Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Posted a 20:51 #notparkrun today around the Guildford course in Stoke Park, which shaved 25 seconds off my last run out.

There is a way to go to get back where I want to be, but I'm encouraged that I'm not as slow as I thought.

It really isn't the same doing it solo though!

Usual Saturday morning 5k time trial: 22.05/76.66% AG. Just about par.

My first solo 5k time trial since Christmas Day, was aiming for sub 25. Went out a bit too fast for the first k, managed to get sub 5 min for every k.

24.24, (66.9 WAVA), fastest since last July.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
How utterly tragic.

I tend to run on pavements but I have to cross a lot of roads on my runs, often including the A27 and A259 twice each, and I've had a few close shaves. However, it was crossing the A24 about six months ago where I had my nearest-miss. I'd checked both ways several times but as I crossed I did so right in front of a car coming towards me. To this day, I have no idea how I missed seeing this car, but if I'd been about 2-3 seconds later I'd have been hit, at a guess, around 40mph.

Every time I think about it, and it comes to mind when discussing road sense with my 10-y-o, it gives me cold shivers. I try to be even more careful now, but I thought I was being cautious that day too.

I've got a bit of a 'me too' on this one. With me it was the A27 and I was too concerned with my Garmin when I should have been more concerned with the traffic. Now, if I'm doing a time trial on this route I pause the stopwatch so there's no pressure. But the absence of traffic is a big reason why I run on the prom - writes the man who will spend over an hour running up and down Salvington Hill tomorrow morning which has parts of it unpaved.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've got a bit of a 'me too' on this one. With me it was the A27 and I was too concerned with my Garmin when I should have been more concerned with the traffic. Now, if I'm doing a time trial on this route I pause the stopwatch so there's no pressure. But the absence of traffic is a big reason why I run on the prom - writes the man who will spend over an hour running up and down Salvington Hill tomorrow morning which has parts of it unpaved.

Salvington Hill isn't too bad, and you don't need to cross it. An hour of that sounds "fun". I've been looking at local hills to see if I can find one where I could get 8,000 feet of climbing within 20 miles for this >>> https://runsignup.com/Race/WA/Issaquah/TigerClawVERTual

From looking at Salvington Hill even running up and down there would not get to half of that within 20 miles.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My first solo 5k time trial since Christmas Day, was aiming for sub 25. Went out a bit too fast for the first k, managed to get sub 5 min for every k.

24.24, (66.9 WAVA), fastest since last July.

Good effort. More proof that off pace miles do the trick. I’m certainly missing my ability to kick due to low mileage.

A message to GNT for when he comes down from his hills. I don’t want to do Ardingly 5k in June as 4 days before the Arundel Tri. Might as well save our energy for Parkrun.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
After my barefoot 21:16 5km on Thursday, I fancied having a rare stab at a shorter faster run yesterday so tried a 10km. I clocked 40:55, which is my second fastest 10km ever, but a world away from the 39:01 I recorded only a few weeks ago.

I could probably have squeezed a little bit more, but as I knew I was nowhere near PB territory I wasn't quite pushing all-out, but not too far away. Regardless, I was left amazed that I got that 39:01 as anything sub-40 felt completely unachievable yesterday.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good effort. More proof that off pace miles do the trick. I’m certainly missing my ability to kick due to low mileage.

A message to GNT for when he comes down from his hills. I don’t want to do Ardingly 5k in June as 4 days before the Arundel Tri. Might as well save our energy for Parkrun.

Noted. Actually never went up the hill: left Achilles is rather angry with me. This is the result of too many short sharp hill repeats and then the time trial 5k yesterday.

In hobbling mode but I'm not stranger to this problem and am reasonably optimistic it can be 'managed'. Took frustration out by doing 150 squats/100 press ups/50 pull-ups in 10 minutes. As you do.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
After spending nearly a week taking it easy due to feeling rubbish post vaccine jab it was back to work on a glorious sunny morning with the "Church of the Sunday Long Run" - 23 mile long run safely banked at a decent clip. Felt smooth.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After spending nearly a week taking it easy due to feeling rubbish post vaccine jab it was back to work on a glorious sunny morning with the "Church of the Sunday Long Run" - 23 mile long run safely banked at a decent clip. Felt smooth.

2:45 marathon beckons. The Church will be proud.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

A gentle 12 miles along a towpath and reffing an U9s football match for me today. :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
17 miles (ish) with 2700ft of elevation on the SDW this morning - longest run for ages. Took it pretty gently, and the wind was strong (and cold) on the ridge. Foot started to get a bit angry after 2.5 hours but other than that felt pretty OK given appalling levels of current fitness :nono:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
17 miles (ish) with 2700ft of elevation on the SDW this morning - longest run for ages. Took it pretty gently, and the wind was strong (and cold) on the ridge. Foot started to get a bit angry after 2.5 hours but other than that felt pretty OK given appalling levels of current fitness :nono:

That's some serious elevation dazzer, nice long work banked! :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I meant at least a second under of course. Shall I open a spreadbet book?😁
Year without a race anything is possible. I reckon you’ll do brilliantly and whack my prediction.🤞

Thanks very much Gaffer. If I'm fortunate to have a good run on the day and manage to go under my 2:44:37 PB from my last marathon outing at Manchester 2019 I'd be over the moon. It's been a solid build up and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Just a few more weeks of getting some more specific work in and then hopefully I'll be toeing the line at the Big Dance in Richmond fit, healthy and raring to give it my best.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A shade over 15 miles for me today, out on the trails, exploring a whole new-to-me section of the Angmering Park Estate. As ever I ran front door-to-front door and I was able to make it a nice loop coming back through the spooky Clapham Woods, as out-and-backs annoy me!

The run took me to 67 miles for the week, my most since injuring my knee (and it's still ****ed) and 5,719 feet of hills, which is probably one of my climb-iest weeks.

Bizarre weather out there - started off quite sunny but I got snowed on when crossing some fields and with quite a strong, bitter wind, I was feeling distinctly under-dressed in a thin t-shirt and Windrunner. Shorts down below, obvs, but insufficient layering up top for sure. Gloves would have been useful too.

Two firsts for me today:

1. Stopping mid-run for a wee. Does a runner piss in the woods? Yes, yes he does.
2. Feeling like I could do with some liquid and fuel to help me along. I've never felt this on road runs up to 17 miles but the extra effort required out on the trails is definitely more sapping. I know I've touched on this subject before, but I think I am getting closer to conceding defeat and investigating hydration vest options (although I know I'll just buy the Nike one).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Strange cycling away from a near empty Withdean yesterday 30” before kick off.

First track session was a 2021 introductory session of 6 repeats of 3” fast 2” recovery. Weekly mile intervals for 6 weeks meant I could hit the ground running. Managed a 20:55 5k from start and a 21:10 5k for the last 5k. (miles 2+3 in both 5Ks). Ran non stop 4.1 miles in total at 6:46 pace even though recovery consisted of 10” of the 28”.

Really buzzing afterwards despite 0-0. Either I entered a time warp or @GNT needs to consider showing the white flag. I’m aiming for 43:00 at Worthing. Celebrated with 2 double deckers.
#Pridecomesbeforeafall.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Seeing some of the impressive distances people run on here, double figures for some, I'm embarrassed now to have posted what I thought were impressive runs for me of four to six miles!
I think I need to up my game. I very rarely run for more than an hour at a slowish pace. My mission is to break that hour barrier!! :)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Seeing some of the impressive distances people run on here, double figures for some, I'm embarrassed now to have posted what I thought were impressive runs for me of four to six miles!
I think I need to up my game. I very rarely run for more than an hour at a slowish pace. My mission is to break that hour barrier!! :)

I wouldn't worry about the distances other people are running, the only person you are truly in competition with is yourself. Nobody goes out and just runs 10, 12, 17, 26 miles, whatever... We have all had those moments where running a 5k, or running for an hour, or up a hill rather than walking it, have been a significant achievement.

:)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

As stated above - we're only competing with ourselves. And, frankly, most of the time I don't even compete with myself, as he's a bit of a **** and I don't want to give him the satisfaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here