Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had my first Dead Pony Club on Thursday from The Cow and then a Goose Island Green Line. The Brewdog ale is very good but wasn't over fussed with the latter.

I struggle with Dead Pony Club. Given I like Punk IPA so much it seems a bit wishy washy to me. Not been to The Cow yet; how was it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Craft Beer Co is in group F chaps and chapesses. Get voting!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I struggle with Dead Pony Club. Given I like Punk IPA so much it seems a bit wishy washy to me. Not been to The Cow yet; how was it?

Exactly how one would expect a new Brighton craft ale pub to look. :)

You are not the first to say that about DPC HT but if you make it your opener it's quite yummy IMO.

Oh and the bar staff were dreadful bless them, although they were new to it all I suspect.

termy46

Feb 26, 2010
Well, the craft beer revolution has definitely hit Brighton; two pubs already and another on the way. For the record I'm currently drinking a barrel-aged imperial 7.7 lager from Brewdog. What you drinking?

Having been to Cornwall recently, and trying an ale called Proper Job on draught, I currently have a soft spot for it. 4 for 5 quid at Tesco Holmbush too. Had it before at beer festivals but on draught in its home county is pretty darn good

termy46

Feb 26, 2010
Having been to Cornwall recently, and trying an ale called Proper Job on draught, I currently have a soft spot for it. 4 for 5 quid at Tesco Holmbush too. Had it before at beer festivals but on draught in its home county is pretty darn good

I appreciate its not from a micro brewery but its still handsome, and its what I'm drinking at the moment.
Kissingate's First Kiss is a must, should anyone see it.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Business brings me to Dallas, Tx for the next couple of days so I'm curious to check out the local craft beer scene.

I will most likely try and head out to the 'Meddlesome Moth' tonight as it seems to have a great range of local, nationa,l and international crafts on tap and in the bottle.

http://www.mothinthe.net/

I did see that they have a Brewdog hard core IPA - is this the same Brewdog that Herr CraftThumper often mentions, or perhaps an American Cousin?

Will report back...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Business brings me to Dallas, Tx for the next couple of days so I'm curious to check out the local craft beer scene.

I will most likely try and head out to the 'Meddlesome Moth' tonight as it seems to have a great range of local, nationa,l and international crafts on tap and in the bottle.

I did see that they have a Brewdog hard core IPA - is this the same Brewdog that Herr CraftThumper often mentions, or perhaps an American Cousin?

Will report back...

Enjoy, the US beer scene is amazing ! Especially away from the big touristy cities. Yep will be the same, Brewdog export business is massive. The Hardcore IPA is quite strong and complex (IMO) compared to the normal IPA, but a nice starting point for an IPA. Hoptastic!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sometimes think of this thread as a game of top trumps so here we go.

a5ata3u6.jpg

na7ytu6e.jpg

Obscurity rating 8 (Polish beer)
Location 9 (Krakow)
Quality 7+6 (not thrilled but better than local lager)
Street cred 5 (cool bar but too early)
Hanging out with the cool kids 2 (er I just wasted an hour playing pinball with the bar man)

8% beer plus tapatalk if this post is even worse than my usual garbage.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Some discussions earlier today about the Bronx on the New York thread. Well at least one good thing comes out of the Bronx – and a very tasty pale ale it is as well, also in cans.Pale ale.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Will report back...

Howdy. Yes indeed it is. Hardcore IPA is Brewdog's double IPA. Hop-tastic!

I do envy you US based folk; so many great bars.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Well where to go from here ? Shunned by the cool kids. If I skulk back to the squares, they will know that I tried and failed to hang out with the happening people and will surely dish out the same treatment.

On a more serious note. There is an emerging market for beer in Poland. There are now over 40 breweries in Sussex, chasing a very competitive market. There is a big opportunity here for an entrepreneurial brewer, to really make things happen. I fear the Brits have lost this sense of business adventure and defeatism and insularity have taken a firm grip.

UKIP is the answer, just ask the dinosaurs, they saw what was coming.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California

Will report back...

Well sad news to report - I didn't make it the Moth, had to settle for a few bottles of Shiner Bock in the hotel which wasn't what I was hoping for. Still I expect to be back there before long, so hopefully better luck then.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
For those of you on East Anglia, a micro pub has opened in Ely called the Liberty Belle. It sells cask ale only such as Norfolk Kiwi, Citra and Double Dog. Sells a decent selection of cheese as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here