Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
What does everyone listen to on their runs?

Depends what sort of mood I'm in/surroundings but like to do 8-10k cross country runs with Danny Baker podcast on - hard to beat IMO :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I used to listen to music all the time when I was running, but somehow got out of the habit when started doing runs along a road with no pavement, and thought it best to be able to hear what was coming in either direction. I also found that depending on the music, I would vary my speed, which isn't great when you are trying to do fast-paced runs.

I was planning on doing this for the first time this weekend, but unfortunately can't make it.
Please do report back :thumbsup:

I'm a massive fan of parkrun, and I'm not surprised that so many of them have popped up all over the world. It is very well organised, free, and gives you a chance to really better your 5k times with the help of similar paced runners, and also pacemakers. Hove numbers are pushing 450/500, so I'm sure they'll be welcome of Preston Park taking some of the heat off them. The guy who runs the Hove PR also works for, or is something to do with, the Albion, I think.

Advice please. I've just started running again since the new year, coinciding with a dry January, i'm losing weight and running further and faster. Tonight i'm going out for my first drink of the year and it's bound to turn messy.

Tomorrow, would you go for a gentle jog? or leave it a day and let all the shit get out of your system?

Cheers.

I must be odd, because I've often been out for a run after being on the wine or beers the night before. Maybe I've got lucky and felt OK the next day, but even when I feel a bit groggy, I seem to shake it off and run at the same sort of level I normally would. Tiredness has more of an effect on me, to be honest. No harm in a gentle few kilometres though, will hopefully make you feel better.

Well done on a booze-free Jan, by the way :cheers:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Quick question about parkrun. What do I do with my barcode thing? Do I get zapped as I cross the start line or something?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Quick question about parkrun. What do I do with my barcode thing? Do I get zapped as I cross the start line or something?

At the finish line you get a position tag, which gets scanned, along with your barcode. Then the tag gets taken from you, and you keep hold of the barcode for the next time. You get your result by text and/or email later in the day, and the results are all online. Before the off, you get a nice little welcome for being a newbie too :bigwave:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
What sort of pain is it?

think i posted similar a few pages back.

it's a sharp pain to the right side of my knee, if i press on one area i can feel pain. I've recently got back into running and last week went on quite a savage hill run with work mates which may not have helped. then 3 days later did 10k and once i had stopped it really kicked in and i basically hobbled home!

then did that 4.4 miles few days ago and the ache feeling kicked in later in the evening

not really sure what it is and if it needs rest, someone to take a look at or new trainers or something

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Parkrun was good fun. It's a good course for a 5k as it undulates which puts you through your paces. Nice to be running with people again, found it kept me going. Very much recommended.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Parkrun was good fun. It's a good course for a 5k as it undulates which puts you through your paces. Nice to be running with people again, found it kept me going. Very much recommended.

Glad you enjoyed it Chappers. Seed like a good turnout today, and I was grateful of a pb, makes all the hard work worthwhile. Only 49 more until you get your T-shirt.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Went for run number 3 yesterday morning. First time I have had to slow to a walking pace even though I was on the home stretch and could see the finish, I just couldn't keep going! Was also I slightly shorter distance than I previously managed. My wife was trying to tell me that the 3rd one is always harder (she does Jillian Micheals workouts) but I'm not so sure. I think it was because it was not long after I got up that I went. Anyhow, gonna stick at 2.5k for a week or so and just concentrate on getting my breathing sorted out. Not going to pack it in, that's for sure!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Loads of stuff. If I'm doing a long slow (9 minute mile) run I choose anything as tempo isn't important; recent choices were Die Mensche Machine by Kraftwerk, recent Memory Tapes album, DJ Kicks Maya Jane Coles, Ty Segal's Twins and today I will listen to Moderat's 50 Weapons of Choice. I also, rather bizarrely, got into Springsteen's Magic album recently. For tempo runs it's old school punk in the form of The Ramones and Dead Kennedys or techno.

Two bands I find brilliant to run to, whatever the occasion, are LCD Soundsystem and Hot Chip. LCD did a composition for Nike called 45'33" which is fantastic to run to. After initially feeling Hot Chip's In Our Heads was weak I now have it on regularly when I run.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Urgh. Cold, wet & miserable outside, & I've got to go & knock out 12 miles or so. Sometimes I hate running :D

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's beautiful out there! Just returned from a 20 mile jaunt. Lovely.

Another one for 20 miles earlier this morning. Actually enjoyed it in the rain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Urgh. Cold, wet & miserable outside, & I've got to go & knock out 12 miles or so. Sometimes I hate running :D

I'm going to go for an 8 miler shortly but the choice between warm bed or -4 outside is a tough one.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Went for run number 3 yesterday morning. First time I have had to slow to a walking pace even though I was on the home stretch and could see the finish, I just couldn't keep going! Was also I slightly shorter distance than I previously managed. My wife was trying to tell me that the 3rd one is always harder (she does Jillian Micheals workouts) but I'm not so sure. I think it was because it was not long after I got up that I went. Anyhow, gonna stick at 2.5k for a week or so and just concentrate on getting my breathing sorted out. Not going to pack it in, that's for sure!

Some days you just don't have it in you. For whatever reason the old legs are like lead and you just don't fancy it. Don't worry about it. Next time the old magic will be back again !
Oh, and don't ever go more than 10% further than the furthest you've been or you're ripe for an injury. Go steady.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is quite normal. Sometimes it just isn't there for whatever reason. Sometimes I think it's mental as opposed to physical. I was really struggling with the very tail end of my marathon training once; could not clock any decent times yet on the day I got a personal best. Power through and you'll be fine I'm sure.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any NSC'ers doing the Brighton Half tomorrow?

I'm not but I must admit as I drove along the seafront earlier, seeing the mile markers and all of the setup, part of me wished I was. I'll be running the route (and more) early doors, but it's not the same as an organised race, and probably would have made a nice change from going it alone.

Ah well, got a 16 mile race in Richmond next month to look forward to instead.

Good luck to all those that are taking part.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As a slight aside, what do people think about Mo's decision to run half the London Marathon? I love the guy, but can't really understand the decision. I don't buy into this "learning the course" nonsense, nor do I understand what benefit the sponsors will get when one of the greatest athletes in the world pulls up half way through - and everyone is expecting it anyway.

Either do it all, or don't bother. If he doesn't, for whatever reason want to do the full 26.2 in April, then leave it, run a different half marathon, be part of the London's commentary team on the course (for the 'experience'), or watch it on TV and pick up tips. THEN go for it in 2014.

I'd love to be told it is a great idea, and/or there is plenty of logic behind it because, at the moment, I can't see the sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here