Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its tough isn't it. I'm running 6k five times a week and have cut out booze this month, and my weight is not moving at all. Doesn't help being unemployed and stuck in the house for longer than I'd like to be.

I'm philosophical about it - a decent amount of running means I don't need to worry too much about putting weight on - I'd just need to make a concerted effort to eat less to actually lose weight..................I just don't have the willpower/incentive currently...........

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s a classic dilemma. Running (longer distances) can make you hungry and crave all the wrong foods and drinks. There’s a saying “you can’t out train a bad diet” so unfortunately running will only help you shed the pounds.... you know the rest!!

That saying is partially true; however it’s more down to the fact that people overestimate how many calories they burn on a run and underestimate how many calories they’re eating.

I’ve done a few marathons and an Ironman and I can confirm that you can more or less eat what you want when training for an event like that - it’s great!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've not really stood on scales for a long time, i just estimate myself to be 10kg overweight by belt size and looking in the mirror alone. I'd say that in the last couple of months, when the distance i'm running has become more respectable, I've definitely lost a little weight judging by those 2 metrics.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I only need to run a mile a week to eat whatever I want.
In fact I even seem to burn calories watching TV and when sleeping at night. A super fast metabolism and another reason why I train at slower paces and a lower heart rate. This encourages the use of body fat as fuel rather than my quickly used up glycogen.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I've always been naturally skinny so that helps. However over the last year the combination of no weight training and less activity (used to walk 5k to work and back) i've put on about 5kg. Hopefully shift that soon but i'm a little greedy.

In other news, I ran a marathon on Saturday in 3:15. Elapsed time was a little longer due to having to wait for my brother to go to the toilet... I ran through Elstree so thought I might bump into Artie! Agree with what has been said before re finding someone quicker than you. My brother is a 2:40 marathon man and definitely spurred me on!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In fact I even seem to burn calories watching TV and when sleeping at night. A super fast metabolism and another reason why I train at slower paces and a lower heart rate. This encourages the use of body fat as fuel rather than my quickly used up glycogen.

Do you eat very healthily or do you eat chocolate, cakes, biscuits, curry, Chinese, etc? (Not during a run I hasten to add!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Do you eat very healthily or do you eat chocolate, cakes, biscuits, curry, Chinese, etc? (Not during a run I hasten to add!)

Very healthily. Breakfast is porridge, blueberries, linseeds, coconut oil, dates, raisins, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazil’s, cashew nuts.

Mainly vegetarian, little fish, not much processed food beyond bread and pasta

But......eating half a packet of chocolate biscuits now and..........
I am making a baked cheesecake for valentine’s night that needs a lot of; double fat cream, sour cream, cream cheese, digestives and butter. I could probably eat the lot in a few hours.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Very healthily. Breakfast is porridge, blueberries, linseeds, coconut oil, dates, raisins, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazil’s, cashew nuts.

Mainly vegetarian, little fish, not much processed food beyond bread and pasta

But......eating half a packet of chocolate biscuits now and..........
I am making a baked cheesecake for valentine’s night that needs a lot of; double fat cream, sour cream, cream cheese, digestives and butter. I could probably eat the lot in a few hours.

Guess you could call it a balanced (or varied) diet.

Like you I start the day eating very healthily but as the day goes on it deteriorates

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I've always been naturally skinny so that helps. However over the last year the combination of no weight training and less activity (used to walk 5k to work and back) i've put on about 5kg. Hopefully shift that soon but i'm a little greedy.

In other news, I ran a marathon on Saturday in 3:15. Elapsed time was a little longer due to having to wait for my brother to go to the toilet... I ran through Elstree so thought I might bump into Artie! Agree with what has been said before re finding someone quicker than you. My brother is a 2:40 marathon man and definitely spurred me on!

Fantastic running mate! :clap2: Around Elstree is pretty undulating so well done on a great time over the ups and downs!

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
i am in need of new running shoes, I am wanting to buy the identical asics shoes online that i have at the moment
any advice as to where
and what i need

can the shoe be identified by this : ASICs 1011 A690 size 44,5 ?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I stay pretty stable (not mentally) at around 142lbs. I reckon I could do with losing about half a stone to really impact on my running times. One thing I've learned is that running makes little if no difference to my weight.

Maybe it's the case that most folk run to lose weight but runners lose weight to run (better)?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
i am in need of new running shoes, I am wanting to buy the identical asics shoes online that i have at the moment
any advice as to where
and what i need

can the shoe be identified by this : ASICs 1011 A690 size 44,5 ?

Simple google of that ref no seems to show that as the GT-2000 (actual model may have been updated depending on how long you've had them), and 44.5 is UK 9.5 I think

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...A1TwrRoCU3kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#sku-asi11580

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I stay pretty stable (not mentally) at around 142lbs. I reckon I could do with losing about half a stone to really impact on my running times. One thing I've learned is that running makes little if no difference to my weight.

Maybe it's the case that most folk run to lose weight but runners lose weight to run (better)?

I lose weight rapidly with anaerobic running but eat to keep even.
Talking of which it's the PP Magic Mile anytime between this coming Sunday to Wednesday. I've just had 2 weeks off for no reason other than waking up at 3:50am for the cricket made me jet laggy and then I got lazy. Had a little run today but will need to pull out all the stops to better last month's effort of 6:47. The plan was to improve every month and at least the Magic Mile has got me to put the trainers on again. Had to forget the boring slow stuff and flog the guts along by Shoreham Harbour.

Are you going to have a go?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Feel like I've finally turned a corner on this morning's run. Although only a 30 min 5k the first mile and last little bit were deliberately warm up and cool down. In the middle I put my foot down for the first time since March last year. A few strides / short intervals at first but then half a mile at around 8.30 pace (which was my marathon pace this time last year but is now around tempo).

I've not had any confidence in my lungs up to now but I was able to handle the extra breathing and heart rate, at least for a short time. Will now be mixing up the plods with a bit of speed work in the week, hopefully looking at a few quality sessions in the spring and summer.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Feel like I've finally turned a corner on this morning's run. Although only a 30 min 5k the first mile and last little bit were deliberately warm up and cool down. In the middle I put my foot down for the first time since March last year. A few strides / short intervals at first but then half a mile at around 8.30 pace (which was my marathon pace this time last year but is now around tempo).

I've not had any confidence in my lungs up to now but I was able to handle the extra breathing and heart rate, at least for a short time. Will not be mixing up the plods with a bit of speed work in the week, hopefully looking at a few quality sessions in the spring and summer.

Well done old boy! Happy I won't be meeting you at PP this April.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I posted on here on 30th January telling people that my calf had tightened two weeks previously. I'm still not running six weeks later. There is some sort of sensation about 6" above my ankle slightly to the inside of my leg. I walked quite briskly for about a mile a few days ago, and in the evening, the sensation was there again having been absent for a few days. I went out on my bike a few days before that and there were no after affects. I'm reluctant to go walking, never mind running at the moment. I've been doing a lot of exercises, including the stuff suggested by others on here but I still feel that if I risk even a light jog, it's going to come back with a vengeance and I'll be back to square one, assuming I am slowly recovering.
Am I ever likely to run again?!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I posted on here on 30th January telling people that my calf had tightened two weeks previously. I'm still not running six weeks later. There is some sort of sensation about 6" above my ankle slightly to the inside of my leg. I walked quite briskly for about a mile a few days ago, and in the evening, the sensation was there again having been absent for a few days. I went out on my bike a few days before that and there were no after affects. I'm reluctant to go walking, never mind running at the moment. I've been doing a lot of exercises, including the stuff suggested by others on here but I still feel that if I risk even a light jog, it's going to come back with a vengeance and I'll be back to square one, assuming I am slowly recovering.

If it's a pulled/torn soleus (the lower of the calf muscles, kind of sits under the gastroc), it usually only hurts when running as it's not much used in walking/cycling (I've done mine a few times) so sounds like this might be what you've tweaked. It's also a bit of a sod to heal and can take time. There are some specific soleus stretches you can do (loads on youtube), and if you can it's really worth a session with a sports massage therapist or physio, as (as well as actually getting a correct diagnosis - there are loads of moving parts in your lower leg, it could be something else) even if the tear/pull has healed it's quite likely there will be some scar tissue impinging proper movement of the muscle - this may even be causing the tightness you feel.

For anything that's not obvious or taking it's time to heal, a session with a physio is almost always the best thing to do.....diagnosis, treatment and recovery will usually be far quicker and more sustained

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I've had tight calves throughout my running "career" and, as I type, my right calf is a little achy. I can only recommend stretching. A good few sets straight after a run when they are still warm but three times a day on rest days as well. If they're really tight they need a good session with a foam roller. Should be some good videos on how to on Youtube.

My calf problems present as foot pain most of the time, which is worse in the morning when they have stiffened up overnight. The above was recommended by "Jesus" aka Paul, the erstwhile sports injury guy from Corals. I've missed a lot of runs with other issues but never had to bin off a run with calf problems since talking to him.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If it's a pulled/torn soleus (the lower of the calf muscles, kind of sits under the gastroc), it usually only hurts when running as it's not much used in walking/cycling (I've done mine a few times) so sounds like this might be what you've tweaked. It's also a bit of a sod to heal and can take time. There are some specific soleus stretches you can do (loads on youtube), and if you can it's really worth a session with a sports massage therapist or physio, as (as well as actually getting a correct diagnosis - there are loads of moving parts in your lower leg, it could be something else) even if the tear/pull has healed it's quite likely there will be some scar tissue impinging proper movement of the muscle - this may even be causing the tightness you feel.

For anything that's not obvious or taking it's time to heal, a session with a physio is almost always the best thing to do.....diagnosis, treatment and recovery will usually be far quicker and more sustained

You identified mine when I injured it on a sudden lunch run during a Test in South Africa. Took 4-6 weeks to recover and massage/physio wasn't the usual quick fix but obviously beneficial. Very hard to get to.

Good luck [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here