Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Glad to hear you're on the mend, hopefully the steroid injection will do the job.
When you're fully healed, at some point next year I'm going to try to get to your local parkrun to see if I can avenge your victory from this summer.

When you have beaten me in Hove, I will make another trip to St Leonards for you to beat me again. Before that I would hope to get round the Hasting's Half.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks for asking. You'll regret it. I've been driving the wife mad....
Finally saw a rheumatologist a week ago. 3 months into it. The swelling was abating by then and had walked a mile on the seafront a couple of days before, bumping into Simgull and family. The Rheumo injected my backside with a steroid and said I'd feel a bit buzzy for a few days. That night I was wide awake at 2am , got up and waited for the cricket at 4am, then spent the day talking non stop till going reluctantly to bed at 11pm. Then every day pain and swelling reduced and on Sunday I found myself replacing 8 tiles that had blown of our cottage roof. I then walked 2 miles on the flat. 5 miles Monday and 3 miles yesterday. Today it's returned at 30% strength, which is a little early after a jab, maybe overdone it this week but definitely getting there. Probably another month.

Good news is I will be capable of walking around various pubs in Cardiff next weekend.

That sounds like good news.

I fear by the way young JohnJo is going to thrash both of us over 5km judging by the way he is running at TRS. I keep trying to persuade him of the merits of beer and fags at that age.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Email from Brooks organisers to all participants. Seems entirely fair and reasonable to me.

-----------

The Brooks Brighton 10k is one of the longest established races in the UK. As a matter of policy, entry fees are kept low, as we believe that such races should be accessible for all. Consequently any surplus arising will generally only be around 10% to 12%, which is shared with the groups/charities who help by supplying marshals for the event and the balance going to Brighton & Hove City Athletics Club, to support coaches, travel and youth training.

It was incredibly hard for us to make the decision to cancel the race and we did so purely on the grounds of safety. We discussed various options and alternatives to try and ensure the race went ahead (even without toilets and marquees) but when advised that it was unsafe to close the roads, we realised there was no realistic option. Unfortunately, due to the application process for road closures at the local Council, we are unable to re-schedule this year’s event.

The terms and conditions of race entry do include a section covering these circumstances and we are unable to offer refunds. We are obviously very keen to see what we can offer by way of recompense, but as alluded to the first paragraph and noted by a good number of Facebook comments, virtually all the cash taken in entry fees is spent weeks or months before the event, which means that we have a very limited pool with which to carry out any short term remedy and no practical options to compensate entrants.

We would however like to offer everyone who entered this year a discount for next year’s race as a gesture of goodwill and thanks for your support. This discount will take into account any remaining funds from this year plus an additional similar amount. In the hope that this is acceptable, we are already looking at how we can ‘weather proof’ the race for next year and looking forward to seeing you at the start line.

Fair unless they up the race entry for 2017 :lol: (I'm sure they won't).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Went out at lunchtime and did what I think was my first "proper" run since September. It was still a 30 minute 5K but I could not feel the knee at all and wasn't compensating or adjusting my style. Was very much trying to take it easy but still ran mile 2 faster than mile 1. Loads of work left to do but I'm now confident of doing it again. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/783398775

Well done GB. Chuffed for you to be able to get back out there. You'll get back to where you were soon enough.

Argus Headline: 'NSC Stalwart Hits the Comeback Trail'. Well done!

Knowing the Arsegas, the headline is more likely to be: 'NSC Stalwart Hits the Comeback Trial' :dunce:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've seen a post on a facebook group from someone asking if they can have a medal posted to them because they went out and ran 10k anyway.............

:lolol: I reckon that person is a very serious runner!

I'm just grumpy because last year I forgot it was on, and this year I was too crippled to have run anyway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks for asking. You'll regret it. I've been driving the wife mad....
Finally saw a rheumatologist a week ago. 3 months into it. The swelling was abating by then and had walked a mile on the seafront a couple of days before, bumping into Simgull and family. The Rheumo injected my backside with a steroid and said I'd feel a bit buzzy for a few days. That night I was wide awake at 2am , got up and waited for the cricket at 4am, then spent the day talking non stop till going reluctantly to bed at 11pm. Then every day pain and swelling reduced and on Sunday I found myself replacing 8 tiles that had blown of our cottage roof. I then walked 2 miles on the flat. 5 miles Monday and 3 miles yesterday. Today it's returned at 30% strength, which is a little early after a jab, maybe overdone it this week but definitely getting there. Probably another month.

Good news is I will be capable of walking around various pubs in Cardiff next weekend.

Yep, good to hear you're on the mend. I'll be in Cardiff too training my liver and right arm lifting action. My phone is currently broken but I'm, hoping to get another one tomorrow. Once I know if I've saved my contacts and kept my number I'll DM you on how to get hold of me if you want to meet for a pint or six.

Hopefully the next few months will see everyone back to fitness.
There has been quite a few NSC runners sidelined over the last few months, hopefully that is starting to change with the injured now gradually returning.
Myself I have been plodding back over the last month, I seem to have gained half a stone whilst injured and I can really feel it, I had what felt a good run today. So hopefully it's all go from here on.

I have also put on a stone, proving I have no discipline at all. Hopefully by Cardiff it will be a case of running off the beer at the weekend and losing weight in the week again. Good to have you back too!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep, good to hear you're on the mend. I'll be in Cardiff too training my liver and right arm lifting action. My phone is currently broken but I'm, hoping to get another one tomorrow. Once I know if I've saved my contacts and kept my number I'll DM you on how to get hold of me if you want to meet for a pint or six!

I'll be dragged around by Taffies. Probably drink and eat before the game at the Chapter Arts Centre in Canton. http://www.chapter.org/node/5471
Be sitting in their end and will be the only person clapping the away attendance announcement.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll be dragged around by Taffies. Probably drink and eat before the game at the Chapter Arts Centre in Canton. http://www.chapter.org/node/5471
Be sitting in their end and will be the only person clapping the away attendance announcement.

I'm being dragged around by a different Taffy but will be in away end. I'll see what he wants to do, the only certainty so far is a calorific 'Spoons breakfast. Tradition innit.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Here's one for the masochists amongst you. Sussex Trail Events (which my brother co-owns) has just been given permission to stage a marathon in a multi-storey car park next year. I think it's the one at Teville Gate in Worthing but can't be sure.

I think this was one of the events that he mentioned to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] a while back. Nutters, the lot of them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Here's one for the masochists amongst you. Sussex Trail Events (which my brother co-owns) has just been given permission to stage a marathon in a multi-storey car park next year. I think it's the one at Teville Gate in Worthing but can't be sure.

I think this was one of the events that he mentioned to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] a while back. Nutters, the lot of them.

You know what? I'd probably have a go at that :)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Tried my first Yoga session Tuesday in an attempt to rid myself of troublesome hamstrings, haven't felt much difference and was my usual shit self at football Thursday so my Ryan Giggs style purple patch never materialised.

Missed Park Run this morning but ran 5 miles at 6:44 pace which was a huge surprise as any mile under 7 minutes has been a huge challenge, so maybe the Yoga is starting to take effect!

Looking forward to the Mince Pie now, one more run Tuesday and then I'll be up for my favourite run of the year.

Again if anyone has a spare place then I know someone who would gladly buy it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tried my first Yoga session Tuesday in an attempt to rid myself of troublesome hamstrings, haven't felt much difference and was my usual shit self at football Thursday so my Ryan Giggs style purple patch never materialised.

Missed Park Run this morning but ran 5 miles at 6:44 pace which was a huge surprise as any mile under 7 minutes has been a huge challenge, so maybe the Yoga is starting to take effect!

Looking forward to the Mince Pie now, one more run Tuesday and then I'll be up for my favourite run of the year.

Again if anyone has a spare place then I know someone who would gladly buy it.

Well done on a good run and for getting to a yoga class. The Wife says you'd need 2 months before seeing any noticeable difference and twice a week would be more beneficial. Which class was it?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
NSC Gold medal nailed on. Good luck. Is it 10k and if so have you sub 40ed yet?

Good luck tomorrow. Boss it Stig like

Cheers chaps, it is 10k, and I did it in 40:50 last year with a very strong wind in our faces down the length of the runway (twice). I'm hoping to get closer to 40 this year with milder conditions... I'd be ecstatic with a first sub-40!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Been messaging a few mates about this (and told Jay today that I'm sadly out of his M2M race next week, only upside is I can go to Cardiff instead). Assuming I can sort my niggles out it won't work for me as I'm racing the week before so I'll probably be on an aid station.

Anyone doing this race will have a great storey to tell, pay and display your medal, that's the ticket. No barrier to success [emoji23][emoji106] should be plenty of parking near the start [emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here