Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
How was the the wedding? Anyone throw a moody??!! I trust not. Seriously I'm sure it was great and the beers well drunk.
Reaching for a cold craft when it's hot and dry. Sensible and practical move Caesar. Good work.

I'm in London and checked out the Euston Tap at Euston station last night. Sampled three pales in total: Mikkeller Green Gold, Moor Hop and something (name escapes me) and the ever dependable Kernel Citra Chinnock IPA. Off to The Challenger's wedding shortly and he has installed a range of keg ales from Redemption Brewery.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
lasvegan, what craft beer comes out of Nevada? I've had some decent stuff from the States either side but struggling for Nevada crafts.

We have a few, Tenaya Creek probably the best of the bunch, not sure of its availability nation wide though. Joseph James, Barleys, Sin City Brewing Co., Gordon Bierch {might be CA based} and Big Dog are some of the others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, I said a few pages back I may have to review my tastes (when I heard they were taken by BrewDog). Maybe they'll have other beers on sale too.

Brewdog bars have a wide range of UK and international craft on tap and in bottles aside from their own stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just back from my weekend stay at the Dogfish Head Inn in Lewes, Deleware. An excellent hotel in a lovely little seaside town. Even the soap in the bathroom has IPA in it's making! All good fun. On the way home we stopped at the brewery and tasting room in Milton. Excellent, a must for beer lovers who happen to be in that neck of the woods. All the Dogfish Head regular products available for tasting, plus the seasonals and specials. Plus an excellent selection of bratwurst and hop infused pickles to accompany. Had my first 120 Minute IPA, claims to be the strongest continually brewed IPA going, and rather tasty if a little strong - some 18 or 20%. Bit much for a seesion IPA!!!

Loads to buy in the shop, sp bought the t-shirt, some soap!!, glass ware, and of course beer. Most interesting is the Sixty-One, a continouusly hopped IPA brewed with syrah grape must. Certainly has a red tinge alright. All good stuff, the place was busy and shows just how far the craft beer movement has come. Makes some of the winery visits I've been on here in Virginia seem quite tame in comparison.

Wow. This sounds excellent. I will have to try and get some of these 60, 90, 120 brews if I can.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How was the the wedding? Anyone throw a moody??!! I trust not. Seriously I'm sure it was great and the beers well drunk.

It was good well behaved fun; no wobblies were thrown...well not that I know of. The bride is a headmistress so she is good at dealing with childish tantrums :wink: It was at Kenwood House, I got to DJ for a bit and it was really nice to catch up with all the usual suspects. I took a long weekend in London so managed to sneak in some craft bars, some eating and some shopping.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Spent last week in the Lake District and made a couple of visits to the Hawkshead Brewery http://www.hawksheadbrewery.co.uk/, where I worked my way through 8 of their beers, along with copious amounts of food. They are set up on an industrial estate, which makes this a strange tourist destination in the picturesque Lake District, however they have a great set up in their beer hall. Reasonably priced food and a wide choice of beers in comfortable surroundings.

They didn't have any of their limited editions available last week, which tend to include their stronger ales, and for me the pick of the bunch was the Pale Ale.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
Anyone use beer52? I got some decent craft beer from them!!! :)

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Back from yet another trip to San Francisco, at this rate I may as well move the family out there. Anywhere the high light of the return trip at the airport is the craft beer selection at the Mission Bar and Grill in the new United terminal. The Liberty Ale was good, but the Lagunitas Dogtown plae ale was the pick - I'll be keeping an eye out for that out east.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Spent last week in the Lake District and made a couple of visits to the Hawkshead Brewery http://www.hawksheadbrewery.co.uk/, where I worked my way through 8 of their beers, along with copious amounts of food. They are set up on an industrial estate, which makes this a strange tourist destination in the picturesque Lake District, however they have a great set up in their beer hall. Reasonably priced food and a wide choice of beers in comfortable surroundings.

They didn't have any of their limited editions available last week, which tend to include their stronger ales, and for me the pick of the bunch was the Pale Ale.

I was up there myself a year or so ago, I tried some of the Hawkshead ales as I recall but, I found this brewery's beers really lovely. The Bluebird bitter, although only 3.6%, had an amazing flavour.

http://www.conistonbrewery.com/coniston-ales.htm

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Right a craft beer virgin here so go easy please.......

I noticed our local Publix here has a whole range of craft beers so I think I will indulge. Should they be served cold or not ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right a craft beer virgin here so go easy please.......

I noticed our local Publix here has a whole range of craft beers so I think I will indulge. Should they be served cold or not ?

Welcome! And the answer is cold. And please tell us what you have tasted.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Welcome! And the answer is cold. And please tell us what you have tasted.

Thank you HT.

Will not sample till around this time tomorrow so will let you know.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ok so I have the following and sampling will start around 03:00 hrs BST so any pre-drink comments on them appreciated:

Lagunitas IPA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Longboard Island Lager

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ok so I have the following and sampling will start around 03:00 hrs BST so any pre-drink comments on them appreciated:

Lagunitas IPA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Longboard Island Lager

Tell your liver to get ready for action.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Longboard up first and I must say exceedingly refreshing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Next up Lagunitas and this is a cracker, very well stacked and 6.2%

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here