. sounds ideal.

You've just reminded me of something from when I first started running (I worked in Dorking at the time). I heard about this event called the 'Knacker Cracker' that was/is based around Boxhill and takes place on NYD. I never got around to doing it, but apparently it's a right laugh and a bit of a ******* course.

Maybe something to plan for in 2021, if no home game at the Amex.

Yep, exactly that kind of thing. The KC has been going for years....includes Box Hill, obviously. http://trionium.com/knackercracker/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here