Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Another fan of Dogfish Head here, agree about the 60 minute IPA. They brought out a special one off ale called 'Bitches Brew' to honour the 40th anniversary of Miles Davis' classic album by the same name. That was in 2010 just after I moved to the States, one gulp and I was hooked on their stuff. I also like their T shirts with the "off centered beers for off centered people" logo. There is a craft ale fest coming up in NYC and they are one of the exhibitors - look forward to trying some of their new ales

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have become quite a fan of these guys;

http://www.dogfishalehouse.com/beers

There is plenty of Dogfish to be had from the local outlets round these parts (Virginia), not sure if it gets across the Pond or not. 60 Minute IPA is a classic.

The 120 Minute IPA looks somewhat interesting.

I love the way some of the beers coming in at a 6% are seen as all day or session beers!

I have seen it in a few bottle shops in the UK and they had some bottles at the Craft Beer Pavilion at the Berlin Beer Festival. I'll investigate.

Agree about the ABVs. 6% seems to be entry level and 9% stouts are seen as normal in the craft beer world.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has anyone seen Saltaire Brewery stuff (near Leeds) look some interesting combos. Their chocolate stout is meant to be amazing. I'm not really drinking at the moment, and have quite a back log to get through, but I am tempted to place an order for 11 bottles to give them a whirl, even with shipping works out about £3 a bottle.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is an interesting concept

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...s-in-US-craft-brewers-to-boost-its-beer-offer

Basically, 'spoons are flying in the head brewers from popular US craft brewers to brew their signature beers in the UK. I presume this is cheaper than importing the stuff from the US.

might consider that the demand from 'spoonies could take them over their volume quota to remain a "craft beer" in the US. shame spoonies arnt promoting some of the other English types, would love to see more Old ale rather american citrusy high % IPAs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

might consider that the demand from 'spoonies could take them over their volume quota to remain a "craft beer" in the US. shame spoonies arnt promoting some of the other English types, would love to see more Old ale rather american citrusy high % IPAs.

I thought 'spoons did promote a pretty good range of English ales? I had a Dorking Red IPA yesterday.

As an aside I dropped in on Utobeer, a bottle shop at Borough Market and picked up some Kernel pale ale, a Red Hop Ale from Rogue, a bottle of Thornbridge Jaipur, a WildBeer oak-aged Saison and two oak barrel aged 7.7 BrewDog lagers to go with 8 craft beers a friend brought me back from Tokyo. One smashed in transit but otherwise it was a good haul from my trip to London.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I thought 'spoons did promote a pretty good range of English ales?

brewers, certainly. they seem rather narrow in the style though, in London at least. nothing to complain about really, just i dont care much for the invasion of the american style over other styles that might be pushed aside. its difficult enough to find a old ale as it is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
brewers, certainly. they seem rather narrow in the style though, in London at least. nothing to complain about really, just i dont care much for the invasion of the american style over other styles that might be pushed aside. its difficult enough to find a old ale as it is.

I gotcha. Fair comment.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

You need to come back to Sussex then! There are three breweries in Horsham alone who brew Old Ales.....

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You need to come back to Sussex then! There are three breweries in Horsham alone who brew Old Ales.....

i know... but Wetherspoons dont run such styles, thats the bit being discussed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Enjoying a The Kernel Brewery Pale Ale (Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka and Tomahawk hops). This is very nice. Cool little south London brewery. Check them out as this is as good as pale ales get IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to a Belgian craft beer tasting night on Thursday. Some interesting stuff happening over the border. The one which stuck in my mind was a Houblon Chouffe which is a double IPA triple. It's a double IPA brewed with the yeast they use for triples. Starts of like a triple but has a fantastic bitter IPA finish.

Enjoying a The Kernel Brewery Pale Ale (Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka and Tomahawk hops). This is very nice. Cool little south London brewery. Check them out as this is as good as pale ales get IMHO.

Kernel is an excellent brewery, started by someone who went to US and decided to do something about the inferior quality we were getting used to. They have an excellent range....

20130829-205607.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kernel is an excellent brewery, started by someone who went to US and decided to do something about the inferior quality we were getting used to. They have an excellent range....

View attachment 47821

:thumbsup:
I must admit I have been shamefully slow to pick up on these guys and have only had two of their beers to date. I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Boulevard Brewing, the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] biggest craft brewer in the States, has been taken over by Belgian brewer Duvel. If it had to be taken over I’m glad it was by Duvel as they have a reputation for quality, unlike say Coors or Bud who are just conglomerates. There is a rumour that Brooklyn Brewery could be next. Boulevard may now not be considered a craft brewer due to its ownership. I like the way the lower barrel limit was dropped when Sam Adams exceeded it !

Boulevard Brewing taken over by Duvel

The article also contains a good piece on how craft brewing is growing in the States whilst the big brewers are struggling

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Boulevard Brewing, the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] biggest craft brewer in the States, has been taken over by Belgian brewer Duvel. If it had to be taken over I’m glad it was by Duvel as they have a reputation for quality, unlike say Coors or Bud who are just conglomerates. There is a rumour that Brooklyn Brewery could be next. Boulevard may now not be considered a craft brewer due to its ownership. I like the way the lower barrel limit was dropped when Sam Adams exceeded it !

Boulevard Brewing taken over by Duvel

The article also contains a good piece on how craft brewing is growing in the States whilst the big brewers are struggling

Interesting move. I like Duvel as well.

Having a Brewdog 7.7 barrel aged lager with some cheese

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Had my first Dead Pony Club on Thursday from The Cow and then a Goose Island Green Line. The Brewdog ale is very good but wasn't over fussed with the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here