Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How do you shut up that little voice in your head that says ‘i’m tired’? I’ve started running to try and lose weight, but i cant get more than 2km before my brain tells me i’m tired and need to stop. Now, i know this is bollocks because i’m a rugby ref and will happily run 10-15km in a game with sprints etc and keep up with lads half my age, so fitness isn’t the issue here.

I've run for the last 373 days, I'm now up to c60 miles per week and my speed has increased dramatically.

However there are still runs where, within 2-3 minutes of setting off, I feel like I just want to stop. So, for me, I'm not sure it's anything other than mind-over-matter and telling myself I am capable of running many miles and I don't need to stop.

Given your background though, there is likely a difference between reffing - which will be stop/start and include walking, jogging and short spells of being flat out and running distances which are continuous so I may suggest, at first, slowing down a bit and looking to extend that 2km, little by little.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
How do you shut up that little voice in your head that says ‘i’m tired’? I’ve started running to try and lose weight, but i cant get more than 2km before my brain tells me i’m tired and need to stop. Now, i know this is bollocks because i’m a rugby ref and will happily run 10-15km in a game with sprints etc and keep up with lads half my age, so fitness isn’t the issue here.

I don't know what pace you're running at, but I'd suggest slowing down.

Run at the pace you're trotting round at when you're reffing. If you need to walk a bit then walk a bit

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Some good advice already given. Why don’t you take a whistle with you and blow it every few minutes when you have a negative thought!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A simpler way might be just go running with a friend - amazing how the miles go by when you talk rubbish to someone!

Yep Still allowed so long as there is two of you and you keep your distance.

I've hit a real mojo problem. Woke up this morning, felt how cold it was and just poured a coffee and watched the cricket. I have absolutely no intention of going out later today either or, indeed, until it warms up a bit. When I am out I normally get a stitch after about half a mile and want to head straight home.

I'm sure this is because I've a got a semi-regular training partner but he's been working weekends recently. He wouldn't let me get away with bailing and the first two or so miles are always spent putting the world to rights at warm up pace.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I knew it was going to be cold today so made a point of getting my weekend long run in yesterday in order to lounge about the house today... I promptly got dragged out on a family bike ride today 🥶

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Try thinking about what is your motivation for running and then pitch everything in those terms. In your case if it is about losing weight then you go for a run to lose weight - not for the run itself. It’s a subtle change of thinking - maybe more obvious when training for a marathon day where you might focus on the charitable cause you are raising money for rather than running 26 miles - all helps get out for those long training runs.

A simpler way might be just go running with a friend - amazing how the miles go by when you talk rubbish to someone!

The other good thing about having a chat is that it (almost by definition) mean that you are running at a sustainable (= slow) pace. Unless your training partner is naturally much fitter than you and you both run at his (or her) pace. Big mistake.(My running partner is half my age and is very patient..)

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Thanks for the advice! Gonna add a bit here; I live in Norway. Temps outside are currently sitting about -20, so i have no intention or desire to run outside �� so my running is done on a treadmill. As such a training partner is difficult, so took netflix to keep me company. I had previously been going 8,5kmh but this was the speed i found really boring. So instead i alternating between running at 10kmh for a km, then when my breathing got a bit heavier than i would like, i’d slow it down to 8kmh, recover, then wack it back to 10 again. Got as far as 7km today before i had enough. The the tips are working!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The other good thing about having a chat is that it (almost by definition) mean that you are running at a sustainable (= slow) pace. Unless your training partner is naturally much fitter than you and you both run at his (or her) pace. Big mistake.(My running partner is half my age and is very patient..)

.....at your age I thought you'd be the patient.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks for the advice! Gonna add a bit here; I live in Norway. Temps outside are currently sitting about -20, so i have no intention or desire to run outside �� so my running is done on a treadmill. As such a training partner is difficult, so took netflix to keep me company. I had previously been going 8,5kmh but this was the speed i found really boring. So instead i alternating between running at 10kmh for a km, then when my breathing got a bit heavier than i would like, i’d slow it down to 8kmh, recover, then wack it back to 10 again. Got as far as 7km today before i had enough. The the tips are working!

I’ve not run on a treadmill since 2014 and the most I can manage before dying of boredom is 4 miles or around 30 minutes.

Once the weather improves, then being outside will be a big help.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Fair play to you for the treadmill running – I couldn't be doing with that! Mind you, it was a bit nippy out (relatively speaking) here yesterday and this morning. Funnily enough, I had a similar 'CBA/doubting' feeling around eight miles (I was planning on 10+) and almost called it a day, but somehow I got my mind back in the zone and carried on to 11.8 :shrug: Sometimes there's no logic to it, just the way the mind works...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I'm going to give you a really blunt answer to this:

Harden up a bit. No pain; no gain.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Hello all. Long time no post again. I got another NO from London Marathon in the ballot today, anyone get a place?

My running going OK at the moment as I continue Ultra training aimed at the SDW50 in April. They will decide 1st March if it will go ahead. Running to a plan, but this weeks miles may have to go on hold as West Hoathly like an ice rink at the moment and temp staying low for the next few days! May have to resort to laps of the local cricket or football pitch as the roads just not safe!

Hope everyone is doing OK?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hello all. Long time no post again. I got another NO from London Marathon in the ballot today, anyone get a place?

My running going OK at the moment as I continue Ultra training aimed at the SDW50 in April. They will decide 1st March if it will go ahead. Running to a plan, but this weeks miles may have to go on hold as West Hoathly like an ice rink at the moment and temp staying low for the next few days! May have to resort to laps of the local cricket or football pitch as the roads just not safe!

Odds were about 40/1 so don't be surprised - would be an almighty shock to actually get a place :) It was a No for me too.

Centurion are a bit worried about the SDW - personally suspect 1 March will be too early to be able to confirm it's doable. They'll leave it as long as they possibly can before cancelling though so don't stop training :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Unlucky Mr B. I didn't enter London again, but I have my doubts that it will take place as 'normal' anyway so hopefully you'll not miss out too much. To be honest I really enjoyed the virtual version of it last year and I'd be up for doing that again.

Training all good here. Nothing to train for, specifically, but keeping it going for when/if races start up again. Take care out there!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Odds were about 40/1 so don't be surprised - would be an almighty shock to actually get a place :) It was a No for me too.

Centurion are a bit worried about the SDW - personally suspect 1 March will be too early to be able to confirm it's doable. They'll leave it as long as they possibly can before cancelling though so don't stop training :)

Is that because loads of people from last year’s will have had their entry deferred to this year? I don’t know if I’ve been lucky in the past but I’ve entered the ballot 4 times and got a place twice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is that because loads of people from last year’s will have had their entry deferred to this year? I don’t know if I’ve been lucky in the past but I’ve entered the ballot 4 times and got a place twice.

Nah, it’s normally about 40/1 now apparently......Virgin take vastly more ballot entries than they used to (ballot used to close after a certain number, but that more than doubled a while back). I think they accept something like 500k now - for not much more than essentially about 10,000 places.

I’ve had two ballot successes too.........in about 20 attempts.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Nah, it’s normally about 40/1 now apparently......Virgin take vastly more ballot entries than they used to (ballot used to close after a certain number, but that more than doubled a while back). I think they accept something like 500k now - for not much more than essentially about 10,000 places.

I’ve had two ballot successes too.........in about 20 attempts.

Wow, that's incredible. My last London entry was in 2001, so it's going back a few years now. I was thinking of entering for last year's race on a good-for-age basis, but even this isn't the guaranteed entry that it used to be!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow, that's incredible. My last London entry was in 2001, so it's going back a few years now. I was thinking of entering for last year's race on a good-for-age basis, but even this isn't the guaranteed entry that it used to be!

Well a certain % of entrants to the ballot 'donate' their entry fees for a cheap branded top if they are unsuccessful, so the more entries they take, the more money they make ((for charity, obviously)............back in 2001 it was still fairly easy to get in through the ballot, and they also guaranteed you a place if you were unsuccessful 5 years in a row. They don't do that any more either. The GFA times have been whittled away quite a bit - that was always out of reach for me, it's now MILES out reach :) I'm not complaining though, have been lucky enough to do it 6 or 7 times with a couple of ballot places, couple of club places and some charity entries (it was dead easy to raise the money when I had a large team of staff I could threaten and a company that had a good matched giving scheme).

It's a brilliant event. The organisation and atmosphere are like nothing else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here