Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran Newick 10k today. The weather was co operative with a nice cool breeze and a little drizzle. The plan was to go sub 44 and beat my nephew in the process. I finished on 44:02 which was enough to win my duel as he came in a couple of minutes behind. Last year I ran this race in 48:50, very happy to take nearly 5 mins off that this time out.
Next race for me is Hellingly 10k in a fortnight which is one of my favourite 10k's on the calendar. Think Hastings half but over 10k. Great for pb's and I'll be going all out to better my 15 year pb of 43:50.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good luck tomorrow. We need to give youngsters times to look up to. Went to Hove Park today ready for a 25" jog but [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] was so fired up his adrenaline transposed into my head. So gave it nearly all. Unfortunately the legs could only get 21:40 in very hot conditions. So that's it for sub 20 efforts until November. Still up for a Parkrun next week. I can play away if you want Eastbourne or wherever. Should be a close finish.

It's imperative you run 5-10 seconds off your race pace for 2-3 miles and then gradually open up. You know it works, I did it in the Phoenix. :lolol:

Shame you didn't benefit from my wind breaking skills today. Much cooler conditions than your effort yesterday which must of been tough. I'll head over to hove next Saturday, sub 21 is still the aim.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Entries for the Mince Pie Ten are now open. It's Sunday 4th December 11am starting at Peacehaven Leisure Centre. Would highly recommend this race and definitely a highlight of the racing year.

Shame you didn't benefit from my wind breaking skills today. Much cooler conditions than your effort yesterday which must of been tough. I'll head over to hove next Saturday, sub 21 is still the aim.

Good victorious, running today. Prom it is then I will do 5x1/2 mile intervals on Tuesday @6:30 pace in preparation to be your rabbit.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Any other Nike+ users totally fed up with the new format? I just can't get on with it, which is a shame as I have logged up over 4600 miles since I started using it 7 years ago. What has always been a great motivational tool is now unrecognisable. Before, I could easily see all my runs in a ice neat graph layout, where I could see where my fitness levels were compared to previous runs.
So, any recommendations for something that does all of the above to replace Nike+?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ran a nice steady half-marathon in 97 minutes today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And I won the Derek Griffiths Bank Holiday Half this morning in a time of 1.58.24. I assume [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] lost their invites in the post.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
And I won the Derek Griffiths Bank Holiday Half this morning in a time of 1.58.24. I assume [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] lost their invites in the post.

i did get it but the appearance money wasn't enough.

Will be booking back in with Jesus ASAP as my run today was aborted at 2.75 miles. It's so frustrating and going on for 3 months+.

No races planned until Barns Green but I may have to miss that, being in no shape whatsoever to run a half marathon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Will be booking back in with Jesus ASAP as my run today was aborted at 2.75 miles. It's so frustrating and going on for 3 months+.

No races planned until Barns Green but I may have to miss that, being in no shape whatsoever to run a half marathon.

When I saw him for the peroneal muscle from rabbit hole wrench I asked about your hamstrung hamstrings. He said, without divulging too much of your medical history, that it was complex as it ran up through your core or something like that. Good luck with getting that sorted.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sir: I'm too simple to work out how to tag on here but if he scrolls quite a bit down this page, there is an excellent picture of Mr Bobkin: https://www.flickr.com/groups/brighton-and-hove-parkrun/pool/

Sorry Mr B, I missed this when looking on my phone over the weekend. Yes, saw that at the time – won't be too long before the trusty yellow gloves are dusted off. Beachy Head marathon two months today, too!

Trying to get 80 miles in for the month so headed out for what turned out to be a decent paced eight miles (this and a warmdown). Bizarrely, the only one above 8min/mile pace was through Shoreham Airport which is normally my fastest or second fastest mile when I go on a run through there...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1327827623

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any other Nike+ users totally fed up with the new format? I just can't get on with it, which is a shame as I have logged up over 4600 miles since I started using it 7 years ago. What has always been a great motivational tool is now unrecognisable. Before, I could easily see all my runs in a ice neat graph layout, where I could see where my fitness levels were compared to previous runs.
So, any recommendations for something that does all of the above to replace Nike+?

I used Nike+ religiously for years and years until I got a Garmin. Fortunately, you can link the two, so your runs still appear on Nike+ as well as Garmin Connect or wherever. I've not looked at it for a couple of weeks though, but the app on my phone looked the same when I checked it a while back. Really useful for locating runs easily, but (in my experience) nowhere near as accurate as the Garmin, which is a shame because I quite liked the 7'25 paced 20-mile runs :lol:

Forget that. I had a much-needed rest day – slept until 8:30 (major lay in for me) and did pretty much bugger all for the day. But good running – gearing up for Bright10 nicely...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

That would be a pity, as it was looking like a good number of the NSC running crowd were planning on doing this one. Your health is more important though.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That would be a pity, as it was looking like a good number of the NSC running crowd were planning on doing this one. Your health is more important though.

I've not given up completely. I hit the foam roller hard last night and again this morning, which seems to have helped. I might try to run more often but no more than half hour and ditch the bike and walk to work to help loosen.

I then have a week off work W/C 12/9 to try and get a longer run in that will tell me if I can do Barns Green. If not that then the Bright 10 will be next.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Did a very enjoyable Newcastle Parkrun on Saturday morning, before the big game.

Quite a flatish course, so finished 2 minutes faster than my normal Tilgate time.

Met 1 Albion couple who were doing the run too. Run director said there were a "number" of Sussex runners :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some of you lot might be aware of my love of random long runs, but I *think* I might have just come up with an Albion-related one. Bear in mind that I've just come up with this idea – I have no idea how long it is, or if it would work, but I thought it might be a bit of fun.

I know the Goldstone-Withdean-Falmer has been walked (or maybe run), but I've been inspired by reading the "Two more sites added...." thread. I'm thinking a run between all of the proposed sites for the new ground, including the Amex.

So...(bear with me):

Start at Shoreham Airport, run up the trail to the Cement Works and then take the SDW all the way across to Ditching Beacon and back down to the Amex, before heading up Mill Hill past Waterhall, up to Toad's Hole Valley, down King George VI and along Goldstone Crescent to Hove Park/Goldstone Ground.

Could potentially be a REMF fundraiser, or just a bit of a laugh (sort of).

Anyway, I'll park it here and hopefully not forget about it. Any thoughts/ideas/alternatives welcomed...

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Does anyone have any experience of hill training? Fancy giving it a go but am not sure how long / steep the hill should be. I'm guessing it doesn't matter as long as you're running upwards, but interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking about this a few times Hills.PNG, up over the top of the hill, down the other side and back again, according to Strava a total of 43m elevation gain over 800m

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Does anyone have any experience of hill training? Fancy giving it a go but am not sure how long / steep the hill should be. I'm guessing it doesn't matter as long as you're running upwards, but interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking about this a few timesView attachment 77601, up over the top of the hill, down the other side and back again, according to Strava a total of 43m elevation gain over 800m

Whoar! I'm thinking of them all the time, especially running along Hove seafront at the moment!

Apologies it is NSC........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For a start to hill running that looks ideal. If you do repeats on them you could do one session where you run up around a hilly 10k pace and run down hill at the same pace to allow for recovery. Build up gradually to the sessions. good luck.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Whoar! I'm thinking of them all the time, especially running along Hove seafront at the moment!

Apologies it is NSC........

Dirty sod.

Ten norks run completed, 5km in total with 170m of climbing at 4:45min/km pace. Felt like throwing up at times but presume that means it's going well... Surprisingly the legs aren't ruined today but I felt done in after the run.

Capture2.PNG

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dirty sod.

Ten norks run completed, 5km in total with 170m of climbing at 4:45min/km pace. Felt like throwing up at times but presume that means it's going well... Surprisingly the legs aren't ruined today but I felt done in after the run.

View attachment 77613

Good work....800m is about perfect I'd think - 2-3 mins of hard effort and similar recovery time (gentle downhill) is what I usually get prescribed. Sadly not doing any of that at the moment due to a knocky knee but just starting to run a bit after a very frustrating 3 week gap.............
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - sounds like a good run, what would the distance be ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here