Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think I've put on a few pounds over the last few weeks. My friend keeps bringing me baked goods, she eats one herself and gives me the rest. I'm not complaining (the hot cross buns were amazing) but I should probably cut down on some of the snacking and get a few extra miles in. The Easter chocolate hasn't exactly helped matters either.

On the plus side, we're having some really nice spring weather here, so I've been enjoying my runs. My weekend long runs are back up to 20k+ now and I'm enjoying it. We've just started our third stay-at-home order in Ontario, running is the one thing keeping me going.

I've also decided not bother with Boston in October. I'd love to do it but with all the changes they've announced and being a bit unsure about international travel, I just don't think it's worth it.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I think I've put on a few pounds over the last few weeks. My friend keeps bringing me baked goods, she eats one herself and gives me the rest. I'm not complaining (the hot cross buns were amazing) but I should probably cut down on some of the snacking and get a few extra miles in. The Easter chocolate hasn't exactly helped matters either.

On the plus side, we're having some really nice spring weather here, so I've been enjoying my runs. My weekend long runs are back up to 20k+ now and I'm enjoying it. We've just started our third stay-at-home order in Ontario, running is the one thing keeping me going.

I've also decided not bother with Boston in October. I'd love to do it but with all the changes they've announced and being a bit unsure about international travel, I just don't think it's worth it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your running Badger and that Spring has arrived in Ontario. I remember seeing some of your winter wonderland photos on Strava over the winter and although it looked amazing it must have been tough going in brutally cold conditions.

Sorry to hear that Boston won't be on for you this year. Hopefully they'll be able to give you the option to defer to next year. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Glad to hear you're enjoying your running Badger and that Spring has arrived in Ontario. I remember seeing some of your winter wonderland photos on Strava over the winter and although it looked amazing it must have been tough going in brutally cold conditions.

Sorry to hear that Boston won't be on for you this year. Hopefully they'll be able to give you the option to defer to next year. :thumbsup:

Actually, the runs which I posted photos for were the fun ones. I enjoy running on fresh snow. It's the ice and slush which is the worst, especially on the days with brutally cold windchill.

Thanks. I'll be interested to see what they decide for 2022. With the reduced field size and the lack of qualifying races, they might even keep the same window as this year. If not, I'll probably just wait until I can qualify as 40+.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Talking of eating & running, it got me thinking to ask who makes sure they eat something before they run so that they're somewhat fuelled for the activity and who just goes out without worrying too much about it? Do you have a routine that you stick to before a run? Do you "fuel up" ahead of time?

I'm predominantly a morning runner and prefer to run "empty" for pretty much all my runs. I'll just have a coffee and some water before heading out. I don't deviate from this on my long runs either (other than a gel or two on the runs themselves). I think there's a positive "fat adaptation" stimulus to time spent running "empty", where our body becomes conditioned to burning our plentiful fat stores for energy vs tapping into our glycogen stores (the limited good stuff!) I understand fuelling prior to exercise is probably optimal for performance though but I've always preferred to run empty.

However post-run I do make sure I have some breakfast as soon as I get back to get the recovery process going and I'm big on "all day hydration" as part of recovery too, drinking water, diluted orange juice, milk and electrolytes throughout the day. We shouldn't underestimate how important hydration is although it does mean spending more than usual time in the day needing the toilet. :lol:

How about post-run recovery shakes? After long runs I normally opt for some Nesquick and milk. It's got pretty much the same ratio of carbs & protein and it's a whole lot cheaper.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Wise choice regarding Boston. You've taken control.
Made me think of races and I remembered I'd entered Arundel Triathlon 18 months ago. Just checked and it's on in 5 weeks time. I haven't swum since August nor cycled for a year+. Will do it as training. Got the bike ready to go out tomorrow. Should help with weight loss.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Had just 2 oatcakes and hummus for lunch. This failed as an hour later I was forced to finish the Beacon Blue Goat’s Cheese followed by 2 Hot Cross Buns.

Might have another crack at Ardingly next month but the 8:30pm race time is off putting. I’ll wait a few weeks.
https://race-nation.co.uk/register/...TsBe3MsORBLwVkHDIFlE_jze89CQdQKc_gVaJwEo31hi8

Wow, that's a funny time for a race. I might do it, depending on uf my mate is marshalling and I can bum a lift.

I'm glad that we are at least well matched in terms of dietary discipline (or lack of). I always thought you could eat more or less what you wanted and not put on weight (the metabolism)? But it does sow down with age, maybe even for you?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Talking of eating & running, it got me thinking to ask who makes sure they eat something before they run so that they're somewhat fuelled for the activity and who just goes out without worrying too much about it? Do you have a routine that you stick to before a run? Do you "fuel up" ahead of time?

I'm predominantly a morning runner and prefer to run "empty" for pretty much all my runs. I'll just have a coffee and some water before heading out. I don't deviate from this on my long runs either (other than a gel or two on the runs themselves). I think there's a positive "fat adaptation" stimulus to time spent running "empty", where our body becomes conditioned to burning our plentiful fat stores for energy vs tapping into our glycogen stores (the limited good stuff!) I understand fuelling prior to exercise is probably optimal for performance though but I've always preferred to run empty.

However post-run I do make sure I have some breakfast as soon as I get back to get the recovery process going and I'm big on "all day hydration" as part of recovery too, drinking water, diluted orange juice, milk and electrolytes throughout the day. We shouldn't underestimate how important hydration is although it does mean spending more than usual time in the day needing the toilet. :lol:

How about post-run recovery shakes? After long runs I normally opt for some Nesquick and milk. It's got pretty much the same ratio of carbs & protein and it's a whole lot cheaper.

I run in the day/evening during the week. In that case, I always try and make sure I eat something 2 hours before but I don't have anything close to when I run. For my longer weekend runs it depends how far I'm planning to run. Anything over about 20k, I'll try and get up early and have some porridge with fruit, then wait 2 hours before heading out. For shorter runs I'll often go out after just having an energy drink and possibly a gel. In both cases, I try and make sure things are good at the other end before I head out! I don't want to be desperately searching for a toilet after 5k.

As for post run. During the week I usually get back for lunch or dinner, so I'll eat straightaway. At the weekend I'll usually cook myself a decent breakfast when I get back (in normal times I often went to a local coffee shop which had some decent cooked breakfast options). I wash it down with some chocolate milk and then get my caffeine fix with a coffee.

I do keep myself well hydrated during the day, so I suffer the same issue of having to pee all the time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wow, that's a funny time for a race. I might do it, depending on uf my mate is marshalling and I can bum a lift.

I'm glad that we are at least well matched in terms of dietary discipline (or lack of). I always thought you could eat more or less what you wanted and not put on weight (the metabolism)? But it does sow down with age, maybe even for you?

Have given up alcohol for a while and have eaten regularly through every day ever since. Have become addicted to junk. Just finished 800 calories of shortbread biscuits. Have decided to cut out the sugar and junk foods after Sunday.
Metabolism efficiency has gone awol for the first time. Discipline needed. I’ll look at my photo collection of you in full flow along Worthing seafront every time I want to graze.

Saying all that I’ve already shed 5lbs since picking up training pace over the last 2 months.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Desperately sad to read that the very talented young runner Tash Lewis died after being hit by a car whilst out on a run in Bath on Wednesday morning. I think she was only in her 20s, with her whole life ahead of her. After reading an interview with her this morning I remembered running alongside her for a bit at the London Big Half last March. RIP Tash.

As someone who runs mostly on relatively quiet country roads with no pavements for longish stretches, and although I'm always very careful to keep a close eye on cars passing by me, it's brought home the realisation that perhaps it's not the most sensible thing for me to be doing. Usually drivers are very considerate and I frequently step off the road and stand when a car goes by, but I do sometimes experience drivers who feel it necessary to drive by as close as possible. I guess to show that they own the road.

Anyway, take care out on the roads guys. :thumbsup:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Posted a 20:51 #notparkrun today around the Guildford course in Stoke Park, which shaved 25 seconds off my last run out.

There is a way to go to get back where I want to be, but I'm encouraged that I'm not as slow as I thought.

It really isn't the same doing it solo though!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Posted a 20:51 #notparkrun today around the Guildford course in Stoke Park, which shaved 25 seconds off my last run out.

There is a way to go to get back where I want to be, but I'm encouraged that I'm not as slow as I thought.

It really isn't the same doing it solo though!

That's a brilliant time, fair play. It is particularly testing doing it without company. Maybe doing it around the actual course helps psychologically? Been great to get back to group sessions over the last week.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That's a brilliant time, fair play. It is particularly testing doing it without company. Maybe doing it around the actual course helps psychologically? Been great to get back to group sessions over the last week.

Thanks. I think psychology does play a big part. I haven't taken part in a parkrun since 2019, and doubts about my pace have definitely been playing on my mind... I think I'll feel more confident about my marathon training once I know I've got a decent 5k time clocked... if that makes sense.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
6 miles @9" for me. Doing Sunday runs Saturday to rest before Monday track.
Worked on posture. I'm a drooped shoulders bent neck sort of guy looking for dog poo and broken glass from 5-10 metres. So shoulders back and counting how long I could keep my eyes on Worthing and dog poo from 50 metres. This is after running in a race where I was overtaken by millions of teenagers with perfect upright bouncy style.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

As I've never run with anyone else, not Park Run-ed nor raced, I'm really not sure how I'd cope running in and around others - it's certainly not something I relish in any way.

If my solo 19:01 5km could be improved amongst others, it might be something I need to learn to deal with.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Desperately sad to read that the very talented young runner Tash Lewis died after being hit by a car whilst out on a run in Bath on Wednesday morning. I think she was only in her 20s, with her whole life ahead of her. After reading an interview with her this morning I remembered running alongside her for a bit at the London Big Half last March. RIP Tash.

As someone who runs mostly on relatively quiet country roads with no pavements for longish stretches, and although I'm always very careful to keep a close eye on cars passing by me, it's brought home the realisation that perhaps it's not the most sensible thing for me to be doing. Usually drivers are very considerate and I frequently step off the road and stand when a car goes by, but I do sometimes experience drivers who feel it necessary to drive by as close as possible. I guess to show that they own the road.

How utterly tragic.

I tend to run on pavements but I have to cross a lot of roads on my runs, often including the A27 and A259 twice each, and I've had a few close shaves. However, it was crossing the A24 about six months ago where I had my nearest-miss. I'd checked both ways several times but as I crossed I did so right in front of a car coming towards me. To this day, I have no idea how I missed seeing this car, but if I'd been about 2-3 seconds later I'd have been hit, at a guess, around 40mph.

Every time I think about it, and it comes to mind when discussing road sense with my 10-y-o, it gives me cold shivers. I try to be even more careful now, but I thought I was being cautious that day too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

One of the Centurion Running coaches was her coach. Very sad.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
As I've never run with anyone else, not Park Run-ed nor raced, I'm really not sure how I'd cope running in and around others - it's certainly not something I relish in any way.

If my solo 19:01 5km could be improved amongst others, it might be something I need to learn to deal with.

to be fair, in a parkrun there wouldn't be runners around you after the first 500m, a few in front, and a lot more behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here