Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Jul 7, 2003
Not craft beer I know but the ice cold Rothaus Pils was flowing rather nicely on a warm and humid night in Berlin. Perfect pilsner.

Was drinking this in Cask at Pimlico on Monday evening. Went down very nicely on a warm and humid evening in London:cheers:

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I'm in a hot and rather dry Sacramento today, so already thinking of this evenings California beer choices. As I'll be on the train heading towards the Bay Area during the evening I will avail myself to the cafe cars selection of 22 oz 'bomber' bottles of Lagunita's IPA and everyones favorite Anchor Steam. All rather splendid as the train meanders along at no more than 60mph.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Stone Brewing Co have just announced they are to build a 25 million dollar craft brewery, bar and restaurant in Berlin. Should be open end of next year/early 2016.

Stone are really expanding out. That is quite a project. Just contemplating a choice of Stones IPA or Libert Ale, San Francisco - the new United Terminal at SFO has some great craft beers. It's a rather pleasant airport experience.

UTC (up the craft)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm in a hot and rather dry Sacramento today, so already thinking of this evenings California beer choices. As I'll be on the train heading towards the Bay Area during the evening I will avail myself to the cafe cars selection of 22 oz 'bomber' bottles of Lagunita's IPA and everyones favorite Anchor Steam. All rather splendid as the train meanders along at no more than 60mph.

Reaching for a cold craft when it's hot and dry. Sensible and practical move Caesar. Good work.

I'm in London and checked out the Euston Tap at Euston station last night. Sampled three pales in total: Mikkeller Green Gold, Moor Hop and something (name escapes me) and the ever dependable Kernel Citra Chinnock IPA. Off to The Challenger's wedding shortly and he has installed a range of keg ales from Redemption Brewery.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Stone are really expanding out. That is quite a project. Just contemplating a choice of Stones IPA or Libert Ale, San Francisco - the new United Terminal at SFO has some great craft beers. It's a rather pleasant airport experience.

UTC (up the craft)

I had a 40cl of the Liberty from the tap in a bar in Venice a couple of weeks ago and although lovely as usual the price tag of 9 euros made me move on. The Italiam crafts were quite reasonable and they even had a Thornbridge Jaipur ON TAP. That was 10 euros. Found a Belgium style bar later and camped in there until I got dragged out to eat........bah.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Craft - the previous staff have all been sacked. They were the soul of the place, now apparently employed by BrewDog. Time to re-assess my feelings for their sexist marketing. Research time ...
It's BBD for me now as my local.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Craft - the previous staff have all been sacked. They were the soul of the place, now apparently employed by BrewDog. Time to re-assess my feelings for their sexist marketing. Research time ...

I was underwhelmed, they were lacking an Imperial Stout (though the 10% Cask Triple IPA and the Cannonball were lovely.) Didn't think the upstairs was much to write home about, burgers looked pretty good. I was back in the Star by nine.

The new staff were also a bit poo. I'm sure that will improve though.

Was it me or have the prices reduced?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was underwhelmed, they were lacking an Imperial Stout (though the 10% Cask Triple IPA and the Cannonball were lovely.) Didn't think the upstairs was much to write home about, burgers looked pretty good. I was back in the Star by nine.

New staff; boooo. Shame as they were great.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

It was all about the Cannonball for me last night - superb.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton

So sad to hear that because the staff, especially Maria (?) really made the place. She knew so much about the beers, knew what I liked and would make good recommendations.

Also sad that it'll not open before 4.00 so a longer walk to BBD for my Friday lunchtime tippl.

Oh, and the yellow, not good.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Just posted on the other beer thread, but it belongs in here really.

Pope's Yard Keeping Porter (10.9%), aged one year in brett-infected casks. Sadly a one-off I think as it was brewed specially for the Festival Brettanomyces in Amsterdam. Lovely stuff nonetheless - who knew such good things could come out of Watford?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
So sad to hear that because the staff, especially Maria (?) really made the place. She knew so much about the beers, knew what I liked and would make good recommendations.

Also sad that it'll not open before 4.00 so a longer walk to BBD for my Friday lunchtime tippl.

Oh, and the yellow, not good.

Yeah Marie/Maria was lovely, and far too good at her job to get sacked just to be replaced by london boys. I've been to BBD ever since (I go out a lot).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah Marie/Maria was lovely, and far too good at her job to get sacked just to be replaced by london boys. I've been to BBD ever since (I go out a lot).

Agree. I have heard Marie and co will be the team running and working at Brewdog. I know you're not keen on Brewdog but this is good news for them I think. Their talents will not be neglected there.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Agree. I have heard Marie and co will be the team running and working at Brewdog. I know you're not keen on Brewdog but this is good news for them I think. Their talents will not be neglected there.

Yeah, I said a few pages back I may have to review my tastes (when I heard they were taken by BrewDog). Maybe they'll have other beers on sale too.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Just back from my weekend stay at the Dogfish Head Inn in Lewes, Deleware. An excellent hotel in a lovely little seaside town. Even the soap in the bathroom has IPA in it's making! All good fun. On the way home we stopped at the brewery and tasting room in Milton. Excellent, a must for beer lovers who happen to be in that neck of the woods. All the Dogfish Head regular products available for tasting, plus the seasonals and specials. Plus an excellent selection of bratwurst and hop infused pickles to accompany. Had my first 120 Minute IPA, claims to be the strongest continually brewed IPA going, and rather tasty if a little strong - some 18 or 20%. Bit much for a seesion IPA!!!

Loads to buy in the shop, sp bought the t-shirt, some soap!!, glass ware, and of course beer. Most interesting is the Sixty-One, a continouusly hopped IPA brewed with syrah grape must. Certainly has a red tinge alright. All good stuff, the place was busy and shows just how far the craft beer movement has come. Makes some of the winery visits I've been on here in Virginia seem quite tame in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here