Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Completed the Will Page Newick 10k this morning. My target was sub 50 and managed to come in at 48:50 so very happy with that.
It's my 3rd year in this race after a long break from running and 2 years ago posted 1:06 which spurred me on to do more.
Now celebrating with some long man draught ale.

Excellent! I just failed at the same target last time with a 50.55 but now just have longer races to look forward to. That sub-50 is going to have to get beaten in training.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Week 5 of my Round Norfolk Relay training, ran my 10.59 mile leg distance ran in 6.32 pace down from 6.40's Three more weeks to go so with a fair win sub 6.30 is well within my grasp.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Week 5 of my Round Norfolk Relay training, ran my 10.59 mile leg distance ran in 6.32 pace down from 6.40's Three more weeks to go so with a fair win sub 6.30 is well within my grasp.

That's a great performance. Not in any way taking anything away from it but is Norfolk as flat as most of us think? If not, then yours is an even more impressive time. 6.30 pace is there for the taking surely?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This morning I completed an 11 mile run in an unremarkable time. I had a break in the middle though.

My longest of long runs have been through Shoreham this month and each time I've done it I've passed the Toll Bridge twice. Today I ran to the bridge with my Brighton scarf in a carrier bag and left it there, tied near the England flag as a mark of respect. Even though it was 7.30 in the morning there were plenty of people there contemplating silently.

I stayed a while and read the messages. I could not believe how many there were.

It turns out that not only did Snoobs know a couple of my friends from REMF games but his Mum is also my friend's daughter's teacher. These friends lost their son suddenly when he had just turned 18 and Mrs Shilt apparently helped their daughter though the worst of it. Although I was taking a scarf down there to tie with the football family tributes it was this thought that kept appearing and I had to move on before I lost it.

Having a break at least allowed me to pound a very decent next mile before tiredness overtook me again on the way home, having run most of the 11 miles with a swirling crosswind, not strong but never behind me. I have also been on the wine every day this week and I think taking this route today will allow me to break that cycle too.

View attachment 68130
Great story - glad to see you're back in SBS.

20 miles this morning in 2:54. All sub 9min/miles apart from the last two (one of which was also over the Toll Bridge.

IOW marathon is looming large

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You buggers have all been getting faster while I have been eating and drinking, and hardly doing any running, for the last month. I need to pull my finger out......will probably toddle down to HP on Saturday of anyone else is going to be about. My coach wants a 'checkpoint' 5k. I reckon about 21.00 at the moment but may be optimistic.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
That's a great performance. Not in any way taking anything away from it but is Norfolk as flat as most of us think? If not, then yours is an even more impressive time. 6.30 pace is there for the taking surely?

My leg is pretty flat but a couple of elevations. Up on the North Norfolk coast it is very hilly. More like Lincolnshire is the true Fens

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You buggers have all been getting faster while I have been eating and drinking, and hardly doing any running, for the last month. I need to pull my finger out......will probably toddle down to HP on Saturday of anyone else is going to be about. My coach wants a 'checkpoint' 5k. I reckon about 21.00 at the moment but may be optimistic.

Yeah, but that's what [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] has been doing and he had a storming parkrun at the weekend!

You're still the distance king, anyway Dazza :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Here's a weighty question. I'm assuming (I might be wrong) that many of us started running to lose or control our weight especially the beer monsters. But as we get quicker and start to try to whittle down our times maybe we switch from 'running to lose weight' to 'losing weight to run (faster)'.
Any personal reflections on this? Maybe even the odd inspirational story?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's a weighty question. I'm assuming (I might be wrong) that many of us started running to lose or control our weight especially the beer monsters. But as we get quicker and start to try to whittle down our times maybe we switch from 'running to lose weight' to 'losing weight to run (faster)'.

18 stone when I started.......a former boss (100 marathon club member) gave me a few 'home truths' when we were working away. Went to the hotel gym with him and did 2 mins on a treadmill, nearly killed me. Joined a gym when we got back from that trip, started going further and further on the treadmill before doing a run outside after a few months (3 miles). Joined a running club a few months later.

Have been training well for most of this year and have improved with the help of a proper coach, but know I could do better if I lost a few lbs (hover about 12.5st now). Willpower on crappy food and red wine isn't good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm certain there are a few of us but I'll let the others tell theirs. The above is me to a tee though. I was working in London, had two small kids, never got out. I'd leave the house at 6.00 to get the train, train / tube straight to my office (Canary Wharf), sit at a desk all day, get home about 7, put kids to bed, eat enormous dinner, open bottle of wine. That was unless there was a work do on in which case you can add burgers / tacos and several pints to the mix.

In October 2014, in conjunction with three other senior managers we made a recommendation to our board to allow people to work from home most of the time. They could do it once a week but everyone was using different days and, when they were coming in, the work at London Bridge was making them so late they were unproductive for the first hour. By November I was doing so as well. One day I looked at myself in the reflection of a car mirror and nearly barfed. I was 100 kilos. I decided to jog around working as I didn't have the train journey.

My first jogging attempts were laughable and in all the wrong gear and I stopped again for Christmas and got back on the food and beer. However, this was with the specific aim of having a dry January and entering the BM10k so that I could get all the weight back off. I bought some Brooks GTS 14s from Run in Hove and entered the race online, following their beginners training schedule. I also posted on here and got really good advice with everyone and started a little virtual rivalry with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] which he's smashing :)

Did the BM10k in 55.15, Worthing 10k in 52.26 and Phoenix in 50.55. I've also run a sub 25 min 5k and a 2hour 6 half marathon (5k as part of a 10k race and HM in training). I'm now 83 kilos and "normal" BMI.

I watch what I eat all the time to keep the weight to this or just below. I've had a bit of a wine blow out last week but am only doing "event drinking" in September and October so I can run a sub 1.30 in the Bright10.

I feel I need a very structured training plan and so I spent this morning making myself one for that race.

1plan.JPG

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No Park Run today as haven't run for a week and wanted some mile under my belt so I ran 8 miles this morning from Hove Street to Shoreham and back in 56:53.

Hoping to get out Monday morning and then Park Run next week whether that be Hove Prom or Hove Park. I'll probably let the wind speed dictate.

https://connect.garmin.com/splits/881236663

Long rang forecast is showing North West winds settling in for the week ahead. Only 12 mph but enough to hit our bows as we run up our gorgeous Hove Park hill and slow us down.

At the moment I think we should head for the Prom and have the wind hit our port sides and starboard sides. I leave the final decision to @BigNuts as he is after the NSC Hove Park Parkrun record and the weather may change.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
After what felt like weeks of running in pain (back & hamstring) I've had 10 days complete rest but need to get back on it as I'm doing the Eden Project marathon in October. Fingers crossed.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Long rang forecast is showing North West winds settling in for the week ahead. Only 12 mph but enough to hit our bows as we run up our gorgeous Hove Park hill and slow us down.

At the moment I think we should head for the Prom and have the wind hit our port sides and starboard sides. I leave the final decision to @BigNuts as he is after the NSC Hove Park Parkrun record and the weather may change.

One factor to add in is that Preston Park is cancelled on Saturday - it may be that quite a few from their give the prom a go I reckon. However major factor for me is its Mrs Simgull's 50th run and she wants to do that at Hove Park as her home run, so it'll be Hove Park for me.

Nice to back on home turf - 16km sea front run in the rain this morning in 1:19. Interesting to see what Brighton looks like on a wet Bank Holiday Monday- got to feel sorry for all those empty cafes and the organisers of and the stall holders of the food festival. Nice hearty wave from BigNuts and some relief he did not overtake me on the way home.

Four weeks prep now for Barns Green HM.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I had forgotten how nice it is to run without the sun beating down on you, far cooler and a nice northerly wind blowing across. The aim was to run at least 10 miles and it was one of those days where it felt pretty effortless and if it was not for time constraints I would have probably gone on to around 12 miles.

Went Easterly today along the seafront and up Dukes Mound, turning at the Ovingdean roundabout. 10.33 miles altogether in 1:13:34 average pace of 7:08.

A friendly wave to Simgull at the Concorde 2 who must have just returned from his France holiday. I'm easy on the Park Run destination Saturday, I've made a very loose rule that if the wind speed is above 8 MPH then it's Hove Park.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/883960962

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got home from Florida today and despite feeling a bit shite, and after watching Burgess Hill Town win, decided to stretch the legs. Jees what a relief to run in English weather again. I tried a few short plods on holiday but died on my arse after 20-30 mins every time. 90 degs and close to 100% humidity was almost impossible. Likely to be HP for me Saturday

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had forgotten how nice it is to run without the sun beating down on you, far cooler and a nice northerly wind blowing across.

Oh yes, I'm usually quicker when there is a slight breeze... and maybe a bit of drizzle.

Although I didn't run in Parkrun on Saturday, I had the very pleasant experience of being one of the marshals (with help from both Junior (who isn't quite old enough to join in yet) and Littlest Orange) at the local Junior Parkrun - great to see so many kids getting involved and having fun. Here's hoping they keep it up.

Ran a recovery run for my impromptu half marathon on Saturday last night after the kids went to bed. Started slow to get my legs moving and gradually built the pace around the circuit, finishing with a sub 7:30 mile average overall. So I'm happy with that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice walk today from Glynde over Mt Caburn to Lewes. On return the lovely beagle we look after fell off a stile and started limping. Had to carry him to the road at the Opera House. Car was a 2 mile run away for me in the p*ssing rain. Not a bad workout. Picked him and her up but he is still a bit sore.
I'll be up for Hove Park Saturday. If Dazzer runs his predicted 21 minutes, I'll be happy. If not, he'll beat me again. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here