Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Album of the Year 2015 Thread ***

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Algiers is a clever record to have at number one - likely to have broad appeal and didn't really take off like everyone thought it would. And it's good.

That's a much better list - Holter , Blanck Mass, Mbongwa Star rightly top ten (I'll take their word for it on Thee Oh Sees record, they've all blended into one for me now)

Lonelady rightly high (one of the most underrated records of the year if you ask me, certainly my most listened to), Girl Band high.

Panda Bear (which grew on me so much over the year), GNOD, Rival Consoles, Carter Tutti Void, pinkshinyultrablast, Wire, Follakzoid all make top 50

I'll turn a blind eye to that awful Slaves record making it and Teeth of The Sea being about 50 places too low. And the Oneohtrix records being about 70 places too low.

Nice to see Spectres make it. Probably the best alt-rock/ shoegaze record I heard this year.

The best thing about these lists is the debate afterwards. I actually find I probably get more from the ensuing discussions than the lists themselves.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Oh dear. Hopefully this thread will provide some inspiration.

Well, I hope so, but I think I have a more fundamental issue in that (1) I'm much less willing than before to put up with any filler, and (2) I crave variety more now than I used to. As a result, my preference is to, say, listen to a Gideon Coe show than listen to a whole album by a single artist. This is, I think, as a result of changing the way in which I listen to music - when I had more time, it was album-based and a good track heard was the gateway to trying an album. Now I hear a good track, I buy the good track, but I'm not so bothered about hearing the album. I'm sure I can come up with five albums though, but I'm officially now more of a "Best tracks" man.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, I hope so, but I think I have a more fundamental issue in that (1) I'm much less willing than before to put up with any filler, and (2) I crave variety more now than I used to. As a result, my preference is to, say, listen to a Gideon Coe show than listen to a whole album by a single artist. This is, I think, as a result of changing the way in which I listen to music - when I had more time, it was album-based and a good track heard was the gateway to trying an album. Now I hear a good track, I buy the good track, but I'm not so bothered about hearing the album. I'm sure I can come up with five albums though, but I'm officially now more of a "Best tracks" man.

I think having the time makes a difference. I'm very lucky that I can listen to music whilst I work. I've done three albums today already. If I didn't have the time maybe I wouldn't persevere with the more challenging stuff as much.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This, and HT's reply, just goes to show that it's when/where/how you listen to music -- which I suspect is becoming more diverse -- that is increasingly influencing our tastes. My problem with the radio is all the jingles, fillers and -- in many cases, but not with Marc Riley -- the chat that intrudes upon listening to music. Like HT, I get the time to listen to music while working for some of the time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I often find music distracting when I work even though I too can play it in work time. The better - or more diverting - it is, the more I concentrate on the music and the less I concentrate on work.

Electronica and techno are often good work styles for me but even then, while I can play the Pan-pot or Public Service Broadcasting albums and work through the Zarelli ft Leonard Nimoy was was too distracting because of his voice and the story. Anything with clever lyrics or that is too "out there" can't go on at work time at all.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Health - Death Magic

Not a bad record but following an album as unique and brilliant as 'Get Color' was always going to be tough. Add a break of 6 years and a softening of some of the edges that made that album so special. Still a frighteningly good live band.

would LOVE to see Health live, just for stonefist.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I often find music distracting when I work even though I too can play it in work time. The better - or more diverting - it is, the more I concentrate on the music and the less I concentrate on work.

Electronica and techno are often good work styles for me but even then, while I can play the Pan-pot or Public Service Broadcasting albums and work through the Zarelli ft Leonard Nimoy was was too distracting because of his voice and the story. Anything with clever lyrics or that is too "out there" can't go on at work time at all.

A significant minority of my work involves reading and, when that's the case, my rule is no lyrics, which is why a lot of what I listen to is post-rock, electronica and out-there jazz (with a bit of classical thrown in)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What techno do you listen to? Could do with some tips; I'm well out of touch at the moment although I have made a note of the Berlin duo you mentioned a week ago. Incidentally I see there name splattered around town a lot now; they have a Watergate connection.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What techno do you listen to? Could do with some tips; I'm well out of touch at the moment although I have made a note of the Berlin duo you mentioned a week ago. Incidentally I see there name splattered around town a lot now; they have a Watergate connection.

Lots of old stuff. Jeff Mills and Carl Craig. Blake Baxter is consistently good IMO.

The album Minimal Techno Afterhours by Minimal Techno is another favourite but even that's five years old now. Shades by Mark Romboy was a good catch up of his stuff with loads of remixes on. The Spotify version is long enough to keep me going through a whole morning's testing.

In terms of new stuff this year I've got more in to the electronica side of things - F--- Buttons, PSB, Zarelli. I'm always a good way behind on decent techno because I'm too old to go clubbing now :lolol:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Oh, FFS! Everytime I try to load a link/picture, the page freezes permanently, and I have to log out!

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In terms of new stuff this year I've got more in to the electronica side of things - F--- Buttons, PSB, Zarelli. I'm always a good way behind on decent techno because I'm too old to go clubbing now :lolol:

I was too old to go clubbing then, but make a point of going to see F B whenever they're playing.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm a bit surprised the new Braids one 'Deep In The Iris' didn't get a bit more love, 9 intelligent, catchy slabs of experimental electro-pop.

And 'Miniskirt' gives EMA a run for her money in the angry young woman stakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0knjy5l62hk

Not totally representative of the album though. There's some lovely stuff on there as well.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Favourite gig anyone? Out of 36 have to say mine was Hot Chip at Heimathafen. One of those wonderful moments when the crowd, venue and band all play their part and align for a memorable night.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Favourite gig anyone? Out of 36 have to say mine was Hot Chip at Heimathafen. One of those wonderful moments when the crowd, venue and band all play their part and align for a memorable night.

I was going to do a list and then I realised it's Richard Dawson twice (not sure I could pick between the two) and by some distance as well.

I have missed a lot of the bigger shows for whatever reason this year. 2 of my own shows would be in my top 10, which is a nice development.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was going to do a list and then I realised it's Richard Dawson twice (not sure I could pick between the two) and by some distance as well.

I have missed a lot of the bigger shows for whatever reason this year. 2 of my own shows would be in my top 10, which is a nice development.

You're not the only one banging on about Richard Dawson. I'm very keen for him to come back here.
I have also banged on about the Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival, but will do so again as gig (if a festival counts as a gig) of the year has been raised.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Super Furries, the day after the disastrous General Election.

God, it was good to have them back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here