Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official match thread **** Charlton Athletic FC v Brighton and Hove Albion FC ****

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
S**t happens. This time (ish) last year we had that complete meltdown against Watford and I and a lot of others thought Poyet had lost it. Then look at what a second half of season we had. Capable of that again IMO. Now, it's Boxing Day so get the knives away from your wrists and open your fridges. If you're as lucky as me they'll be full of cheese, cold meat and beer that needs to find a home before it goes off.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Might as well start preparing for L1

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With seventeen shots on goal at least half of them have to be on target and for me that is biggest damning stat of today. Charlton only had three on target and scored with all of them!

The Xmas fixtures ALWAYS throw up surprise results, I'd lay money we don't turn out to be the only shock defeat today.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All this talk about.............. "going to places like this and winning".... "should be beating teams like this" :bla: Is just filler clichéd bollox really isn't it. Just look at our away record against the 3 teams that came down from the prem for example. If the Championship teaches anything, it's surely that anyone can beat anyone in this division and vice versa (which is of course a cliché in itself of course).

Today it sounds like we didn't make the most of all the possession we had, but please let's not start all that "should be beating teams like this" bollox.
Only Yeovil , Barnsley , Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: and Donny can be regarded as easy pickings , last season there was 6 teams and this season there are only 4.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All this talk about.............. "going to places like this and winning".... "should be beating teams like this" :bla: Is just filler clichéd bollox really isn't it. Just look at our away record against the 3 teams that came down from the prem for example. If the Championship teaches anything, it's surely that anyone can beat anyone in this division and vice versa (which is of course a cliché in itself of course).

Today it sounds like we didn't make the most of all the possession we had, but please let's not start all that "should be beating teams like this" bollox.

That old cliche about anyone can beat anyone, but last season Hull and Cardiff seemed strangely to win a lot more than others, and this season Derby, Leicester, QPR and Burnley seem to be finding winning a lot easier than the Albion. PL awaits those clubs with decent squads and coaching.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You know it makes sense! Birders we will be lucky to get 2 mill for him...no other bankable players apart from ulloa....time to cash in.

It doesn't make sense at all. Why would you cash in on your only goal scorer when there's still an excellent chance of the playoffs?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With seventeen shots on goal at least half of them have to be on target and for me that is biggest damning stat of today. Charlton only had three on target and scored with all of them!

We scored twice , hit both posts and they cleared a goal-bound header off the line. You can't win them all , shit happens now and again.

The Xmas fixtures ALWAYS throw up surprise results, I'd lay money we don't turn out to be the only shock defeat today.

Agreed but our profligacy in front of goal is worrying. We haven't been consistent enough in front of goal for a couple of seasons now I'd say but unfortunately for us a clinical striker will cost us a fortune in this division.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You carry on loving SD fella, IMO he is a liability living off of a free kick against Palace. Nice guy he may be but has done nothing to warrant his selection. May not be a popular view but the guy is second rate.

Actually, I'd say it was a popular view. He is one of the players that has been targeted by the supposed "boo-boys". Like with various players over the last few seasons, some people (not saying this necessarily applies to you) have decided he isn't up to it, so never actually pay attention to what he does, or look at what he does with their already decided bias. For example (as I mentioned after we played Barnsley) there were people who, when he put in crosses that were perhaps an inch or two away from being perfect - cross that almost landed on a team mate's head only to be touched away by a defender, an inch or so higher they make it through - he was met with cries of "who was that to?" and "what a waste! Get 'im off!", then Buckley came on and put in an identical cross only for it to be met with "That's what we've been missing! You watching, Lopez?".

Criticising Lopez is not an unpopular view. It is often unfair, though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
1 point from Huddersfield and Charlton, teams we should be THRASHING not just beating. Always SAID Oscar was a DUD

I'm still on the OsCAR

We scored twice , hit both posts and they cleared a goal-bound header off the line. You can't win them all , shit happens now and again.

I think it's reasonable to expect that any football team should get around fifty percent of their attempts on goal on target. As you say though shit happens!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only Yeovil , Barnsley , Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: and Donny can be regarded as easy pickings , last season there was 6 teams and this season there are only 4.

Just makes me fed up when Warren Aspinal comes out with the clichéd crap, he's better than that.

I share my season ticket now so wasn't at the Barnsley 'debacle' but found myself shouting at the radio when a so called fan said he'd come over from Spain purposely for the Barnsley game as was looking forward to the win but is now going home disgusted. What a w*&ker!, should have shown more faith and chosen the clash with top of the table Leicester instead shouldn't he :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That old cliche about anyone can beat anyone, but last season Hull and Cardiff seemed strangely to win a lot more than others, and this season Derby, Leicester, QPR and Burnley seem to be finding winning a lot easier than the Albion. PL awaits those clubs with decent squads and coaching.

QPR and Leicester will have spent a fortune on the playing budget and are turning a blind eye to FFP , Derby and Burnley won't be that far behind. Burnley have to go for it because it is the final parachute payment for them.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
S**t happens. This time (ish) last year we had that complete meltdown against Watford and I and a lot of others thought Poyet had lost it. Then look at what a second half of season we had. Capable of that again IMO. Now, it's Boxing Day so get the knives away from your wrists and open your fridges. If you're as lucky as me they'll be full of cheese, cold meat and beer that needs to find a home before it goes off.

THIS.
Along with sagging salad, leftover veg, Xmas pudding (untouched) & half eaten trifle.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just makes me fed up when Warren Aspinal comes out with the clichéd crap, he's better than that.

I share my season ticket now so wasn't at the Barnsley 'debacle' but found myself shouting at the radio when a so called fan said he'd come over from Spain purposely for the Barnsley game as was looking forward to the win but is now going home disgusted. What a w*&ker!, should have shown more faith and chosen the clash with top of the table Leicester instead shouldn't he :lol:

I came over from Malta for both games and have to say it was two different teams representing Albion on those days. One seemed to be really up for it (Leicester) and the other seemed to think it was theirs already (Barnsley). I think today was a bit of the ours already again. Not sure how you can motivate players out of over confidence. Maybe play the less experienced players? Who knows the answer? Not me.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I came over from Malta for both games and have to say it was two different teams representing Albion on those days. One seemed to be really up for it (Leicester) and the other seemed to think it was theirs already (Barnsley). I think today was a bit of the ours already again. Not sure how you can motivate players out of over confidence. Maybe play the less experienced players? Who knows the answer? Not me.[/QUOTE

yes ......but no..but yeh.... bvut aaaahhh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here