Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did park run Eastbourne again this morning - tried to go off slowly and see how hard I could push but push wasn't there as I'd hoped so clocked 27-30. Did do a 50m sprint at end as I didn't push myself as hard as last few times...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Did park run Eastbourne again this morning - tried to go off slowly and see how hard I could push but push wasn't there as I'd hoped so clocked 27-30. Did do a 50m sprint at end as I didn't push myself as hard as last few times...

Finishing with a sprint is always a good idea in my opinion, working hard at the end of a run when you've already put in a lot of effort and are tired makes a difference. Keep running [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Finishing with a sprint is always a good idea in my opinion, working hard at the end of a run when you've already put in a lot of effort and are tired makes a difference. Keep running [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]!

Thanks mate - just got the text was actually 27-11 which wasn't bad considering I felt very easy - having done park run 4 weeks in a row it makes such a difference. Need a longer run in the week this week while it's still just about light after work. 4 weeks today until Poppy Half :)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I know this is generally uninteresting but after more than seven years and almost 100 runs I went under 20 minutes this morning. Unexpected as I had ice-cream and beer last night. Never thought I'd do it, possibly never will again. I don't look forward to many things but elated by this.

Can recommend downloading My Net Diary and tracking your macros daily, gives you flexibility in your diet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A beautiful crisp day and still I can't run. My knee is still heavy and slightly sore. I may be partially to blame as, because I can't run, I've been going out for brisk walks most days. Yesterday I thought I'd get my walk in early and went out about 9:30. I finally made it back home at 14:00.

It's been 3 months now. Depressing, particualrly when the weather is so perfect for running right now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Today is the first day I can bend my knee comfortably for six weeks. Next week I start the exercises Jesus gave me to strengthen my upper left leg muscles. Possibly a tiny jog next Sunday.

1477131255155886443437.jpg

Good luck with your recovery. I'm still crocked after 10 weeks. Feel better inside but can't even walk on it without making it worse. Off for 6 weeks in the Himalayas end of November. Decided to go regardless of condition and will volunteer in a school, watch England in India on TV and sample the Himalayan black resin for its therapeutic properties.
So no running till mid January but hopefully a lot of walking. Swimming and easy cycling till it goes.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know this is generally uninteresting but after more than seven years and almost 100 runs I went under 20 minutes this morning. Unexpected as I had ice-cream and beer last night. Never thought I'd do it, possibly never will again. I don't look forward to many things but elated by this.

Can recommend downloading My Net Diary and tracking your macros daily, gives you flexibility in your diet.

Well done. Certainly more interesting than a photo of my feet.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks mate - just got the text was actually 27-11 which wasn't bad considering I felt very easy - having done park run 4 weeks in a row it makes such a difference. Need a longer run in the week this week while it's still just about light after work. 4 weeks today until Poppy Half :)

Good hustle, but make sure you keep doing core work as well, and plenty of hills. Better to run a slower time with a higher elevation in my opinion, makes running on the flat much easier.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good hustle, but make sure you keep doing core work as well, and plenty of hills. Better to run a slower time with a higher elevation in my opinion, makes running on the flat much easier.

All advice welcomed :thumbsup: - I'm doing Hastings again next year so will def get more hills in around then too. I also find running on the flat easier having done hilly runs.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I was at Eastbourne today, very slippery on the wet grass but a good turnout. I haven't been doing parkruns for long but they have definitely helped my overall performance. I recommend you run completely out of any comfort zones and give it full beans. It's over fairly quickly and and the rewards will be felt when running longer distances.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
View attachment 78848

Good luck with your recovery. I'm still crocked after 10 weeks. Feel better inside but can't even walk on it without making it worse. Off for 6 weeks in the Himalayas end of November. Decided to go regardless of condition and will volunteer in a school, watch England in India on TV and sample the Himalayan black resin for its therapeutic properties.
So no running till mid January but hopefully a lot of walking. Swimming and easy cycling till it goes.

Looks really sore, hope that clears up before your trek.

Good job your not going to Canada they've been hunting something with a big foot in the mountains for years. Although I can't see anyone hanging that over the fireplace

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
A bit gutted to have missed parkrun today. But looking forward to the Great South Run tomorrow. And the weather looks good!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Great effort.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bognor Parkrun for me. Pretty ordinary 22:18 but it is a funny course with very many corners. Two 'downers' - lost my rag with someone who threw himself over the line as I was finishing (bloody hell, it's not the Olympics......... but we've all done it; rather annoying/dangerous) and then promptly lost my parkrun ID card. Yesterday I left my book on a train; last week I lost a letter between home and post box but via pub. Warning to all of you in your 30s,40s and 50s - this will be you one day!

Sorry hear to hear of Knocky's and Bozza's continuing injuries.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OK - This is a massive PLEA for advice from you experienced runners...

I have been running about 4 years maybe now. Fairly small distances. I did 6 half marathons in a year which was my biggest achievement so far and have 3 more booked up for the next 6 months. I run usually once a week due to time / childcare & often that is just a 5k park run or 10k gentle run. I am very slow compared to most - my 10k best time 58mins - first half marathon 2-23 but got that down to 2-05PB at Brighton this year. I love the buzz of half marathons - the sense of pride at crossing the line - the running with friends etc...

I entered the ballot for London marathon - kind of hoping I wouldn't get in (which I didn't). A few mates are doing Brighton marathon again and have asked me to consider it. I am. BUT I realise it's a big commitment. I'd probably want to do such an event for charity to spur me on to train properly and make sure I do it. It would be one of my lifetime achievements to complete a marathon hands down... I'm quite a big bloke (nearly 16 stone) but have lost nearly a stone since March and 9lbs in 3 weeks doing Juice-Plus diet with the Mrs and eating much, much better. The weight loss is helping with the running - massively.

Now here's the thing... I'm so so so scared at committing to a marathon! I find halves hard enough and I realise the enormity of the commitment - I'd have to follow a strict training programme and make sure I stick to it and am committed. I realise the enormity of taking on the distance but part of me is buzzing & excited. I don't want people on here to just say 'go for it' if they don't properly mean it. I value the advice of others who know best and there are many on this thread. Just want some advice from as many people as possible please...

Essentially I'm offloading my thoughts on you all so I apologise for the disjointed nature of this post...

PS - I also thought I ought to go to the doctors for an MOT before committing to this- am I being stupid thinking this?

Help appreciated an awful lot so thank you to those who have read and reply...

Much love

Sheebo

If you can run 6 halfs in a year, and given the times you're posting, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind you can do a full marathon. From what you have posed I think the only barrier you have is finding some extra time to put in the required training. Assuming the long run is Sunday* you will need to find 3 or 4 other slots in the week; find these and you can do it. As an aside I prefer to run early morning as you can make as much time for yourself as possible then. I also find I feel better during the day and sleep better at night.

As for diets just follow a sensible "normal" healthy diet; no need for special drinks and stuff. This coupled with exercise is all you really need to get stronger and also trim the weight (I used to be 15 1/2 stone)...in my opinion.

It is a challenge though, and you're right it is a commitment. And at the times the training will be boring, hurt, and/or not go very well both physically and mentally. This is just normal and down to the fact running 26.2 is a bit, well, abnormal. Equally there will be a lot of moments where you think everything is just brilliant.

You can a lot of advise and encouragement on here as well.

Find the time, buy a decent pair of running shoes, post on here, and enjoy crossing the line!

* I presume Brighton still do this but they used to organise group Sunday long runs which were tailored towards those participating in the Brighton race.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This must be on here, but in the off chance it's not, I watched The Barkley Marathons last night, on NetFlix.

Very enjoyable in a random bizarre type stylee.
I'm sure you weirdo joggers :lol: will enjoy it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here