Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Swindon Town Match Thread ***

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Jamie Cullum is a swindon fan; notwithstanding it was a great start although we were hanging on at the end; we were in line with our second goal and def onside. on the "Austin incident" he looked to be running away from the goal and there was a defender behind the keeper so booking was right decision imo. All will be revealed on the tellybox later.

Pity Shoreham M didn't mention our support and what he thinks of it. He could post again if not drowned in his sorrows.
100% correct...as was the referee on this occasion.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Well, good game, thought on the run of it should have been a draw.

Anyway if you want to read my thoughts here we go, if you couldnt give a shit skip this.

Your first goal was excellent, great build up play with a superb finish. It was 50-50 up to that point until your goal which was pretty much your first chance. We then changed our formation to 4-5-1 which is a credit to you as you were overpowering us in midfield in the first 20 minutes. Once we changed we started to get on top and created a couple of good chances and arguably Austin could have had a penalty.

Second half started off slowly, Biggest disapointment for me from our perspective was the performance of Prutton who looked lost, when he was eventually substituted for Ferry we looked so much sharper. Your second goal well i was at the other end of the ground so dont know but our crowd at that end were going f***ing beserk about it being offside, spoke to a couple of albion fans at the end who confirmed this. Them the breaks. Then big decision when ankergen was only booked and not red carded, of course im going to say it should have been a straight red austin was through and it was a clear goal scoring opportunity. He should have gone. Austin scored from the melle from the resulting free kick and it was game on again. You held on in the end and Austin was incredibly unlucky not score near the end, but there you go.

I thought you were very well organised, you didnt offer much goal threat, the two you scored one was a cracker with easily the best move of the game and the second was offside, apart from that you didnt really create anything else. You looked strong and passed it well, and i think both teams will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. some weeks you get the breaks some you dont, there was 2 big decisions today and they both went your way, hopefully over the season these balance themselves out. Fair play and roll on next week

Listening to your fans and Wilson on your phone in on the way home, he disagreed with most of what you just said.

By the way, he was onside. I've just seen it on TV.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
100% onside, i was there, it happened directly in front of me. I love it.

I was in line and he was onside. Ankergren's yellow was right too. Austin was going away from goal and there was another player (Elphick?) beyond our keeper.
Sparrow's first goal was sublime.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
on side or not we scored 2 they did'nt :rave:

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Which player made the blocks right at the end to stop them scoring?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Really good result yesterday although not the best performance ever. Two well taken goals and Sparrow looks a great signing. I am intrigued by some of the comments made by Swindon fans. Firstly, the second goal was nowhere near offside, as shown by replays, yet they try to claim it was five yards offside. Might be worth getting glasses.

They also think that we were too physical. I know we had four bookings but Elphick's was right in front of me (was sitting in the front row) and although he dived in a bit he didn't actually get near to touching their player who blatantly dived. The booking of El Abd was also weird as he got the ball well before Pericard got there and Pericard was up straight away after El Abd was booked. Also thought a number of their players could have been booked including Douglas for swinging out at Bennett and their right back for a blatant foul in front of us.

Finally, the referee got the Ankergren decision spot on as under the rules it was not a goalscoring opportunity as he was going away from goal and there was cover. Overall, we have to be pleased and it is great to get the result without Murray, Greer and Brezovan and hopefully with a couple more new signings to come. I would also like to thank David Prutton for, allegedly, turning us down. On the basis of yesterday, Matt Sparrow is a class above him.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Really good result yesterday although not the best performance ever. Two well taken goals and Sparrow looks a great signing. I am intrigued by some of the comments made by Swindon fans. Firstly, the second goal was nowhere near offside, as shown by replays, yet they try to claim it was five yards offside. Might be worth getting glasses.

They also think that we were too physical. I know we had four bookings but Elphick's was right in front of me (was sitting in the front row) and although he dived in a bit he didn't actually get near to touching their player who blatantly dived. The booking of El Abd was also weird as he got the ball well before Pericard got there and Pericard was up straight away after El Abd was booked. Also thought a number of their players could have been booked including Douglas for swinging out at Bennett and their right back for a blatant foul in front of us.

Finally, the referee got the Ankergren decision spot on as under the rules it was not a goalscoring opportunity as he was going away from goal and there was cover. Overall, we have to be pleased and it is great to get the result without Murray, Greer and Brezovan and hopefully with a couple more new signings to come. I would also like to thank David Prutton for, allegedly, turning us down. On the basis of yesterday, Matt Sparrow is a class above him.

Excellent post.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was sitting behind the goal and not far from the Douglas/ Bennett non incident. The ref. must have been looking at it and if the lino ( Ass. ref bollocks.) should have been right on top of it, as the ball had just gone out of play. It was the most blatant right hook I have ever seen at a footy match on television or a park match, and I wear glasses.
The only good thing about it was Benno's non reaction, very dignified. :bowdown:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Top post.

We followed 3 swindon fans, and all they went on about was how Pericard is a complete waste of space. However El abd was mentioned a lot, about how he was out of order towards their CF, Dossevvi was it? I know he's one of the more physical in the league, but this is league 1 and its always been a physical league. The fact was that forward was going down like a sack of potatoes every time he was touched, which made El abd look a lot lot worse than he actually was. Also heard a lot of complaints about Douglas, which was a tad suprising, and based on yesterday im glad Prutton turned us down.
Numerous comments about our discipline though, I honestly didnt think it was that bad, IMO it could easily have been them with 4 or 5 bookings.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Second was clearly on side, i've paused it on SSN and everything. About 5 yards onside in fact

Just to put it to bed and allow the Swindon fans to cry a bit more, here is the proof, Sparrow is clearly a yard and a half onside with ball having been played by Smith.

4873021350_8803eb00fa_m.jpg

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Top post.

We followed 3 swindon fans, and all they went on about was how Pericard is a complete waste of space. However El abd was mentioned a lot, about how he was out of order towards their CF, Dossevvi was it? I know he's one of the more physical in the league, but this is league 1 and its always been a physical league. The fact was that forward was going down like a sack of potatoes every time he was touched, which made El abd look a lot lot worse than he actually was. Also heard a lot of complaints about Douglas, which was a tad suprising, and based on yesterday im glad Prutton turned us down.
Numerous comments about our discipline though, I honestly didnt think it was that bad, IMO it could easily have been them with 4 or 5 bookings.

I agree. It is funny, I know both sets of fans are biased but I thought the referee gave them the benefit of the doubt on a number of decisions and we were hard done by during the game. Quite where he got 5 minutes injury time in the second half from is beyond me. The other thing I noticed on one of their websites was they were annoyed at Austin's booking. That was a clear booking as he over ran the ball and slid in and fouled Navarro after the ball had gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here