Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Has anyone entered the Arena 80 10k race on Sunday 20th September? It's two laps of hove seafront starting at 10:30.

I'm in! I've just signed up for it, thanks for mentioning it, I need to get better at finding race events.

I'm still resting my right knee, it's very sore. I was up at 6am this morning, so I could have headed out for a dash, but it's just not right at the moment.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Today's (Bognor for me) Parkrun performance: 21:39 (AG 74.06%)

Hmmm. I think you are already up 10 seconds on my possible equivalent AG time on September 5th. Still I will give it a go and hope for a strong wind to push me up the Hove Park Mountain. I need to aim at 20:40 on the day as it stands. Not easy with a stomach awash with real ale and cider.

You have set me a good November training target!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is actually from Saturday morning, but with one thing and another I'm only getting around to putting it up here now.

Was meant to be a slow-ish paced 19 miles but I woke up late, so had to change plans. Ended up running around Shoreham-by-Sea, including through the airport, which couldn't have been more different to how it became just a few hours later. Buzzing with excitement of people waiting to go in (I figured they wouldn't try and stop a mad runner), and then I looked down as I got to the top of Truleigh Hill and the second car park, and it looked as impressive as ever. That view is my favourite spot in the world and I realised today that I would never look at it again in the same way.

Sorry, I know that's a bit deep for a running thread, but I seem to feel worse about the whole thing as time goes on – that comes from being born and bred here, I guess. I've not run since then, either, but that's through being lazy and busy as opposed to anything else.

Will probably head out on Wednesday morning along the Toll Bridge, check out the floral displays and get back on track...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/876272101

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is actually from Saturday morning, but with one thing and another I'm only getting around to putting it up here now.

Was meant to be a slow-ish paced 19 miles but I woke up late, so had to change plans. Ended up running around Shoreham-by-Sea, including through the airport, which couldn't have been more different to how it became just a few hours later. Buzzing with excitement of people waiting to go in (I figured they wouldn't try and stop a mad runner), and then I looked down as I got to the top of Truleigh Hill and the second car park, and it looked as impressive as ever. That view is my favourite spot in the world and I realised today that I would never look at it again in the same way.

Sorry, I know that's a bit deep for a running thread, but I seem to feel worse about the whole thing as time goes on – that comes from being born and bred here, I guess. I've not run since then, either, but that's through being lazy and busy as opposed to anything else.

Will probably head out on Wednesday morning along the Toll Bridge, check out the floral displays and get back on track...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/876272101

I had just started to fall in love with my half marathon loop round Shoreham. Not entirely sure when I'm going to be able to face it again though.

This morning I ran out of gas entirely after 4 k of a supposed 6 k recovery jog. Managed completely consistent splits of 5.50 for the first four but the fifth took 6.50 and I was struggling to breathe properly. I took that as a sign to stop and walked the final k to slowly get my heart rate down.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Despite being August, I've decided my season is over and I'll start to build to next year. Running has come with all kinds of tweaks and aches so I'm going to look at 6 months of -

- increasing long runs, making absolutely sure that I keep the pace steady (have started using heart rate for runs as well now)
- hills only for anything higher intensity
- 2-3/week of my glute strengthening/core work etc. to keep the hip injury at bay

Hopefully with will get me into half ironman shape for next year and, potentially, building from that fitness to the Bournemouth marathon next October (sub 3hr is the aim).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Hopefully with will get me into half ironman shape for next year and, potentially, building from that fitness to the Bournemouth marathon next October (sub 3hr is the aim).

This reminded me. Yesterday we took the kids to the Natural History Museum. We befriended another family on the tube who had been going the wrong way on the Circle Line and then ended up behind us in a long queue to get in. My wife spoke to the dad for a while and then said to me in an impressed voice "he's done the London Marathon!"

To me that meant as in done once for charity or he'd got lucky with the ballot. I asked which it was to find out that he'd qualified through his club, run sub three hours and completed 10 marathons world wide.

"I'm aiming for sub 4 and a half at Brighton next year" I mumbled before making a mental note to ask the Mrs to get the full picture next time,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This reminded me. Yesterday we took the kids to the Natural History Museum. We befriended another family on the tube who had been going the wrong way on the Circle Line and then ended up behind us in a long queue to get in. My wife spoke to the dad for a while and then said to me in an impressed voice "he's done the London Marathon!"

To me that meant as in done once for charity or he'd got lucky with the ballot. I asked which it was to find out that he'd qualified through his club, run sub three hours and completed 10 marathons world wide.

"I'm aiming for sub 4 and a half at Brighton next year" I mumbled before making a mental note to ask the Mrs to get the full picture next time,

But that's the thing with running - everyone's different and you're only competing against yourself. I gave up trying to compare myself to others because there is no point - there is always someone that has gone faster, further or for longer than you...

A marathon is a hell of an achievement, regardless of how long it takes. But then to other people, a half marathon is as much of a challenge.

Keep going, and get round that Shoreham-by-Sea route again soon :thumbsup:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
But that's the thing with running - everyone's different and you're only competing against yourself. I gave up trying to compare myself to others because there is no point - there is always someone that has gone faster, further or for longer than you...

A marathon is a hell of an achievement, regardless of how long it takes. But then to other people, a half marathon is as much of a challenge.

Exactly - horses for courses. My talents lie very much in anything requiring an engine and certainly not ball sports!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I agree with that, you can't really compare yourself to others unless you are at the very pinnacle of the sport.

I've only ever tried to challenge myself, as if I was to try and compare myself to other runners even within my own family I'd probably give it up as a lost cause (I have a cousin who won Hastings Half twice and holds the Sussex record for marathon at 2:12:41, and an Uncle who was a training partner of Ron Hill)!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But that's the thing with running - everyone's different and you're only competing against yourself.
I'm not only competing against myself! I want to beat anyone in front of me and stop anyone coming up from behind during races.
I rarely get what I want though.

Yeah, I guess that's true, but the training makes you realise that's never gonna happen...

Talking of which are you back on it after you 'break' for the Ashes?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I agree with that, you can't really compare yourself to others unless you are at the very pinnacle of the sport.

I've only ever tried to challenge myself, as if I was to try and compare myself to other runners even within my own family I'd probably give it up as a lost cause (I have a cousin who won Hastings Half twice and holds the Sussex record for marathon at 2:12:41, and an Uncle who was a training partner of Ron Hill)!

Wow! I love Hastings Half, probably my favourite ever race. What times did he win it in, out of interest?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Talking of which are you back on it after you 'break' for the Ashes?

It's been a hard July/August consisting of Parkruns most Saturday's and one run in the week. This has led to steadily decreasing times. Saturday September 5th I will test myself at Hove Park or Prom. At present a 5 mile easy run feels like the end of a marathon. After that I have 4 weeks in our van in rainy Iceland and will take the trainers.
In better shape than I expected. Probably due to the 3 day Tests reducing overall beer consumption.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A five miler for me this morning, trying to focus on mile splits and failing miserably. Got wet.

I've been off work for a week taking the kids out for day trips and relaxing with good food and wine after (there's nothing like an hour's queue to get in the Natural History Museum to make you want a bottle of Shiraz when you get home) and this has definitely made my running lose focus. Out for dinner tonight but after that I will start serious training for the Bright10, limiting booze to a few beers at Albion games and trying to work out some sort of speed training plan in advance.

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
Got a half marathon coming up in a couple of days. I'm hoping to beat my only other half marathon "event" time of 1:39:31. I've run other distances and the half marathon seems to be the best fit for me in terms of training and lifestyle, so I'll probably just try and keep beating my times!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Got a half marathon coming up in a couple of days. I'm hoping to beat my only other half marathon "event" time of 1:39:31. I've run other distances and the half marathon seems to be the best fit for me in terms of training and lifestyle, so I'll probably just try and keep beating my times!

I've been banned by the household authorities from even thinking about a marathon until our children are older, half-marathon training can be fitted into and around domestic life/duties. Marathon training is downright antisocial!

Good luck with the half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here