Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The race in which I broke the 40 minute 10K barrier for the first and - although I didn't know it at the time - last time. We are talking 1989, I think (never sent for the results!) and just proving that you never know when you are going to get a lifetime best.

Ditto. Must have been a similar age. 1995 for me. 36 years old. First and only sub 40 in 39:56. Did you beat me?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Had a watch failure today... however it failed as I finished my run - so I know I was averaging about 6:50 pace over 8.6 miles, which is something of a return to form.

Happy about that :)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ditto. Must have been a similar age. 1995 for me. 36 years old. First and only sub 40 in 39:56. Did you beat me?

Well there's no official record (available), but I think it was 39:40. Went out too quick (18:00ish) with a following wind and struggled a bit after the turn. I had no idea of pacing or any target time; I think it might have been my first 10K. The funny thing was that just before the start I had a problem with my shorts and ended up running the whole race holding them up. I must have been in my mid-30s. I kind of assumed that I'd continue to improve but - apart from a 41 min at Crowborough, a harder course - never really got near it again. But then - glory be! - I came across the concept of age-grading in my 50s and now I look forward to my birthdays! But I think your running CV is rather more distinguished than mine.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I *think* I've fixed my watch, just needed to clean the gunk out from around the ring that controls the watch with some IPA (no, not the the beer) and it worked fine for my run from the office today... and a good run too - 6 and a half odd miles at 6:45 average pace... must be because the weather is cooling down :D

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hi guys - after some advice. Suffered with a bad Lowe spine / back in general for a while. It came on as an ache during a 10miler last week (prob cos I've not ran that far in a while) and a 10k 2 days later was painful - both towards the end of the run. I have a special chair at work to help posture, been to a chiropractor (who said I was the most inflexible person they'd seen) which did little for me. So tried things. I've researched Internet and also spoke to others who said start planking and that will help which I've been doing. Also anyone recommend a back support? I've got Poppy half on sat & bit worried about it now but want to do it. I'm now very worried for the marathon in April as legs & breathing I think will be ok but worried the back will hamper me.

It's lower spinal column that hurts - hasn't given me problems really for a while but only been doing 5k - 10k runs...

All advice welcome :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi guys - after some advice. Suffered with a bad Lowe spine / back in general for a while. It came on as an ache during a 10miler last week (prob cos I've not ran that far in a while) and a 10k 2 days later was painful - both towards the end of the run. I have a special chair at work to help posture, been to a chiropractor (who said I was the most inflexible person they'd seen) which did little for me. So tried things. I've researched Internet and also spoke to others who said start planking and that will help which I've been doing. Also anyone recommend a back support? I've got Poppy half on sat & bit worried about it now but want to do it. I'm now very worried for the marathon in April as legs & breathing I think will be ok but worried the back will hamper me.

It's lower spinal column that hurts - hasn't given me problems really for a while but only been doing 5k - 10k runs...

I'd get it seen by our guy at Coral's or the one [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] used. £40 will let you know what it is, the severity of the problem and hopefully get it sorted. One visit for that. Otherwise you may need more cushioned trainers or you may be increasing the total mileage more than 10% a week. Good luck.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Firstly - sorry to hear of your probs. Secondly - I am very aware that I'm not anything like an expert. I can see that you are after others' experiences. I had lots of lower back pain in my mid 30s (a long time ago!) and it coincided with me taking up running - but it never actually came on while I ran. Walking was bad - especially slow walking, but never running. I went to various chiropractors, osteopaths and physios. One of the osteos said I was so 'knotted' (which sounds like your situation) that she wouldn't touch me until I'd been to a masseur that she recommended. This turned out for me to be the best thing I could have done and it really helped big time. The good news - for me and I hope for you - is that over the years the back problem virtually disappeared (although others things have taken its place!). But what worries me about your condition is that running seems to trigger it, might even be the underlying cause and might even be making it worse long term. Best of luck in your search for a solution.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Paul (Jesus), the man from Coral's is away until the 25th. Alternatively Tom at the Physio rooms in Falmer should be able to help. Might be an idea to get his take on whether Saturday's run is a good move. He can normally fit people in fairly quickly

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

Make sure you stretch your gluts - tightness in them will give you back pain (because they pull on your back).

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd get it seen by our guy at Coral's or the one [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] used. £40 will let you know what it is, the severity of the problem and hopefully get it sorted. One visit for that. Otherwise you may need more cushioned trainers or you may be increasing the total mileage more than 10% a week. Good luck.

Firstly - sorry to hear of your probs. Secondly - I am very aware that I'm not anything like an expert. I can see that you are after others' experiences. I had lots of lower back pain in my mid 30s (a long time ago!) and it coincided with me taking up running - but it never actually came on while I ran. Walking was bad - especially slow walking, but never running. I went to various chiropractors, osteopaths and physios. One of the osteos said I was so 'knotted' (which sounds like your situation) that she wouldn't touch me until I'd been to a masseur that she recommended. This turned out for me to be the best thing I could have done and it really helped big time. The good news - for me and I hope for you - is that over the years the back problem virtually disappeared (although others things have taken its place!). But what worries me about your condition is that running seems to trigger it, might even be the underlying cause and might even be making it worse long term. Best of luck in your search for a solution.

Paul (Jesus), the man from Coral's is away until the 25th. Alternatively Tom at the Physio rooms in Falmer should be able to help. Might be an idea to get his take on whether Saturday's run is a good move. He can normally fit people in fairly quickly

Thanks guys all good advice. I'm fairly confident I'll be ok for Sat - I've had this before a few year back & it's just annoying and seems to come in when I've pushed myself. They say you know own body so I'm slightly worried but again can't see the half being too major trauma on it - just a bit nervous.

Yes it occasionally does come on through running but I've always got it a little at work despite my new chair a few years back which helped a lot. I'd say I had felt it a fair bit before the 10miler the other day so not really brought on a fresh from running as such - just makes running uncomfortable and I end up with a bad running posture at the end of the runs if that makes sense (not straight back - forced to be slightly bent over.) I will try and see Paul in the future though - my only worry is the chiropractor I saw a few years back is very good as he sorts my mates back issues out regularly. He was quite miffed that he couldn't seem to sort my issue. But it kind of got better by itself a bit. I'd say my running shoes are fine - very comfortable brooks that are meant to have support everywhere (ghosts I think they are) but I probably WAS guilty of increasing the run too much. That's the first 10 miler I've done since Brighton half end of February.

My training for this half has been good by my poor standards but not quite long distances. I've done 5 X 5k park runs, 2 X 10k and 1 X 16k since 1st Oct. I usually only do 3 X 10k and the odd 5k and a 16k if I'm lucky before a half. Maybe it's just become an issue at work and developed from too long a run the other day...

Anyone ran with a back support? Anyone found core work / planking / stretching has helped their backs?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Make sure you stretch your gluts - tightness in them will give you back pain (because they pull on your back).

Thanks mate - googled it and doing some as we speak :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I've played football all my life and various other sports - don't think I've ever thought about flutes let alone done a specific stretch on them - the ones I've just found feel very good...!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Make sure you stretch your gluts - tightness in them will give you back pain.

That's why [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] should see someone rather than a chiropractor. Jesus or Tom. What are those stretches? Lie flat on floor grab heel and bring up to buttock? Hamstring stretches? Plus the dreaded illiotibial band syndrome stretches, seated pigeon.

I hope you don't have what I had for 3 years from 1989. Ankylosis spondylitis (rheumatoid arthritis). It attacks the spine first before attacking all the joints in the body one by one and over time. Brought on by physical or emotional stress and linked to a certain hereditary gene. From 1992 onwards it only hit me every 3-7 years and I'm now 10 weeks into first big flare up since 2005. Sure you're OK on that but if it continues may be worth ruling this out. All osteopaths, physios, chiropractors said they didn't know what it was.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh and I forgot, I asked Paul once if I could run with a knee bandage. Not his cup of tea. If you need support, don't do it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've always wanted to meet Jesus so his could be my chance... Thanks chaps.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I like the seated pigeon as you can feel it working from the knee right up into the lower back.

A similar stretch is to sit with your heel on one knee then bring both knees up to your chest so that your lower leg is across your chest (I also do that one lying on the bed).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I like the seated pigeon as you can feel it working from the knee right up into the lower back.

A similar stretch is to sit with your heel on one knee then bring both knees up to your chest so that your lower leg is across your chest (I also do that one lying on the bed).

Great stretch, the ITB link and potential back pain is about 2" from the actual spine. So is Sheebo's pain in the vertebrae or muscular or other elastic body parts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great stretch, the ITB link and potential back pain is about 2" from the actual spine. So is Sheebo's pain in the vertebrae or muscular or other elastic body parts.

Emphasises the need to see an expert. Last time I had calf issues it was down to nerve impingement.......in my neck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here