Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I assume this is Coral gym in Hove you mean btw. Sports injuries clinic with Paul... http://www.coralfitness.co.uk/sports-injuries-clinics

I'm about 40 mins away but will happily go for £40 on a recommendation - always worth a try...

Another vote for Paul. If you are stretching your glutes have a look at the YouTubes on Seated Glute Stretch and Hip Flexor Stretch. Both are really helping my knee problem which was actually a hip and back problem.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] a hot water bottle tied onto lower back when sleeping or watching tv may be helpful. It can help relax muscles and get the blood flowing around the area.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] a hot water bottle tied onto lower back when sleeping or watching tv may be helpful. It can help relax muscles and get the blood flowing around the area.

Yeh I've done that before and my Mrs used to do it with her back issues. Also ice packs. The chiro I saw said no to hot water bottles as heat inflames things - yet others say different. This is what I find annoying when seeing professionals etc you get such conflicting ideas.

Been stretching etc but just sitting at work seems to make this worse. I'm def gonna rest it after tomo - just feel I can get through the half ok and really want to do it. Difficult one this but no harm if I have to take it especially easy or even pull out halfway through TBH... Main worry is I've just signed up to the marathon.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Yeh I've done that before and my Mrs used to do it with her back issues. Also ice packs. The chiro I saw said no to hot water bottles as heat inflames things - yet others say different. This is what I find annoying when seeing professionals etc you get such conflicting ideas.

Been stretching etc but just sitting at work seems to make this worse. I'm def gonna rest it after tomo - just feel I can get through the half ok and really want to do it. Difficult one this but no harm if I have to take it especially easy or even pull out halfway through TBH... Main worry is I've just signed up to the marathon.

Good luck for tomorrow. The weather doesn't look great but you'll be used to that after last year....

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hats off to anyone venturing out today. Worthing PR for me. About half the usual numbers out running. 21:57 which was OK and beat all the over 50s.

Miserable was nt it? Hove Park for me in 21:35 still improving and nearly back to speed. Briefly saw [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - sorry missed you afterwards I was sheltering under the trees.

Good run up Hove's twin peaks last - woodland drive and snakey twice as well.

Who's IN for Brooks next week and a cheeky pint after?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Wind, rain, mud... and another watch failure... so I had to wait to find out I'd got a respectable 19:50 at Guildford parkrun today.

Turnout was about 250, which I think was pretty good under the circumstances. Well done everyone who ventured out.

The watch has been placed on the naughty step and been given a factory reset.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Been using Strava a bit recently. Trying to run 3-4 times a week in Port Meadow, Oxford. Nowadays I manage just over 10km for every run at a pace of roughly 8 mins 30-40 secs per mile. I used to hate running outside but can't imagine going back to treadmill now.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Miserable was nt it? Hove Park for me in 21:35 still improving and nearly back to speed. Briefly saw [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - sorry missed you afterwards I was sheltering under the trees.

Sounds good to me, I'll see you at the finish line then up to Wetherspoon's

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Pretty grim at Eastbourne, about 100 down on usual numbers. Came in 21:02 which in the conditions wasn't bad.
Well done all those who braved it today.
I'm running brooks. See ya there

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Unable to do the run next Sunday I could get to Wetherspoons early and save a few bar stools for the Brooks runners. I'll be able to catch up on the Second Test from Visakhapatnam. I'm getting to like this non running lifestyle.........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Unable to do the run next Sunday I could get to Wetherspoons early and save a few bar stools for the Brooks runners. I'll be able to catch up on the Second Test from Visakhapatnam. I'm getting to like this non running lifestyle.........

Ah yes Weatherspoons afterwards, I remember being so cold last year all I wanted was coffee.

See you there be good to catch up.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
23.54 for me today at Maldon Prom parkrun, fastest for over a year but still over a minute behind my PB.
Thinking of coming down to Worthing in a fortnight before the Fulham game to see how much quicker the course is (assuming the weather is favourable).
Then I can have another go when I am in PB form!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
23.54 for me today at Maldon Prom parkrun, fastest for over a year but still over a minute behind my PB.
Thinking of coming down to Worthing in a fortnight before the Fulham game to see how much quicker the course is (assuming the weather is favourable).

Worthing is very much PB territory. Let me know if you decide to come as I usually do Worthing. BTW I think it's cancelled on 3rd Dec (?) but like other PRs it has its own Facebook page to check.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
18 miles today from Woodingdean to Willingdon (eastbourne) along the South Downs Way. Felt Ok until about mile 15/16 when my legs gave up on me, last couple of miles were really tough. Now I am wondering where I am going to find the extra 10 miles I need to do for the mouth to mouth marathon in 3 weeks!

Also had a funny feeling in my Knees towards the end, they seemed to stiffen up and feel a bit unstable, they are Ok now and no pain but not sure if this is something to worry about?

Only consolation was it was a seriously hilly route (2500ft elevation gain) whereas the mouth to mouth is not so much (1800ft) across the whole route.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If Worthing isn't on, Hove Prom is very quick (if not windy), handily with a caff by the start/finish. Bit boring though.....up and down the seafront (and repeat)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here