Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Out of interest have you come across a marathon or ultra with lots of woodland/ forest trails? It would be nice to do an event with quite different terrain and scenery to the sussex downs.

Pos one for the future but the Centurion North down way 50 miler is beautiful race with lots of woodland sections. Pos full this year but one for you think about in 2018?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Beachy was AMAZING last year. We got lucky with the conditions, but it's the best event (not necessarily race) I've ever done I think. Atmosphere, support, chats with random strangers all the way around, views, food – it's got it all!

While I think of it, a reminder about the Weakest Link relay race down on the seafront, just along from the Marina. July, as I remember...? Great fun being part of Team NSC last year.

I just had a quick look at that online and looks like a good event, if you are looking for runners at the time let me know.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Most of my trail races are pretty local. Away from the South Downs but not too far, one I really like is the Farnham Pilgrim (in September) - beautiful route, brilliant organisation and cakes and a pub at the finish. Route is around Guildford and includes trails, woodland, canal path (a bit), one big hill with fantastic views at the top. Nice change of scenery from the South Downs.

The Weald 50k is a good option. My training pal did it this year, lots of Ashdown Forest included I think. It's organised by Stuart Mills (9 times Beachy Head winner so he knows what runners want). Spoke very highly of it.

Thanks, I did another of his races, the high weald challenge half marathon last year and was a great event which made me think me think about the weald challenge. Will check out the Farnham Pilgrim.

Pos one for the future but the Centurion North down way 50 miler is beautiful race with lots of woodland sections. Pos full this year but one for you think about in 2018?

Yes, possibly next next year, 50 miles sounds a very long way!!! At this stage with my running I can't imagine how you get in enough training to do an event like that...the marathon nearly killed me!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Are you in this year ? I am [emoji849][emoji15][emoji33]

Not this year.. But its def one ill do again..loved the different terrains.sand..woods.. Also its about 53 miles bot 50.. So expect a bit of a park run at 50. Oh and the ice cream at box hill was def needed.

On the sdw 50 waiting list but will enter the track race at the k2 begining of April as a tester for the GUCR. Hills and beauty are not really in plan. Boring, mundane, flatness is the plan!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Yes, possibly next next year, 50 miles sounds a very long way!!! At this stage with my running I can't imagine how you get in enough training to do an event like that...the marathon nearly killed me!

Yeah it is! But then again so is 26 or whatever.. Im prob the last person qualified to give training advice..but for a 50 i did a few marathons and back to back long runs 15+.. Plus obv training on the terrain youll be running in the race..and only visualise the finishing line in your head..burn it into your brain!.. But im pretty slack with training and i admire people who have dedicated structured training plans!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah it is! But then again so is 26 or whatever.. Im prob the last person qualified to give training advice..but for a 50 i did a few marathons and back to back long runs 15+.. Plus obv training on the terrain youll be running in the race..and only visualise the finishing line in your head..burn it into your brain!.. But im pretty slack with training and i admire people who have dedicated structured training plans!

This...if you can do a marathon, you can do a 50. No need to do any longer than 26 in training, just add some back to back runs. Bear in mind you'll walk a fair amount of a 50, and even when you're running it'll be very easy paced. Secret is more about fuelling and hydration than huge training mileage.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Strange one, not an injury but do any of you runners get itchy shins at this time of the year? Often after a run the itchiness is almost unbearable in bed and in bath.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Strange one, not an injury but do any of you runners get itchy shins at this time of the year? Often after a run the itchiness is almost unbearable in bed and in bath.

Last 2 years I have had itching a few times after exercise at various times of the year. Not too bad, no real sign, didn't last long and used various essential oils on it and didn't think much of it. I have rheumatoid arthritis flare ups every 5 years or so and currently just saying goodbye to one. The interesting point is the Rheumatologist says the RA has moved onto a Psoriatic arthritis and that the itchiness has been psoriasis. Areas are armpits, back, elbows, temples and shins. Nothing more than itchiness at times and I hope it stays at that.

Hopefully yours is due to hot woollen socks or thermals but if continues or gets worse get to a GP. Try putting a natural oil on before running and running bare legged. Good luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Never had this but beware of 'shin splints' (hope that the itch isn't a warning sign) - horrible and hard to get rid of. I'm sure others will also give advice!

Good point.
Jesus can get rid off shin splints in 45" and leave you screaming £40 lighter.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
While I think of it, a reminder about the Weakest Link relay race down on the seafront, just along from the Marina. July, as I remember...? Great fun being part of Team NSC last year.

I just had a quick look at that online and looks like a good event, if you are looking for runners at the time let me know.

Great event for sure. 4 runners run 2.5k each then all run 2.5k together and HAVE to cross line holding hands.
Last year they said it was getting too busy so if anyone hears about possible pre race entry this year then post on here.
My suggestion is we all do a personal best time at Parkrun between May and June (should be end of June) and pick the teams in descending time order.
I reckon we can get at least 3 teams. Keep it in mind.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Picked up some new Asics Gel Nimbus 17s yesterday for £84 instead of (a claimed) £140. Loads of bargains in the outlet shop in Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth (#Twats).

Really comfy shoes. Gave them a little tryout last night, bit more of a test in a bit, as Bobkin Jnr makes his parkrun debut in Worthing...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Held back with the reins (just) at Hove Park and managed to get close to 24". Saw the Banana got a nice sub 20, the Turtle turned up to get a 100% 2017 out of bed record for a good steady Parkrun effort and the Simgull must have felt his troublesome calf, dropping a fair bit of time..... My achilles is needing a lot of stair calf stretching on an hourly basis, can stand up to 3 miles but may need to get to Jesus. Great to having running pains again!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Held back with the reins (just) at Hove Park and managed to get close to 24". Saw the Banana got a nice sub 20, the Turtle turned up to get a 100% 2017 out of bed record for a good steady Parkrun effort and the Simgull must have felt his troublesome calf, dropping a fair bit of time..... My achilles is needing a lot of stair calf stretching on an hourly basis, can stand up to 3 miles but may need to get to Jesus. Great to having running pains again!

Bloody good effort considering where you were a few weeks ago. Good to hear [emoji106]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First parkrun for Bobkin Jnr was a success. Still waiting for official time but just over 32 mins I think. Sub-10 for mile 3 and a well-deserved bacon sandwich at the end.

Great determination and I think he's now hooked!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Have you tried standing on a thick book? Might give yer a bit more flexibility than a stair. Or holding a kettlebell (or weights) to overload it a bit? Glad you're back, anyway. Being injured is a bugger. Congrats. Was overjoyed with mine. Once again the unwitting road to success was paved with beer and sandwiches the previous night. Managed to set off from the front and had a pal from my running club who kept me going. I actually almost felt like I was enjoying my life

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bloody good effort considering where you were a few weeks ago. Good to hear [emoji106]

Thanks for that. I have decided to train at 9:30 to 10:00 in the week, building up mileage, and enjoy Parkrun with some relative speed.
Whatever fitness level a runner is at, Parkrun is still a 100% effort, which is why it is so great. Set off with the objective to run as fast as you can but with enough in reserve to not be overtaken on the final half mile and to catch as many as you can. Great fun, regardless of time (for a few months....). Back to plodding tomorrow.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have you tried standing on a thick book? Might give yer a bit more flexibility than a stair. Or holding a kettlebell (or weights) to overload it a bit? Glad you're back, anyway. Being injured is a bugger. Congrats. Was overjoyed with mine. Once again the unwitting road to success was paved with beer and sandwiches the previous night. Managed to set off from the front and had a pal from my running club who kept me going. I actually almost felt like I was enjoying my life

I will give those weights a go once the frozen calf has warmed up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Well done everyone at parkrun!

Not sure about the running pains being great. I know what you mean but despite a week off both booze and work I am feeling the return to running 3-4 times a week. Had to roll the calves every night, lumbar roll every night yet calves, back and knee still not right when I wake up. Loving the runs when I'm out there and the adrenaline keeps them pain free but the down time is much worse than last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here