Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just seen your time, best so far this year. Was it a sprint finish with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] noticed a mere 4 second gap between you.

Another great run for you well done!

Not really a race between us, I think [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was trying to sneak up and take me on the line but I was trying to stay ahead of another runner who I could hear chasing me down the final straight. I'm nothing if not consistent at the moment last four runs have been between 21:11 and 21:16.

Congrats also to [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] on his hundredth parkrun today - sorry did not get a chance to speak but from what I could see of you in the distance you are back on form.

18-19 miles tomorrow, dare I take on Truleigh again - now I know what to expect I'm not so sure!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A pretty ordinary 22:19 for me today. First time that I've tried the Haywards Heath (Clair Park) parkrun and quite a tough little course it is too. It is apparently net downhill but it doesn't feel like it!

Too hilly and narrow for a timed 5k really........I am always at leat a minute slower than at Hove or PP

Anybody else doing Steyning on Sunday?

Yup. Cold today, extra layers if not any warmer to tomorrow

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, considering wearing my compression tights tomorrow, would be the first time this winter.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another great run for you well done!

Not really a race between us, I think [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was trying to sneak up and take me on the line but I was trying to stay ahead of another runner who I could hear chasing me down the final straight. I'm nothing if not consistent at the moment last four runs have been between 21:11 and 21:16.

Congrats also to [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] on his hundredth parkrun today - sorry did not get a chance to speak but from what I could see of you in the distance you are back on form.

18-19 miles tomorrow, dare I take on Truleigh again - now I know what to expect I'm not so sure!

Exactly. I was racing you but thought it better not to let you know. The ambush failed but I enjoyed the run out today. Back to plodding tomorrow with a 17 miler. Good luck all Stingers.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Yes I'm having a go. Weather looks good and expecting a good turn out. I need to break all my pb's in order to make lunch with my 85 year old mother. Total lack of preparation though so thinking of letting mother take my place as she would be far quicker.

I'm not sure whether to use it as a training run or to go for it. I'll make up my mind once I've got up the hill between miles 2-3, if I feel ok I'll go for a PB, if not I'll back off. I've not done Eastbourne before so looking forward to a new half.
Good luck if you do decide to do it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure whether to use it as a training run or to go for it. I'll make up my mind once I've got up the hill between miles 2-3, if I feel ok I'll go for a PB, if not I'll back off. I've not done Eastbourne before so looking forward to a new half.
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] ran it last year said it was a good climb at 2-3 miles as you say. I looked it up and Eastbourne is around 400' elevation to Hastings 790'. So a good climb for you and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION], or his mum, tomorrow. Enjoy it.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I've not done it before but looking at the course you and knocky are right looks pretty flat after an early climb. I got really pleased for everyone doing pb's at Brighton last week and wanted to continue the trend but I'm just not ready for that so I'm going to use it as a training run and enjoy the day.
Good luck however you run it

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck everyone tomorrow either at Steyning or Eastbourne. As [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] says I did Eastbourne last year and enjoyed it. Big hill soon after the start but early enough that you are still feeling pretty fresh. Then it's an about turn and charge down the hill to the sea front, nice long straight run with views out to sea before you hit the marina. This bit is n't such fun - lots of twists and turns In and out of the wind as I remember it. Finally don't get caught out at the end! You see the finish but have to run past it before doubling back about 300m further on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep good luck in Eastbourne and in the Stinger everyone.

Nice easy 13 mile jog in the breaking sunshine this morning. A genuinely beautiful morning and one of the perks of running early.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just completed 3 miles. Starting on 4 next week.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
What a beautiful morning for running- at last! After sorting out the Mother's Day stuff, set off for 19m/30.5 km in 2:48. Same route as last week - to Shoreham, up the river, over Truleigh and Devils Dyke and then back through Benfield Valley with a couple of extra kms tacked on at the start. Very slippy on the Downs this morning and Devils Dyke car park heaving by 10:30.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Eastbourne half went ok, I felt good going up the hill around mile 3. I tried to keep a steady 7:30 minutes miles which I felt comfortable at. I then met my mate at mile 11 who was on PB pace so I backed off a bit and tried to get him home under 1:40 which he did.
Lovely conditions for running, I got a bit frustrated with the turns and how narrow it was around the harbour. Also it was quite narrow at the start and finish.
That being said I feel it was a nice race to do.
How did anyone else who did you find it Penny's Harmonica?
https://www.strava.com/activities/509991271

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What a beautiful morning for running- at last! After sorting out the Mother's Day stuff, set off for 19m/30.5 km in 2:48. Same route as last week - to Shoreham, up the river, over Truleigh and Devils Dyke and then back through Benfield Valley with a couple of extra kms tacked on at the start. Very slippy on the Downs this morning and Devils Dyke car park heaving by 10:30.

Similar route anti clockwise and a bit earlier. Beautiful as you say. Fingerless gloves were a mistake for the first frosty 9 miles. only one car at the Dyke at 7am and the 3 overnighters. Was happy to cross you with 16 miles behind me that were 16 miles in front of you. Good Hastings training.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Eastbourne half went ok, I felt good going up the hill around mile 3. I tried to keep a steady 7:30 minutes miles which I felt comfortable at. I then met my mate at mile 11 who was on PB pace so I backed off a bit and tried to get him home under 1:40 which he did.
Lovely conditions for running, I got a bit frustrated with the turns and how narrow it was around the harbour. Also it was quite narrow at the start and finish.
That being said I feel it was a nice race to do.
How did anyone else who did you find it Penny's Harmonica?
https://www.strava.com/activities/509991271

I enjoyed it. Conditions were near perfect with barely any wind in glorious sunshine. I found the start a bit frustrating as it took me 6 minutes to get out of the park due to the park gate bottleneck but otherwise thought it all well organised and supported. Didn't mind the harbour twists and turns. Garmin said I did it in 1:51 but think my official time will be slower. If I go again next year I'll make sure I'm at the front. Sounds like you did a comfortable run at a decent pace, well done. Hastings next up for me where I hope to quicker

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I enjoyed it. Conditions were near perfect with barely any wind in glorious sunshine. I found the start a bit frustrating as it took me 6 minutes to get out of the park due to the park gate bottleneck but otherwise thought it all well organised and supported. Didn't mind the harbour twists and turns. Garmin said I did it in 1:51 but think my official time will be slower. If I go again next year I'll make sure I'm at the front. Sounds like you did a comfortable run at a decent pace, well done. Hastings next up for me where I hope to quicker

Great time considering the start. I found the same at the start, it took while to get moving.
I'm onwards to Hastings too, then it's the final few weeks preparation for Brighton marathon.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry - only just seen this.

I was running halfs last year once a month, with my longest run being 15 or 16 miles. These were just me going out running though - I meant I'd not competed in, and completed, a competitive event.

I hope to be back at that distance again come May or June.

Nothing beats doing a proper event - Brighton or Hastings the best local halfs - you'll also go quicker in a proper event for sure :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here