Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst I get all that, it's how you get to the position where your easy pace is as fast as it is, with your race pace being that much faster again.

Someone on here asked about running faster a few months ago and [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] essentially said something like "the only way to run faster is to run faster" and I've been keeping that in mind with my own running and I think it's paying dividends, evidenced by my 10km run yesterday where I was only really trying for the last mile or so.

My "easy pace" has quickened a fair bit, I think, over the last few months, although I've not run any great distances of note. The last time I tried a 13.1, I thought I'd be capable of holding 8:00/miles for the whole duration, but I ran out of gas from around 10 miles and lost time over the last three miles. I took a chunk of my previous best time, but it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for.

Need to take that in context though - by 'faster', in essence that means when you have a speed session, it needs to be exactly that - but you still need a high % of your volume at way below that pace. I get regular bollockings from my coach about my easy runs being too fast - to put it in perspective, his marathon best is around 2.45, but his easy runs are 9.30-10 min miles...........

Fast runs need to be faster, slow runs need to be slower as he says.................

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I just think by the time April comes around, mass-participation events of most kinds will be put on hold due to COVID-19.

Yes, that’s been worrying me too. Seems to be the logical progression given the current spread. If it came to that I think I’d still have the weekend in Brighton with good friends minus the lengthy run.

Alternatively, I could bring the rhino, run the damn thing anyway and confuse/annoy drivers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I just think by the time April comes around, mass-participation events of most kinds will be put on hold due to COVID-19.

It worries me too but then it would surely only be effective when combined with other restrictions on travel and going outdoors, things that could well restrict people's training anyway. I get the tube for over an hour to work sometimes, other times I am on internal flight regularly. TBH both of those seem just as risky but I can't see the whole country being shut down in such a manner. If Brighton were to go then London would certainly have to be binned and there are implications there for charities to lose millions.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
hi guys, loved the London Big Half yesterday and really pleased to have come home in 1:15:58, a new PB by was just over a minute from last year's race (1:17:00), and a 5:47 min/mile average pace. The conditions were good - cold with a few tricky breezy moments but dry & sunny. Amazing atmosphere with a lot of spectators lining the course.

The field at the sharp end is stacked with some seriously rapid runners (I placed 223rd overall / 209th Male / 25th in the M 40-44 age category).

It was a frantic start to navigate safely and my pacing was a little off to begin with. From mile 1 to 2 we ran through Limehouse Link Tunnel which is a long stretch and throws the GPS out considerably which didn't help. I managed to settle into a bit of rhythm from mile 5 and was running in a good pack or guys and girls.

We had the 1:15 pacer up ahead of us but it looked like he was either struggling or having a bit of a mare with his pacing as he kept slowing down back to where we were and then all of a sudden sprinting off. He did this about 5 or 6 times (at one point we could see up ahead that he stopped running for what must have been about 20 seconds!) This was causing quite a bit of confusion.

The final 5 miles were a lot of fun and it was great fun working together with a few others, pushing each other on. In the final mile I realised that I was on for nabbing a decent PB so I kicked on with another guy and girl and had to sprint the last 100 meters to just dip a fraction inside 1:16 by 2 seconds.

The only disappointment was that I didn't get a chance to get a glimpse of the distance running legend Ethiopia's Kenenisa Bekele at the start. He won and set a new course record of 60:22 from Mo Farah who won with a 61:14 in 2019.

Now back to marathon training for London in 8 weeks (fingers crossed it goes ahead...)

I was looking at you Strava post. What an impressive time. That's some serious pace to keep up for a half marathon :clap2:

Fingers crossed they don't cancel London. I'm starting to worry about Boston too.

Meanwhile, I did a 32k run on Saturday. The first half felt fine but then I suddenly got really hungry! I had to stop off at a coffee shop at around 20k to buy myself a pastry and an espresso. I think it was a combination of starting late (11:30) and a bit of jet lag from Portugal, so my body was demanding lunch!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Ah yes, this virus which affects almost nobody but we're meant to be considering it a global epidemic because the media are having a great time with it. The reporting is bordering on criminal in my opinion, massively unimpressed by the whole story and reporting. If the Brighton Marathon is off because of a fake health crisis, I'll be revolting! Revolting all over the place.

In happier news - massive congratulations to [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] - unbelievable Half Marathon time. :bowdown: To maintain that pace over such a long distance is absolutely incredible. Please stay WELL clear of parkrun for a while. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ah yes, this virus which affects almost nobody but we're meant to be considering it a global epidemic because the media are having a great time with it. The reporting is bordering on criminal in my opinion, massively unimpressed by the whole story and reporting. If the Brighton Marathon is off because of a fake health crisis, I'll be revolting! Revolting all over the place.

Let's hope you're right, for all our sakes. Clearly nothing anywhere will be cancelled on the basis of some Daily Express sensationalism.

However, the warnings from those organisations that are best-placed to understand the likely impacts of this, now the virus is freely-spreading in many countries, do not sound promising.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

In happier news - massive congratulations to [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] - unbelievable Half Marathon time. :bowdown: To maintain that pace over such a long distance is absolutely incredible. Please stay WELL clear of parkrun for a while. :thumbsup:

Be careful, you've expressed an opinion on something non running related. :ohmy: We'll be allowing swimming and triathlon transition tactics next.....

Regarding potential future race cancellation we can do nothing but carry on with the training (with fingers crossed BM is called off).

Will be adding the weekends 4 massive table updates later today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If BM does get pulled can anyone recommend a flat-ish, fast-ish, local-ish marathon during October? I imagine people will be signing up immediately the cancellation gets announced (which is now certain as Ninja is entered :lolol: ). Unless, of course, it is postponed rather than cancelled but I can't imagine a few months delay would be possible logistics wise.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm tempted to enter Leicester Marathon again for this year, but I don't really want to doom the residents to more flooding. Or maybe it would be a totally fresh disaster, reusing the same would be a waste of Mother Nature's talents/sense of humour.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If BM does get pulled can anyone recommend a flat-ish, fast-ish, local-ish marathon during October? I imagine people will be signing up immediately the cancellation gets announced (which is now certain as Ninja is entered :lolol: ). Unless, of course, it is postponed rather than cancelled but I can't imagine a few months delay would be possible logistics wise.

Beachy Head :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Thanks Ninja! I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to a parkrun anytime soon as one of my boys has kids sports club at 9am every Saturday during term time but I'm planning to have a crack at a 5k race at Serpentine Running Club's monthly "Last Friday of the Month" 5k in Hyde Park at the end of March. I did one of these last year (leading into the Manchester Marathon) where I dipped under 17 mins with I think my current 5k best of 16:55 so will be hoping to get close to that.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

There's the Bournemouth Marathon on October 4th I think. I've only run the Bournemouth Half a couple of times (it's on the same weekend and on some of the same route as the full) which I've enjoyed and the conditions have been both sunny & warm to cold & wet but perhaps a few here might have run the full to give you a better idea of the full marathon course and conditions. Similar to Brighton it's a coastal marathon so wind can play a part.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two words involving sex and travel...............

(plus, I'm already in it)

But on a serious note it's sub-4 or bust this year. I'll happily bin off Beachy if Brighton is postponed.

Ok - serious then :smile: The standard (Thames Path) Phoenix races would do you for a sub 4 attempt. Simple multiple (depending on which route is used) out-and-back routes on firm footpaths (and the out and back element helps with pacing). Very simple logistics (park at the start/finish) and not too far to travel. Lots of race choice as well. Ignore the gimmicky names - they're (as well as 'marketing') mainly for bling-hunters and 100MC wannabees ticking races off. I've seen several people use his events for things like GFA qualification. Rik organises a very good event.

https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events

You could also try Enigma Running (usually flattish laps of a lake in Milton Keynes) or Saxon Shore (lots of venues so would need to choose a flat/fast one like Deal seafront)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Ok - serious then :smile: The standard (Thames Path) Phoenix races would do you for a sub 4 attempt. Simple multiple (depending on which route is used) out-and-back routes on firm footpaths (and the out and back element helps with pacing). Very simple logistics (park at the start/finish) and not too far to travel. Lots of race choice as well. Ignore the gimmicky names - they're (as well as 'marketing') mainly for bling-hunters and 100MC wannabees ticking races off. I've seen several people use his events for things like GFA qualification. Rik organises a very good event.

https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events

You could also try Enigma Running (usually flattish laps of a lake in Milton Keynes) or Saxon Shore (lots of venues so would need to choose a flat/fast one like Deal seafront)

Briliant, thanks mate. I think you've shared that link before. Looks exactly what I'm after.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Some fine running efforts this weekend. From pissed up PB’s to Park Run 1st places, Steyning Stinger completion and HM PB’s.

I’ll bring the feel good vibe down by saying I’m injured. I’ve been very fortunate with injuries over the past 2 years but felt a niggle on my left foot Sunday. Decided to start my long run but stayed close to home throughout so I could cut short if needed.

It was painful throughout but stupidly I ran 19 miles. Today it’s painful to walk.

I don’t think it’s Plantar as the pain is purely in my left foot on the far left side.

I’m hoping with a bit of rest I’ll be ready for my 20 mile race Sunday. I’ve put in some decent mileage of late so 5/6 days off won’t be the end of the world.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a 'fake health crisis', more something that people don't know how to deal with, control or prevent against. I agree that there is a LOT of hysteria in the press about it but, isn't that what they always do with any sort of drama. In a week or two, it'll all be gone and it's onto the next thing (Harry and Meghan, Caroline Flack, Brexit, are recent examples of how quickly tabloid fascinations fade). In the real world, there are some sensible moves being made to try and limit the impact (and I do think there are some serious problems to come and ones that could lead to long-term lifestyle changes). One of them is to take away risk and if that means a ban on events over a certain number of people (as has happened in Switzerland, which is where I should be right now, in what is normally quite a lucrative week for me), then it's the price we have to pay. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't REALLY matter, even though yes, it is annoying. Yes, only a small number of people have been affected AT THE MOMENT. Without taking steps, who knows where it might lead? And that's the problem*- no-one really has a scooby!

Anyway, enough of that. Trainers: I seem to remember Nike having a similar (but inferior product) a few years back that took time off your run. They were 'limited' to a life of 250 miles or something? All this Vapourfly stuff is a bit re-inventing the wheel for me. But then maybe it's because my days of wanting to go faster have gone (for now, at least). But I did run this weekend. Not a half, as planned, but 10 miles, which was a struggle and made me glad that I couldn't enter the Stinger half as I'm not sure what state I would've been in at the end! I saw a bit of chat about monthly mileages earlier: not sure of individually, but my Jan and Feb total was just over a marathon :lol: I'm hoping to double that by the end of the week (including yesterday's 10).

Three Forts is my next target race, although a half before that would be quite nice. Hastings clashes with a significant day in the Bobkin family, so that's out, which is a shame, because I love that event. The good thing is that there's no shortage of races these days.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some fine running efforts this weekend. From pissed up PB’s to Park Run 1st places, Steyning Stinger completion and HM PB’s.

I’ll bring the feel good vibe down by saying I’m injured. I’ve been very fortunate with injuries over the past 2 years but felt a niggle on my left foot Sunday. Decided to start my long run but stayed close to home throughout so I could cut short if needed.

It was painful throughout but stupidly I ran 19 miles. Today it’s painful to walk.

I don’t think it’s Plantar as the pain is purely in my left foot on the far left side.

I’m hoping with a bit of rest I’ll be ready for my 20 mile race Sunday. I’ve put in some decent mileage of late so 5/6 days off won’t be the end of the world.

Oh dear bad luck. Maybe peroneal tendon but needs a Jesus diagnosis. Ice, raised leg and anti inflammatories for you initially.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Oh dear bad luck. Maybe peroneal tendon but needs a Jesus diagnosis. Ice, raised leg and anti inflammatories for you initially.

I think it’s a strain or a sprain. My foot and ankle have swollen considerably so just taken two paracetamols and will ice shortly.

NHS says 8 weeks before you can run but that surely can’t be right. I’m working away from home this week and running is great for breaking up the boredom of being away. Now it will be just me the Premier Inn and limited tv channels for company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here