Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I felt a bit despondent out on the road yesterday for the first time. I went out to try and do an evenly paced 7 miles, aiming to hit 9:30 miles. Although I managed to avoid my usual trap of going out far too hard and then trying to hang on, my splits are a very even downward staircase, starting at 8:46 and ending up with a 10:29.

However, looking back at it this morning, I noticed that the GAP times are very consistent for me with my fastest at 9:18 and my slowest at 9:51 meaning I did seem to manage to apply my effort pretty evenly taking into account the hills. My overall pace was 9:34 - right where I was aiming.

Strava also shows I last did that route 2 months ago and yesterday, despite not trying to run it as quickly as I could, I was nearly 10 minutes quicker, which also gives some cheer.

I'm not sure taking my mountain bike up and over the downs on a 'rest day' on Wednesday has done my legs any favours - they are perpetually tired, and I feel it every time I stand. It was a great contrast from my running though - which is very urban with lots of cars. Up on the top of the downs it was just me, and I really enjoyed it, so much so that I'm going to go up there again today, although I won't attack the climbs as hard as I did on Wednesday.

No need to feel despondent - most coaches will tell you to run to effort rather than time anyway, sounds like exactly what you did.......great stuff

Cycling on the Downs is great but probably a bit hardcore for a rest day - a 'rest day' cycle wouldn't involve hard climbing, but steady low intensity stuff. Why not run on the Downs ? I do most of my running up there - and going back to the intensity/effort thing, this means walking (fast) on a lot of the climbs not running - constant effort, not constant pace

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No need to feel despondent - most coaches will tell you to run to effort rather than time anyway, sounds like exactly what you did.......great stuff

Cycling on the Downs is great but probably a bit hardcore for a rest day - a 'rest day' cycle wouldn't involve hard climbing, but steady low intensity stuff. Why not run on the Downs ? I do most of my running up there - and going back to the intensity/effort thing, this means walking (fast) on a lot of the climbs not running - constant effort, not constant pace

I do intend to head out onto the Downs to run - Cissbury Ring looms large outside the front of where I now live - but the initial climb is clearly going to be difficult so I've been putting it off until I feel more confident in my ability to get up it. I have this psychological thing about never stopping to walk on my runs, but your approach sounds more sensible than mine! I'll aim to give it a go next week.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do intend to head out onto the Downs to run - Cissbury Ring looms large outside the front of where I now live - but the initial climb is clearly going to be difficult so I've been putting it off until I feel more confident in my ability to get up it. I have this psychological thing about never stopping to walk on my runs, but your approach sounds more sensible than mine! I'll aim to give it a go next week.

Perfectly normal to walk difficult climbs - happens on any event I have ever done, including many of the leading racing snakes. You can make up the time going down. There is a nice loop of Cissbury around the golf course - long down hill past the course, turn left and up the the other side. Must be about 4 miles. Can find it on a garmin route if you want it.......it's part of the Steyning Stinger marathon course......

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Perfectly normal to walk difficult climbs - happens on any event I have ever done, including many of the leading racing snakes. You can make up the time going down. There is a nice loop of Cissbury around the golf course - long down hill past the course, turn left and up the the other side. Must be about 4 miles. Can find it on a garmin route if you want it.......it's part of the Steyning Stinger marathon course......

Yes, i second that. Its totally normal. A route i do frequently is; Up through the side of the golf course... over Cissbury and turn right at the bottom.... continue for 2 miles or so.. then left up all the way up to Chanctonbury Ring.. then back down to Cissbury and home... 13/14 miles or so.. and good mix of small gradual and steapish climbs which you can do some hill reps on.. I think its also the Three forts half marathon route... Lovely in the summer.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good to see so many positive thoughts. One thing I'd add is don't be put off by the odd bad run its all part of the process and you need to long at longer term trends to see your improvement.

Beginning to look forward now, think I'll go for Barns Green Half later in the year. Still thinking about future marathons be good to do London, can Brighton be any better than it was this year with the weather, crowds etc ? Certainly planning on some off road running - any good not too hard core events coming up? When is that one near Lewes?

Nothing planned for June so should be ok for 13th or 20th.

Will be at Hove tomorrow for I suspect a fairly gentle Park Run, legs slowly returning to normal.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good to see so many positive thoughts. One thing I'd add is don't be put off by the odd bad run its all part of the process and you need to long at longer term trends to see your improvement.

Beginning to look forward now, think I'll go for Barns Green Half later in the year. Still thinking about future marathons be good to do London, can Brighton be any better than it was this year with the weather, crowds etc ? Certainly planning on some off road running - any good not too hard core events coming up? When is that one near Lewes?

Nothing planned for June so should be ok for 13th or 20th.

Will be at Hove tomorrow for I suspect a fairly gentle Park Run, legs slowly returning to normal.

With [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] having a rest for April, I might be in with a shout of a top-three finish then? :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Certainly planning on some off road running - any good not too hard core events coming up? QUOTE]

I'm not a promoter for it or anything.. but enteries for the Three Forts Marathon, full and half are still open.. 03/05. Its a good off road run, not too hard core.. but its only a couple of weeks away so maybe a too soon...

This......sociable and friendly, well organised, great scenery, no time pressures....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I had to have an emergency shit in the bushes about 7 miles into my run this morning. I'm sure that's lucky or something.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had to have an emergency shit in the bushes about 7 miles into my run this morning. I'm sure that's lucky or something.

Did you remember to pause your Garmin ?

Funnily enough I was perilously close to this on the Downs this morning but just about made it to the car and home. Hot curry last night not the best idea. Ever seen this ? Harcore racer [emoji372]

7f569ed51064f5b6c250c44a309924a1.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Did you remember to pause your Garmin ?

No, but it was just after I'd finished the efforts of my training run and just at the beginning of the cool down, so I wasn't too fussed (and it was a very quick shit). However, if you check my Strava, you can see a clear deviation from the foootpaths of my local water park where I had to cut through the bushes to lighten the load

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Second run this week - trying to get into it more. Just over a mere 4 Miles at 9:13 average

Went out doing 8 and a half min miles and slowed down - need to do that pace more. Monday morning i'll aim for 6 miles.

One step at a time I guess.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Going to get out tomorrow and take in a very steady 4 miles as I recover from the Brighton Marathon. This time last year I ran a 10 & 11 mile run within two weeks of finishing and could barely run for 4 months. I'm determined not to repeat the same mistakes of coming back to quickly.

I've been looking at other runs for 2015 - Does anyone have any experiences or views of the following:-

Saltdean Lions 9 mile Sunday 17th May
Worthing 10k Sunday 7th June
Hove Prom 10k Sunday 20th Sept
Bright10 - Sunday 18th October

Also looking out for Brooks 10 in Nov, Mince Pie in Dec & Brighton Half next Feb - As I'm not planning on running a marathon again it would be good to keep busy on smaller distances and improve times.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did my own non-marathon, in every sense, around central London this morning, clocking up 10 miles.

That's 6 consecutive days of stuff for me, covering 26 miles on foot over 4 runs and 17 hilly off-road miles on the bike.

Yesterday also included lots of walking around London 'collecting' Shaun the Sheeps.

I need a few days rest now!
9017ee3c84addb47122c02eb25de2fbf.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here