Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Good pace over that kind of route.......nice circuit as well !

Thanks, It was a lovely circuit and will definitely do again, nice section of woodland running with a some good long gradual hills. When I got to the top at Ditchling Beacon I was rewarded with a full rainbow which topped off the amazing view!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Thanks, It was a lovely circuit and will definitely do again, nice section of woodland running with a some good long gradual hills. When I got to the top at Ditchling Beacon I was rewarded with a full rainbow which topped off the amazing view!

I was rewarded for about half of my 15 miles with a dark and rainy suburban Orpington. I shall not be posting any pictures! Longest distance I have ever run, no time due to phone app failure but under 3 hours.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Last 2 years I have had itching a few times after exercise at various times of the year. Not too bad, no real sign, didn't last long and used various essential oils on it and didn't think much of it. I have rheumatoid arthritis flare ups every 5 years or so and currently just saying goodbye to one. The interesting point is the Rheumatologist says the RA has moved onto a Psoriatic arthritis and that the itchiness has been psoriasis. Areas are armpits, back, elbows, temples and shins. Nothing more than itchiness at times and I hope it stays at that.

Hopefully yours is due to hot woollen socks or thermals but if continues or gets worse get to a GP. Try putting a natural oil on before running and running bare legged. Good luck.

thanks for suggestions but mystery solved (I think!) ........cheap *u*@*ng Radox bubble bath for Christmas!!!!!!!!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
thanks for suggestions but mystery solved (I think!) ........cheap *u*@*ng Radox bubble bath for Christmas!!!!!!!!!

That's easy to fix. Hope it is. I know they are full of chemicals but radox shouldn't make you burn. Epsom salts are a good bath soak and take out some toxins through the skin whilst adding beneficial magnesium.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's easy to fix. Hope it is. I know they are full of chemicals but radox shouldn't make you burn. Epsom salts are a good bath soak and take out some toxins through the skin whilst adding beneficial magnesium.

Thanks. On my shopping list for tomorrow.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Just over 15 miles for me today, back to the hills around West Hoathly. Pretty much bang on my new target of 10 minute miles. Pleased with that, but have to say my legs do ache a bit!

https://www.strava.com/activities/825277359

15.1mi
Distance

2:32:57
Moving Time

10:05/mi
Pace
Elevation 1,090ft Calories2,702
Elapsed Time 2:33:01

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I was rewarded for about half of my 15 miles with a dark and rainy suburban Orpington. I shall not be posting any pictures! Longest distance I have ever run, no time due to phone app failure but under 3 hours.

Good effort with your longest ever run.

I know that neck of the woods as used to live in Sevenoaks. You have the Kent downs on your doorstep so some amazing views if you wanted to get up on on the trails and out of suburbia.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In The Grauniad Weekend magazine was this article about the Tooting Track 24 hour Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Race. I believe the Scarlet Pimpernel was planning to self-transcend there this summer. Are you doing it [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION]?
Great how Sri Chinmoy's mind altering race, that has been run every year for 30 years, meets up with today's Ultra runners.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/07/ultra-running-south-london-24-hour-race

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Went for my longest ever run on Saturday morning, 15 miles in 2 hrs 18 mins 12 sec. Almost starting to feel like a proper runner!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hello,

Any suggestions for a good lightweight running show? I'm getting back in the game and fancy investing this time into some tools to keep me interested, possibly a Garmin, decent shoes, decent tops et al

I currently have some Brooks that everyone was wearing last year but they seem a bit bulky, fancy something much lighter. I do almost all of my running on the streets. I'm imagining a trip to Run is in order but thought I'd ask anyway.

Booked in for the Brigont Marathon 10k and want to start running shorter distances and much quicker.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Went for my longest ever run on Saturday morning, 15 miles in 2 hrs 18 mins 12 sec. Almost starting to feel like a proper runner!

Good distance and a decent time, too. It's amazing how quickly your body can adapt to cope with the longer distances. Well done.

Took to the trails and SDW yesterday for just over 10 miles and it was a challenge. Runuary moves to day 9 and the legs are starting to feel it. Little step out later, I think – that should do...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good distance and a decent time, too. It's amazing how quickly your body can adapt to cope with the longer distances. Well done.

Took to the trails and SDW yesterday for just over 10 miles and it was a challenge. Runuary moves to day 9 and the legs are starting to feel it. Little step out later, I think – that should do...

I retired from Runuary yesterday. Not doing me any good. I need recovery. As Tacitus said:

He that fights and runs away, May turn and fight another day; But he that is in battle slain, Will never rise to fight again.

I think I need to swap fight and run round though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hello,

Any suggestions for a good lightweight running show? I'm getting back in the game and fancy investing this time into some tools to keep me interested, possibly a Garmin, decent shoes, decent tops et al

I currently have some Brooks that everyone was wearing last year but they seem a bit bulky, fancy something much lighter. I do almost all of my running on the streets. I'm imagining a trip to Run is in order but thought I'd ask anyway.

Booked in for the Brigont Marathon 10k and want to start running shorter distances and much quicker.

I'd only wear light shoes once a week before the BM 10k and then only if the pavements were dry to keep them new! For the rest of the mileage it would be well cushioned shoes. Enjoy the shopping.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'd only wear light shoes once a week before the BM 10k and then only if the pavements were dry to keep them new! For the rest of the mileage it would be well cushioned shoes. Enjoy the shopping.

Ta. Will stick to the Brooks for now then and go in to run when Spring has sprung.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ta. Will stick to the Brooks for now then and go in to run when Spring has sprung.

I've run pretty much exclusively in 'big' Brooks since I got into running, the Adrenaline GTS specifically.

I had similar feelings to you and bought a very lightweight pair of Asics, which I use from time to time. I've never really enjoyed running in them though, although that may be just because they feel so different to what I'm used to.

I'd also be sceptical about how much difference a lighter shoe makes to a slow old plodder like me. I can't believe it would be much.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've run pretty much exclusively in 'big' Brooks since I got into running, the Adrenaline GTS specifically.

I had similar feelings to you and bought a very lightweight pair of Asics, which I use from time to time. I've never really enjoyed running in them though, although that may be just because they feel so different to what I'm used to.

I'd also be sceptical about how much difference a lighter shoe makes to a slow old plodder like me. I can't believe it would be much.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a plodder. Maybe I'm getting ideas above my station here!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah, I'm a bit of a plodder. Maybe I'm getting ideas above my station here!

This post has made me go and quickly look up the impact of the weight of shoes. This seems to be the most scientific:

''We found adding 100 grams to the shoe increased the aerobic demand of running by 1%. Now 100 grams is about 3.5274 ounces, so each ounce changes the cost of running about 0.2835% (1/3.5274= 0.2835). If you can run a mile in 5:40, that is going 284 meters per minute and that speed of running typically coasts about 55.55 ml O2 per Kg body weight per minute. 1 less ounce will change the cost to about 55.7075 (from 55.55 above) and that VO2 will be associated with a running speed of 284.7 m/min and a mile time of 5:39.17, so about .83 seconds for a mile, per ounce less weight."

Source: http://runsmartproject.com/2012/02/06/how-much-does-shoe-weight-affect-performance/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here