Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Official Album of the Year 2016 Thread***

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Mine will feature Anna Meredith, Oh Sees, PJ Harvey, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, Cavern of anti matter and a few few more. I loved the previous Angel Olsen LP, but I didn't get on with the new one at all. I bought tickets to see her, but sold them.
Do you think Resident have loads of Underworld LP's to sell? What?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Mine will feature Anna Meredith, Oh Sees, PJ Harvey, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, Cavern of anti matter and a few few more. I loved the previous Angel Olsen LP, but I didn't get on with the new one at all. I bought tickets to see her, but sold them.
Do you think Resident have loads of Underworld LP's to sell? What?

PYE CORNER AUDIO, ROLY PORTER, BOWIE. not heard the Nick Cave one enough.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Actually someone will probably search the albums thread and find me calling it "a massive return to form." "album of the year material." etc...
Ha! I have the same fear. There's an album or two in that thread that I raved about for all of 5 minutes describing it as my album of the year only for me to forget about it a few months down the line.

No surprises that Resident's top 100 list veers more to the folky and one that I'm probably in more agreement with.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Brilliant thread, god you all know a lot about music.

I know it might have been a late entry, but can't understand how the Tribe album isn't on that list.

Big Black Coat by Junior Boys. Brilliant, original, weird dance album.

[yt]JLWs8m9jeSw[/yt]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why is Bon Iver's album featuring so high in so many lists? I say this rarely but it's a truly shocking album.
Here's a challenge: name one artist that has fallen so precipitously from initial high standards. The route from Forever Emma to everything else is the greatest swallow dive I've heard.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Just reading the review for this contemporary compendium of classics

81rTJ7gCw4L._SL1500_.jpg

on Amazon. Fair enough.

bill.JPG

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just having a listen to the Piccadilly Records (Manchester) list. The no. 1 by Whyte Horses, does have a little bit of the flavour of them helping out a mate but having said that, it's accessible and has some range. The first 4 or 5 tracks have made me think Tame Impala, Suede and a bit of Broadcast but I suppose overall it's mostly reminiscent of Stereolab.

Well worth a listen anyway.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why is Bon Iver's album featuring so high in so many lists? I say this rarely but it's a truly shocking album.
Here's a challenge: name one artist that has fallen so precipitously from initial high standards. The route from Forever Emma to everything else is the greatest swallow dive I've heard.

I forget who, might have been David Quantick, but they described the new Bon Iver album as him being let loose in the studio and asking "what does this button do? Can we put that in?" I'm not sure what the last album was supposed to be but it was a bloody mess. Even the 'Witch House' style song titles were annoying. I listened to the album a couple of times but shan't be returning.

In answer to your second question, I would always cite The Pipettes. I'd probably also add Calvin Harris. And definitely UB40.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I forget who, might have been David Quantick, but they described the new Bon Iver album as him being let loose in the studio and asking "what does this button do? Can we put that in?" I'm not sure what the last album was supposed to be but it was a bloody mess. Even the 'Witch House' style song titles were annoying. I listened to the album a couple of times but shan't be returning.

In answer to your second question, I would always cite The Pipettes. I'd probably also add Calvin Harris. And definitely UB40.

It's utter shit. I was sort of interested by the first couple of things that emerged but the album's is an unlistenable dirge. It's probably worse than that pitiful AOR second album he did.

Watching the music press fall over themselves to fawn over it, is frankly hilarious. Groupthink at its best.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

The Kings of Leon's has been more a steady decline but put their most recent one up against 'Youth and Young Manhood.' The same band, just with all trace of inspiration removed.

Peaking Lights? 936 was one of my favourite records of the last 10 years (and quite a few other people's too by the amount of times I hear it out these days), Lucifer was barely ok, Cosmic Logic was dire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here