Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Does anyone have any experience of hill training? Fancy giving it a go but am not sure how long / steep the hill should be. I'm guessing it doesn't matter as long as you're running upwards, but interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking about this a few timesView attachment 77601, up over the top of the hill, down the other side and back again, according to Strava a total of 43m elevation gain over 800m

This is my typical hill reps route. Not sure how the measurements compare because this is all in imperial, as opposed to metric https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1321487252

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I just run hills all the time ( perk of living near to Exmoor)
Best training ever and great for stamina
Here is an example of the North Devon Half Marathon I ran in June
7f3543ccaae1e4a4573f3d42d4e1ae59.jpg
74f0f7f5233996fd9437bb24149e3e5a.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good work....800m is about perfect I'd think - 2-3 mins of hard effort and similar recovery time (gentle downhill) is what I usually get prescribed. Sadly not doing any of that at the moment due to a knocky knee but just starting to run a bit after a very frustrating 3 week gap.............
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - sounds like a good run, what would the distance be ?

A VERY rough route, done until I couldn't modify the map any more puts it at just over marathon distance...

I would post the screenshot, but as NSC is still throwing wobblers, that will have to wait. Looks like it could be fun though. Plenty of hills!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Good work....800m is about perfect I'd think - 2-3 mins of hard effort and similar recovery time (gentle downhill) is what I usually get prescribed. Sadly not doing any of that at the moment due to a knocky knee but just starting to run a bit after a very frustrating 3 week gap.............
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - sounds like a good run, what would the distance be ?

Interesting, maybe the hills I ran could be longer, I was not much more than a minute up, minute down (or thereabouts) x 10. Easy enough to lengthen, I was only doing the top bit of the hill really: https://www.strava.com/activities/697145064

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting, maybe the hills I ran could be longer, I was not much more than a minute up, minute down (or thereabouts) x 10. Easy enough to lengthen, I was only doing the top bit of the hill really: https://www.strava.com/activities/697145064

It's not either/or in terms of length - different lengths for different reasons. It's American, but this is one of the better articles on hill reps - explains the benefits and gives some good examples of sessions.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/mastering-hill-workouts

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Let's try again... Here you go, [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]:

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 11.53.43.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does anyone have any experience of hill training? Fancy giving it a go but am not sure how long / steep the hill should be. I'm guessing it doesn't matter as long as you're running upwards, but interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking about this a few timesView attachment 77601, up over the top of the hill, down the other side and back again, according to Strava a total of 43m elevation gain over 800m

My hill repeats look like this...

491bf91a374e5519f77a1293213066f8.jpg

I struggle!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In other news, my knee is still ****ed. I thought it was getting better on holiday, even though we were doing c12-15,000 steps a day around the theme parks. Each morning the pain was less until I was pretty much pain free. I decided to try a short run and the pain came back pretty much immediately and I only made a couple of miles or so (difficult to say as my Garmin was stuffed - presumably it needed time to find the satellites in another part of the world).

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] has suggested Paul at Corals in Hove so I'm going to go and see him to see what he suggests. I've been getting more and more envious every time I see a runner out, as I want to be too!

In other news 2: TK Maxx in Worthing have some Brooks GTS15 in several sizes for £34.99 and some PureFlow for £29.99.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fantastic - and so the NSC Marathon is born............no aid stations, no route markings, self supported, pick a date !
Oh no - what have I started?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In other news, my knee is still ****ed. I thought it was getting better on holiday, even though we were doing c12-15,000 steps a day around the theme parks. Each morning the pain was less until I was pretty much pain free. I decided to try a short run and the pain came back pretty much immediately and I only made a couple of miles or so (difficult to say as my Garmin was stuffed - presumably it needed time to find the satellites in another part of the world).

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] has suggested Paul at Corals in Hove so I'm going to go and see him to see what he suggests. I've been getting more and more envious every time I see a runner out, as I want to be too!

In other news 2: TK Maxx in Worthing have some Brooks GTS15 in several sizes for £34.99 and some PureFlow for £29.99.

Crap news, sorry to hear. Mine is improving but slowly - similar to you I can walk without any issues, but running until this week was pretty much impossible. The knee hasn't been tracking properly (horrible noises, occasional sharp pains, difficulty going down stairs etc and much reduced knee mobility - I can't do a quad stretch) but as the pain has eased a bit the running is starting to help - physio says the muscle memory is kicking in and pulling things back into line. I need to be careful though for a while yet. You've got to find out what the problem is.....I thought mine was cartilage perhaps but it definitely isn't - it's a soft tissue inflammation to the retinaculum (apparently)........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
You prompted me to have a play around..................26.5m starting at Shoreham Rec (easy parking etc) and finishing at the Amex - do it on a (rare Saturday pm) match day, start say 8/9am, then anyone needing to pick their car up can get a train back to Shoreham after the game.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6944841

Hmmm the NSC marathon relying on SASTA to get us home. What could possibly go wrong?!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
You prompted me to have a play around..................26.5m starting at Shoreham Rec (easy parking etc) and finishing at the Amex - do it on a (rare Saturday pm) match day, start say 8/9am, then anyone needing to pick their car up can get a train back to Shoreham after the game.

Plus Pie and a pint instead of a medal.. Liking the idea of this!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm at the top of the WSU!!! Getting DOWN again after that run would require a stretcher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hmmm the NSC marathon relying on SASTA to get us home. What could possibly go wrong?!

More than happy to collect people and bring them back to the start line in SBS...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here