Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Completed 18 miles in 2 h 36 m this morning, feel back on track after taking a break for a chesty cough and an overworked ankle.

Just received a couple of race packs from High5 this morning, will use one of them for my last long run of 20 miles Sunday after next and then taper for Brighton.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Steyning Stinger marathon for me this morning. Bright and breezy, cold wind on the ridge but not quite as muddy as I was expecting, apart from the woods near the start and the odd stretch here and there. Made a schoolboy error in forgetting my S!Caps, so spent the whole race worried about when the cramp would start but apart from a little but at 24m when I stumbled, it never did. Managed to hang on much better today and finished in 4.20, 30 mins quicker than last year. Felt pretty strong at the end too. Stuck with gels today, plus a couple of aid station biscuits, and seemed to work.

Brilliantly organised, very friendly event by Steyning AC as usual - so obvious the race is set up by people who care about running. Breakfast at the end hit the spot as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/510033411

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Steyning Stinger marathon for me this morning. Bright and breezy, cold wind on the ridge but not quite as muddy as I was expecting, apart from the woods near the start and the odd stretch here and there. Made a schoolboy error in forgetting my S!Caps, so spent the whole race worried about when the cramp would start but apart from a little but at 24m when I stumbled, it never did. Managed to hang on much better today and finished in 4.20, 30 mins quicker than last year. Felt pretty strong at the end too. Stuck with gels today, plus a couple of aid station biscuits, and seemed to work.

Brilliantly organised, very friendly event by Steyning AC as usual - so obvious the race is set up by people who care about running. Breakfast at the end hit the spot as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/510033411

Well done! Steyning AC has a really good reputation (race walking as well as running I believe) and they obviously did you proud.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Better late than never: No parkrun, but 16 miles to Brighton and back. I think I need to take a leaf out of [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]'s and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s book and head onto the hills for a bit of variety. Just need to wait for the mornings to get a bit lighter, given my silly start times!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1076127319

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Better late than never: No parkrun, but 16 miles to Brighton and back. I think I need to take a leaf out of [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]'s and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s book and head onto the hills for a bit of variety. Just need to wait for the mornings to get a bit lighter, given my silly start times!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1076127319

I thought I started early yesterday but you and knocky were both out before me. I'm slipping!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Had a cold for the past two weeks so used it as an excuse not to run but looking forward to getting back out there today and take on Valley Drive, my second favourite hill in Brighton.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Third week in and I'm slowly picking up the miles again.

Week 1 - 3 runs / 12.4 miles
Week 2 - 3 runs / 14.0 miles
Week 3 - 3 runs / 15.3 miles

My Sunday 'long run' is not currently very long at all, but I did the same 6.4 miles at 9:40/mi this week when it was 10:04/mi last week. A very long way from my 7:54/mi covering the same loop in early August last year!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That's a serious improvement! Was it on the same course? Has anyone on the thread tried the Bevendean PR yet? The finishing times look horrendous.........

Not yet, but would like to at some point. Looks a tough course winning time is usually well in excess of 20 minutes.

Went out for my long run tonight and for the first 16.25 miles it seemed fairly comfortable but fatigue came crashing down and the final 1.75 was tough. Really hurting now so 18 will be my longest run as recovery for runs of this distance and over are too punishing.

Rest week now as I'm ahead of schedule so frequent smaller runs of no more than 10 to tide me over.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1076641738

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not yet, but would like to at some point. Looks a tough course winning time is usually well in excess of 20 minutes.

Went out for my long run tonight and for the first 16.25 miles it seemed fairly comfortable but fatigue came crashing down and the final 1.75 was tough. Really hurting now so 18 will be my longest run as recovery for runs of this distance and over are too punishing.

Rest week now as I'm ahead of schedule so frequent smaller runs of no more than 10 to tide me over.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1076641738

Good pace you deserve recovery.
I've also decided to mix the schedule this week. Plan on doing the long run of 20m on Thursday not Sunday. Switching a 12m to Sunday. This should allow me to get the marathon mileage in early next week and still have a short taper for Hastings half from Thursday to Saturday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
"Michigan" session this morning. Perfect conditions for a bit of speed work. 15 min warm up then 5 miles alternating between 8"00s and 7"35s. Fun in a "can I stop and puke now please" kind of way. Only two victims to overtake though :(

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
5 times 7.15 ish miles with 3 min rest periods for me this morning, nice until you realise you have to get to work for a meeting and despite a cold shower end up sweating in your shirt. Gross.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
"Michigan" session this morning. Perfect conditions for a bit of speed work. 15 min warm up then 5 miles alternating between 8"00s and 7"35s. Fun in a "can I stop and puke now please" kind of way. Only two victims to overtake though :(

Happy I'm doing my 8m anaerobic 10" slog later on today. What a shock if you had passed me at around 7" mile pace. I'd have thought you had managed to attain @BNs marathon pace!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Happy I'm doing my 8m anaerobic 10" slog later on today. What a shock if you had passed me at around 7" mile pace. I'd have thought you had managed to attain @BNs marathon pace!

:lolol:

There's no chance of that AT ALL!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/bevendeandown/news/

44 runners some I know from Hove Park. They are 2-3 minutes down on time as you have pointed out. May try and get there Saturday. With only 44 runners I wonder how long before it is closed.

Could be a bit of a seasonal thing? You get the impression it could be a bit of a mud-fest which might put wimps like me off at this time of year. But when it warms up/dries out I'm up for it. Looking forward to reading your review if you make it there on Sat.
I'm planning to cycle to Bognor (34 mile round trip) and do the PR there. Good training for the upcoming duathlon. Got myself better bike - just the entry level Halford's road bike (Carrera TDF) with (crucially) the right size of frame for a shorty. This after admitting that I just can't flog any speed out of my hybrid. So far very pleased with new acquisition.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sounds like a decent session, well done.

I had all the intentions of running this morning, but decided to go to work instead. Bad runner :nono:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
5 times 7.15 ish miles with 3 min rest periods for me this morning, nice until you realise you have to get to work for a meeting and despite a cold shower end up sweating in your shirt. Gross.
I read this before and thought you'd done five lots of 7.15 miles (i.e. 22 and a bit miles) with rest periods.

I think I get what you mean now :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here