Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Official Album of the Year 2016 Thread***

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I liked this year, and the following will probably be featuring in mine:
The Thing (Shake), Michael Kiwanuka, Tim Hecker, Olafar Arnaulds, Imarhan
Probably P J Harvey and Radiohead, perhaps Thee Oh Sees
Not so sure if Cave will make mine, I love the last three tracks, but don't know if the previous ones are that strong

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I liked this year, and the following will probably be featuring in mine:
The Thing (Shake), Michael Kiwanuka, Tim Hecker, Olafar Arnaulds, Imarhan
Probably P J Harvey and Radiohead, perhaps Thee Oh Sees
Not so sure if Cave will make mine, I love the last three tracks, but don't know if the previous ones are that strong

Thee Oh Sees is a solid running album for me. I dread to think how many miles I've pounded listening to it. There's a companion album coming out soon as well. Great stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Three things about these lists

1) The demonstrate how forgetful I am.
2) They cost me a fortune in further purchases.
3) I love them and are a rare NSC occasion when no one bickers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Surprised the Ahoni album hasn't got a mention yet. One of my faves for sure.

This thread has made me go back and listen to the Iggy record again and reminded me that I absolutely love it. It's oozing with this mature(ish), knowing, late-period rock star thing. Nice to hear Josh Homme play a bit of sideman again, I've always been more Kyuss than QoTSA.

I know there's a lot of John Dwyer fans on here (Thee Oh Sees), I'm not sure he's put anything out under the Damaged Bug moniker this year but those records are well worth a listen. It's his pretty poptastic synth project.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This thread has made me go back and listen to the Iggy record again and reminded me that I absolutely love it. It's oozing with this mature(ish), knowing, late-period rock star thing. Nice to hear Josh Homme play a bit of sideman again, I've always been more Kyuss than QoTSA.

Demonstrating @HT's comment about forgetfulness, I neglected to include Ahnoni on my rushed initial thoughts. Will rectify in due course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know there's a lot of John Dwyer fans on here (Thee Oh Sees), I'm not sure he's put anything out under the Damaged Bug moniker this year but those records are well worth a listen. It's his pretty poptastic synth project.

I'm not aware of any Damaged Bug output this year. I think he's just done two long players under this alias (it's difficult to tel with him) and the last was 2015. Agree they are well worth a listen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Anohni album is hit and miss for me, although the "hits" are fantastic.

Re: Iggy - it's a superb album. Homme is beautifully restrained, when he could so easily have Queensed all over the show.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I stand corrected on Moderat. Am now listening to II, which was released in 2013. I might buy III.
The other album that hasn't been mentioned that I might also drag out is Melt Yourself Down.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
No mentions for Tindersticks, Kristin Hersch?

Shame on you NSC.

(More to follow)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
As usual, I didn't have the patience to enjoy any albums from start to finish this year - I always seem to hear too much filler. I think my brain cells are now dying and I am descending into a bottomless pit lined with "Greatest Hits" albums. Anyway, I'll do songs of the year instead:

New Song - Warpaint
How - Daughter
Ariana - Mercury Girls
Your Best American Girl - Mitski
iT - Christine and the Queens
Easier Said - Sunflower Bean
Hometown - Haley Bonar
Cogs - Minor Victories
Super Natural - Danny L Harle (featuring Carly Rae Jepsen)
I Can't Give Everything Away - David Bowie

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rough Trade are first out of the traps with their list of the best albums of 2016. Seems like a list of any half listenable indie albums released this year.

https://roughtrade.com/albums-of-the-year

Feel free to add your own top 10 and links to any other similar lists.

I feel like I've hardly played any new music this year at all and was going to do as normal and combine some of the ones I fancied off that list with the Resident one and use it as a birthday and Christmas present wish list (my birthday's at the end of this month). Then I clicked in the link and realised that I'd been playing Blackstar and Charles Bradley with alarming regularity, recommended Cavern of Anti Matter to a friend and have also waxed lyrical about Saul Williams' Martyr Loser King. So there you go - my four for the year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm also finally getting Esben and the Witch. Their new album is damn good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here