Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Took the kids to a Haven caravan park near Pagham for the weekend. Yesterday I pedalled round all of it twice with smallest in a pedal car. Last night I watched England with my son and lots of other blokes which is an event if ever there was one, and I therefore had not one but TWO pints of bitter and a bacon burger. I know.

Slept in late this morning and then took off round the park until the watch hit 5k. It was totally flat (except some killer speed bumps that needed to be hurdled) and windless and I therefore managed my second fastest 5k ever despite constantly checking the Garmin for distance. A smidge over 25 mins at 25.02 (says phone Strava) or 25.10 (says watch).

Spent two hours this afternoon throwing the kids round the swimming pool and going up and down the ladder to the water slide.

I think this is officially my first triathlon :lolol:

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Took the kids to a Haven caravan park near Pagham for the weekend. Yesterday I pedalled round all of it twice with smallest in a pedal car. Last night I watched England with my son and lots of other blokes which is an event if ever there was one, and I therefore had not one but TWO pints of bitter and a bacon burger. I know.

Slept in late this morning and then took off round the park until the watch hit 5k. It was totally flat (except some killer speed bumps that needed to be hurdled) and windless and I therefore managed my second fastest 5k ever despite constantly checking the Garmin for distance. A smidge over 25 mins at 25.02 (says phone Strava) or 25.10 (says watch).

Spent two hours this afternoon throwing the kids round the swimming pool and going up and down the ladder to the water slide.

I think this is officially my first triathlon :lolol:

Awesome athletic achievement BUT (and with respect) I really think you should start a Triathlon thread? Mere runners like me can't live with this level of performance.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Went out last night at 8:30 first time I've run in the dark for some time. Only had an hour to run so managed to cover 8.65 miles in one hour and 20 seconds.

2 weeks now until the Arena 80, 10k at Hove Lagoon would like to get in around 40:30 with the Brooks 10k in November where I will look to break 40 minutes.

Pleased my park run time can be re-added due to its historical significance!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went out last night at 8:30 first time I've run in the dark for some time. Only had an hour to run so managed to cover 8.65 miles in one hour and 20 seconds.

As ever, very impressive pace. I was out around the same time - my first proper run for 3 weeks with a slow 10 miles. I feel better for being back on it though.

One of my current goals in 8 miles in under an hour. I'm some way from that, but I think it's achievable.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
HELP NEEDED!

I'm running the Great North Run next Sunday and just over the past couple of days a very painful blister has formed on the sole of my right foot. I haven't had a blister for about 4 years so to say I'm pissed off with the timing would be an understatement.

Any and all advice on what to do/how to treat it would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To pop or not to pop?

Pop and drain (making sure hole is big enough to stop it reforming), leave uncovered for as long as possible as it will heal much quicker if exposed. Skin will dry and die very quickly, trim off as you can. probably best to cover it for the run as new skin will be more sensitive. Good luck - should be plenty of time to get it manageable

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As ever, very impressive pace. I was out around the same time - my first proper run for 3 weeks with a slow 10 miles. I feel better for being back on it though.

One of my current goals in 8 miles in under an hour. I'm some way from that, but I think it's achievable.

You're where I was this time last year. It took me 3 attempts to nail it from memory the first attempt 7.75 miles then 7.98 followed by success. Not too far later I managed to extend the run to 90 minutes maintaining the same pace.

Keep us updated on your progress, I found running to a time limit rather than distance improved me massively

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're where I was this time last year. It took me 3 attempts to nail it from memory the first attempt 7.75 miles then 7.98 followed by success. Not too far later I managed to extend the run to 90 minutes maintaining the same pace.

Keep us updated on your progress, I found running to a time limit rather than distance improved me massively

Funny you should say that! Even though my legs are feeling stiff and heavy from last night, I've just been out for a jog in the sun and that was one of the thoughts I had whilst I was out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pop and drain (making sure hole is big enough to stop it reforming), leave uncovered for as long as possible as it will heal much quicker if exposed. Skin will dry and die very quickly, trim off as you can. probably best to cover it for the run as new skin will be more sensitive. Good luck - should be plenty of time to get it manageable

Really appreciated, thank you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

On race predictors that gives a 22 minute 5k and a 1:41 half marathon. That is good going.

My goal is to revisit a sub 20 5k. I will give it one go in November and await the NSC Challengers to set the date. After that I will follow a marathon training plan but will be back next summer to beat this years 5k time that is unlikely to be sub 20.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Ran a sort of intervals session this morning. Jogged the first mile, second mile at threshold / VO2 Max, half a mile jogged, half a mile at threshold, cool down. The second mile was my fastest ever at 7.37. For fans of stats or looking at hospital charts in horror the Strava pace graph was a particularly pleasing one.

1intervals.JPG

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ran a sort of intervals session this morning. Jogged the first mile, second mile at threshold / VO2 Max, half a mile jogged, half a mile at threshold, cool down. The second mile was my fastest ever at 7.37. For fans of stats or looking at hospital charts in horror the Strava pace graph was a particularly pleasing one.

View attachment 68334

Good effort. Big difference between threshold and VO2 max though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good effort. Big difference between threshold and VO2 max though.

Cheers!

Strava Premium splits your pace per run in to zones so I took the terms from there. Some time definitely needs to be moved to the section above where it actually is because it refuses to save my Phoenix 10k time as my 10k PB but that's what it's based on.

Attachments

• 1vo2.JPG
    1vo2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 92

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Am planning to run the Hove Prom parkrun for the first time on Sat. Naturally I'd like to do a good time. Can anyone advise on how to fine-tune my blood doping in time for the race?

I believe there was an instructional video shown at prime time recently called Panorama and partially set in Oregan,

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Am planning to run the Hove Prom parkrun for the first time on Sat. Naturally I'd like to do a good time. Can anyone advise on how to fine-tune my blood doping in time for the race?

Winds are likely to be a strong south,south,westerly so perfect for Hove Park. Hove Prom is nice and flat but a dull course in comparison to Hove Park.

I'll make a decision on the day as to which one I enter but I'm definitely running the prom on the 26th as a couple of work colleagues are sub 19 minute 5k runners so I'm going to use them as pacemakers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers!

Strava Premium splits your pace per run in to zones so I took the terms from there. Some time definitely needs to be moved to the section above where it actually is because it refuses to save my Phoenix 10k time as my 10k PB but that's what it's based on.

Excellent running GB.......

Was the Pheonix distance (very slightly) under 10k on your Garmin ? If so, that's why it won't recognise it as your best 10k effort. You can load it manually in the 'all time PB' section (including a link to official results) if you want

Those Strava zones are interesting - I might sign up on that basis. I use zones to gauge effort for almost all the running I do (my plan is defined by zones in most caes - ie this morning's run is supposed to be an hour easy/Z2 and 20 mins Z3/marathon pace for example). In terms of the spread they look very similar to what my coach has put together based on several months data (he revises the zones every 2-3 months)

ZoneZone DescriptionMy Plan DescriptionRelative Race Distance for EffortYour Current Range in min per mile
1RecoveryRecovery/ V Easy100 mileSlower than 9:00
2EasyEasy50km - 100km8:06 - 9:00
3TempoSteady/ TempoHalf Mara - Mara6:57 - 8:05
4ThresholdThreshold5km - 10km6:31 - 6:57
5VO2 Max95%/ Close to All OutShort intervals; 800s - 1.5miles6:07 - 6:31
6AnaerobicAll OutSprintFaster than 6:06

Edit - sorry formatting is crap, but hopefully makes sense

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Excellent running GB.......

Was the Pheonix distance (very slightly) under 10k on your Garmin ? If so, that's why it won't recognise it as your best 10k effort. You can load it manually in the 'all time PB' section (including a link to official results) if you want

Those Strava zones are interesting - I might sign up on the basis. I use zones to gauge effort for almost all the running I do (my plan is defined by zones in most caes - ie this morning's run is supposed to be an hour easy/Z2 and 20 mins Z3/marathon pace for example). In terms of the spread they look very similar to what my coach has put together based on several months data (he revises the zones every 2-3 months)

Zone Zone Description My Plan Description Relative Race Distance for Effort Your Current Range in min per mile
1 Recovery Recovery/ V Easy 100 mile Slower than 9:00
2 Easy Easy 50km - 100km 8:06 - 9:00
3 Tempo Steady/ Tempo Half Mara - Mara 6:57 - 8:05
4 Threshold Threshold 5km - 10km 6:31 - 6:57
5 VO2 Max 95%/ Close to All Out Short intervals; 800s - 1.5miles 6:07 - 6:31
6 Anaerobic All Out Sprint Faster than 6:06

Cheers!

No the Phoenix PB is registered OK in my Garmin. When you go Premium on Strava you have to put your current PB in to your profile to set the pace zones. I have now edited it and pressed "save" three times but it keeps reverting to my Worthing time. It's either a bug or I'm being stupid. I'll play with it again when I get back from my lunchtime run over the hills today.

Edit - I've just thought that I kept Strava running at Phoenix while I stopped the Garmin on the line, I bet Strava thinks the Worthing time is my best. I'll just have to go out there and beat it :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here