Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Run to the Sea 50k for me today. My first Ultra.

Starts at Christs Hospital, 20k down the Downslink then up onto the SDW before finishing on Hove seafront.

Great event, well organised and well stocked aid stations on route. Only downside was the weather, it was horrific!!!

Finished under 5hrs so pleased with that time. Would definitely recommend for anyone looking to step up to 50K. Surely the weather can’t be this bad next May!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Starts at Christs Hospital, 20k down the Downslink then up onto the SDW before finishing on Hove seafront.

Great event, well organised and well stocked aid stations on route. Only downside was the weather, it was horrific!!!

Finished under 5hrs so pleased with that time. Would definitely recommend for anyone looking to step up to 50K. Surely the weather can’t be this bad next May!
Nice one!

That sounds like my kind of route - but not the weather. I like the idea of a 50k. Stepping up to 50 miles might be a bit much for me, but I should probably do one at some point. Although forget paying Centurion prices :eek:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I wondered what that one finishing on Hove Lawns was today. Went by twice on the bike on a shopping trip and drove by at 1pm. It was wet, cold and windy. Excellent effort and use of a shit morning with not much happening elsewhere. 👏 👏

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm guessing no-one else here was involved in the Leeds marathon yesterday?

Being my first I obviously have nothing to compare with, but given the heat and the hills (407m ascent), and having a bit of a cold, I found it utterly gruelling. My time was 4:42:00 and I was originally hoping for sub-4! Managed to run up to about the 20-mile mark (top of the big hill) but a bit of run-walking after that.

From what other much more seasoned runners have said, the crowds and the atmosphere surpassed anything that they've experienced before.
Have to say, the Headingley pitch is very comfy!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 46

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Being my first I obviously have nothing to compare with, but given the heat and the hills (407m ascent), and having a bit of a cold, I found it utterly gruelling. My time was 4:42:00 and I was originally hoping for sub-4! Managed to run up to about the 20-mile mark (top of the big hill) but a bit of run-walking after that.

From what other much more seasoned runners have said, the crowds and the atmosphere surpassed anything that they've experienced before.
Well done! Sounds like a great run and looked like a pretty decent course. First time a marathon's been run in Leeds in 20 years or something, did I read?

I think we all have/had ambitions of a sub-4 for our first marathon but, in reality, just finishing it is the real triumph! Likewise, run-waling from 20 miles is my kind of race. After 31 of the buggers you'd have thought I would've learned by now :lolol:

Enjoy the rest and don't do what I did and leave it 10 years between your first and second marathon :thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well done! Sounds like a great run and looked like a pretty decent course. First time a marathon's been run in Leeds in 20 years or something, did I read?

I think we all have/had ambitions of a sub-4 for our first marathon but, in reality, just finishing it is the real triumph! Likewise, run-waling from 20 miles is my kind of race. After 31 of the buggers you'd have thought I would've learned by now :lolol:

Enjoy the rest and don't do what I did and leave it 10 years between your first and second marathon :thumbsup:

Yep first one for 20 years, and I think the previous ones have just been laps of the city centre. Would be good if it did go right into the city centre in future though (that said, this would make it even hillier!)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep first one for 20 years, and I think the previous ones have just been laps of the city centre. Would be good if it did go right into the city centre in future though (that said, this would make it even hillier!)
I was on for a great time (and whole marathon ran) on the Isle of Wight one a few years back and then got to mile 22/23 and there was a bloody great hill in front of me. I was spent after that!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Well done mate, I was there as my wife ran it. It looked a tough course especially the hill at 16-18 miles. It was also a pretty warm day, lovely for me sat in a beer garden and supporting not so kind for those running.
Great effort, I wouldn’t worry too much about time given the route and heat. Any plans to repeat the experience?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well done mate, I was there as my wife ran it. It looked a tough course especially the hill at 16-18 miles. It was also a pretty warm day, lovely for me sat in a beer garden and supporting not so kind for those running.
Great effort, I wouldn’t worry too much about time given the route and heat. Any plans to repeat the experience?

I ran most of the way up the hill but that finished be off. The mile or two after that (false flat) were awful.

The main problem with the heat was the fact that it hasn't been that warm for six months, so no training in it!

I'm not currently keen to repeat it, but that could change! Looking to perhaps do Yorkshire Marathon in October though - have definitely got the bug.

Have had quite a few lurgies lately and my 3 year old hasn't been sleeping much.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I ran most of the way up the hill but that finished be off. The mile or two after that (false flat) were awful.

The main problem with the heat was the fact that it hasn't been that warm for six months, so no training in it!

I'm not currently keen to repeat it, but that could change! Looking to perhaps do Yorkshire Marathon in October though - have definitely got the bug.

Have had quite a few lurgies lately and my 3 year old hasn't been sleeping much.
How did you find the organisation? From a spectator’s point of view it looked terrible. I was stood around mile 1 and mile 3 out and back it was very crowded with no real partitioning down the middle. Then they sent the half marathon off after the last wave and I got to watch the 1:20 half marathon runners pick their way through the 6-7 hour marathoners.
My wife is doing Yorkshire it’s supposed to be a bit kinder in regards to hills and a bit cooler hopefully. Same company but I’m told much better organisation.
Failing that there’s Manchester in April I did that this year and it’s pretty flat and was nice and cool with the benefit of cooler training.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How did you find the organisation? From a spectator’s point of view it looked terrible. I was stood around mile 1 and mile 3 out and back it was very crowded with no real partitioning down the middle. Then they sent the half marathon off after the last wave and I got to watch the 1:20 half marathon runners pick their way through the 6-7 hour marathoners.
My wife is doing Yorkshire it’s supposed to be a bit kinder in regards to hills and a bit cooler hopefully. Same company but I’m told much better organisation.
Failing that there’s Manchester in April I did that this year and it’s pretty flat and was nice and cool with the benefit of cooler training.
It was dreadful inside the stadium - almost dangerous! Virtually no loos, no signs, no stewards, to clue where to go for what!
I climbed over a wall to go for a wee in the end!
Hope it improves for next year.

Are you based up this way then? (rather than St Leonards!)

The trouble I have with the spring ones is my daughters give me every lurgy that is going and so I have a lot of breaks in training and the risk of being ill for the event itself. Hoping this risk will be lower for the Yorkshire one.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
It was dreadful inside the stadium - almost dangerous! Virtually no loos, no signs, no stewards, to clue where to go for what!
I climbed over a wall to go for a wee in the end!
Hope it improves for next year.

Are you based up this way then? (rather than St Leonards!)

The trouble I have with the spring ones is my daughters give me every lurgy that is going and so I have a lot of breaks in training and the risk of being ill for the event itself. Hoping this risk will be lower for the Yorkshire one
I’m tempted by Yorkshire, but the Run for all experience at Leeds has put me off, although I’m told that the organisation is much better there.
I’ve lost my running mojo at present so it looks unlikely.
Yeah we are based in Hull at present, I’ve been doing a few parkruns around Leeds way recently, what your local one?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Here's something else for everyone to think about/put in their diaries: https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink

Gaffer, I'm assuming you've renewed your rolling 12-month contract? ;)
https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink is indeed at Hove lagoon Wednesday evening 21st June.
I'm asking anyone interested to put their name forward and may delve onto Strava, Facebook and Instagram to try and get many of the deserters on board.
I'm prepared to do the teams and spectate but am unlikely to run. 6 weeks into one of my rheumatoid arthritis flare ups that occur every 4-5 years. Latest attack is inflamed metatarsal joints in right foot. Might get better at any time, might spread to other joints and might stay for 6 months. So on with swimming, cycling and long walks when it allows.
Come on the Gaffer wants 2 teams as a minimum.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink is indeed at Hove lagoon Wednesday evening 21st June.
I'm asking anyone interested to put their name forward and may delve onto Strava, Facebook and Instagram to try and get many of the deserters on board.
I'm prepared to do the teams and spectate but am unlikely to run. 6 weeks into one of my rheumatoid arthritis flare ups that occur every 4-5 years. Latest attack is inflamed metatarsal joints in right foot. Might get better at any time, might spread to other joints and might stay for 6 months. So on with swimming, cycling and long walks when it allows.
:gross:

(That's a yes, by the way!)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I’m in - but not very quick at the moment! Thanks Gaffer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I’m tempted by Yorkshire, but the Run for all experience at Leeds has put me off, although I’m told that the organisation is much better there.
I’ve lost my running mojo at present so it looks unlikely.
Yeah we are based in Hull at present, I’ve been doing a few parkruns around Leeds way recently, what your local one?

My local one is the Chevin - very much a hilly trail one. It's exactly 5k to the start across fields and tracks from home, so I often run there, do it and run home.

Annoyingly my 7 year old currently has swimming lessons at 9.45 on a Saturday so haven't been able to do it lately, though hoping to get back to it soon.

Roberts Park (Saltaire) is a similar distance in the opposite direction and much flatter, but they're getting so many people now (500+) which I find off-putting. Nice place though.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
My local one is the Chevin - very much a hilly trail one. It's exactly 5k to the start across fields and tracks from home, so I often run there, do it and run home.

Annoyingly my 7 year old currently has swimming lessons at 9.45 on a Saturday so haven't been able to do it lately, though hoping to get back to it soon.

Roberts Park (Saltaire) is a similar distance in the opposite direction and much flatter, but they're getting so many people now (500+) which I find off-putting. Nice place though.
Funnily enough I did Chevin Forest last Saturday, it was rather hilly compared to flat as a pancake Hull.

Rather uneven under foot plenty of fallers, a good laugh though I’d like to go back in winter when it’s muddy.

Roberts Park will be on the itinerary somewhere, I tend to go with friends who like to collect certain numbers: primes Fibonacci etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here