Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
As no game on Saturday I did the Windsor and Eaton Half Marathon at Dorney Lakes . It was a cold cold day, but sunny. The course was flat and was a mini lap followed by 4 laps of the lake. I have been aiming to break the 2 hour time for a HM. I did the GSR in 1.28 so knew that this year my pace and fitness is probably the best it has been since I was at School!!! Well Yippppeeeeeeeeee I finally did it. My official time was 1.58.11 but my watch made in 1.58.07. I had 3 aims this year, break 5 hours for a marathon - achieved, break 2 hours for a HM - achieved, break 50 mins for a 10k - failed! My next and probably final run this year will be the Brighton Santa 5k on the 10th December. This year has been one hell of a year personally, next year I want to beat all my PBs once again! Soon my training will all be geared towards the Cyprus Marathon in March and Brighton Marathon in April.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1453550799
View attachment 79589

Brilliant stuff - congratulations.

Good weekend for me in the end. Still edging my parkrun back down now 21:25 at Hove Park in lovely conditions on Saturday morning. Then after the disappointment of Brooks being off, just went out for a swift, wind free 13.5km along the sea front at around 7:50/mile. Happy with that all round.

Now looking forward to Mince Pie 10 - I know people after entries if anyone has any spare please.

Have a good week everyone.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Delighted by the cancellation, I might have recovered in time to run it when re-scheduled - presumably next week or the week after? It'll be run this year I'd have thought, to keep their long run going.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hopefully the Brooks will be rescheduled for Dec or Jan. Felt awful yesterday and apart from a solitary sliver of ham I didn't eat a thing.

I'll look forward to the Mince Pie now. If anyone has a spare entry I know someone who would take it.
Sadly not, but I'll see you there. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As no game on Saturday I did the Windsor and Eaton Half Marathon at Dorney Lakes . It was a cold cold day, but sunny. The course was flat and was a mini lap followed by 4 laps of the lake. I have been aiming to break the 2 hour time for a HM. I did the GSR in 1.28 so knew that this year my pace and fitness is probably the best it has been since I was at School!!! Well Yippppeeeeeeeeee I finally did it. My official time was 1.58.11 but my watch made in 1.58.07. I had 3 aims this year, break 5 hours for a marathon - achieved, break 2 hours for a HM - achieved, break 50 mins for a 10k - failed! My next and probably final run this year will be the Brighton Santa 5k on the 10th December. This year has been one hell of a year personally, next year I want to beat all my PBs once again! Soon my training will all be geared towards the Cyprus Marathon in March and Brighton Marathon in April.

View attachment 79589
Nice work. Well done Mr B.

billpotter72

Mar 24, 2015
Delighted by the cancellation, I might have recovered in time to run it when re-scheduled - presumably next week or the week after? It'll be run this year I'd have thought, to keep their long run going.

I know its selfish but I am in the same boat. I haven't missed one for the past 3 years, I am 4 weeks into recovery from a stress fracture soooo I might make it still.

Read some of the facebook comments on "We ran anyway what was the problem" which seemed a bit shortsighted. Anybody with a pair of legs can run, but sorting road closures while chasing cones and fencing up the road in the wind would of been a nightmare.

Its a well organised race and they made the right choice.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been a proper lazy git this week. Officially not run for a whole week - apart from 300m sprints at bootcamp.

Not really sure why but deffo not a lost mojo like in May. Back out tomorrow morning for some Mince Pie prep.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know its selfish but I am in the same boat. I haven't missed one for the past 3 years, I am 4 weeks into recovery from a stress fracture soooo I might make it still.

Read some of the facebook comments on "We ran anyway what was the problem" which seemed a bit shortsighted. Anybody with a pair of legs can run, but sorting road closures while chasing cones and fencing up the road in the wind would of been a nightmare.

Its a well organised race and they made the right choice.

I thought they had bottled it a bit early as well, until I read about the request from the emergency services - that's the end of the conversation, if they need the roads, they get the roads.

I hope to be able to make the re-running of it, I missed it last year through forgetting about it!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've been a proper lazy git this week. Officially not run for a whole week - apart from 300m sprints at bootcamp.

Not really sure why but deffo not a lost mojo like in May. Back out tomorrow morning for some Mince Pie prep.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Me too no running for 7 days so I took the opportunity to put in 9 miles this evening, once the wind had died down. Eat far too much during the afternoon and almost felt sick a few times whilst running. Good to get the distance in, the hamstring whilst by no means perfect is the best it's been for a long time.

Looking forward to the Mince Pie but last years time and position is well beyond my abilities at present.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not run for a week either. Knee has been twinging so have been listening to it and resting. Seems fine again now so will give it a go tomorrow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

View attachment 79589

Great running mate, well done :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not run for a week either. Knee has been twinging so have been listening to it and resting. Seems fine again now so will give it a go tomorrow.

Sensible........first run for a month for me yesterday. Foot is still a little bit niggly but improved enough to warrant a bit of treadmill. No worse this morning so will try to do a bit more this week.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Still no news I've seen about the Brooks 10k, I presume it will be re-arranged for another sunday but someone I work with suggested they've moved it to a midweek evening before when they've hda to re-schedule? A cheeky Wednesday night, ala the Phoenix 10k, would do me quite nicely if I'm being selfish.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Still no news I've seen about the Brooks 10k, I presume it will be re-arranged for another sunday but someone I work with suggested they've moved it to a midweek evening before when they've hda to re-schedule? A cheeky Wednesday night, ala the Phoenix 10k, would do me quite nicely if I'm being selfish.

Are they really likely to reschedule? Most of the costs will have been sunk, given how late it was called off. I doubt they could afford to reschedule it to be honest, without incurring a fairly hefty loss. My guess is there will be no rescheduling and no refunds.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are they really likely to reschedule? Most of the costs will have been sunk, given how late it was called off. I doubt they could afford to reschedule it to be honest, without incurring a fairly hefty loss. My guess is there will be no rescheduling and no refunds.

They've run it every year for 32 years though, they'll want to keep the run going and they won't want to have sent out all the race numbers and bought all the medals without completing the race at some point. Personally, I'd like to see it run one evening, but I do think it will be re-scheduled.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I can't imagine them doing that in the winter. It's one thing having Phoenix 10k on a summer light summer evening, but hundreds of people charging along a pitch black seafront sounds like carnage. Might be wrong though...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I can't imagine them doing that in the winter. It's one thing having Phoenix 10k on a summer light summer evening, but hundreds of people charging along a pitch black seafront sounds like carnage. Might be wrong though...

Good point actually, I hadn't thought of the fact it would be dark. :dunce:

But real runners won't care! It'll sort the wheat from the chaffe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here