Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Album of the Year 2015 Thread ***

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really pleased to see Julia Holter featuring heavily. Artist of the decade to date for me, it's about time the mainstream started waking up to her immense talent. How she's still playing venues of The Komedia's size 4 great albums into her career is completely beyond me.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm struggling to come up with that much this year - doesn't seem like a vintage year. I think I'm getting old: Ezra Furman just seems really average, same for Tame Impala. Used to love GYBE, but can't be bothered now; Wolf Alice is just run-of-the-mill indie; never liked Joanna Newsom - songs are too long and too dull, annoying lyrics. I'm finding it harder to appreciate whole albums and just tucking into great individual tracks - I blame Apple.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ty Segall's live album for me: utterly pointless. And I had Manipulator down as one of last year's best albums.

In these days where if you look hard enough you can find a good live recording of pretty much any artist and download it 'legally' (well as legal as a bootleg ever was) and free, within 10 minutes, the live album is effectively dead. With a few notable exceptions they were only generally cash ins or contractual obligations anyway.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In these days where if you look hard enough you can find a good live recording of pretty much any artist and download it 'legally' (well as legal as a bootleg ever was) and free, within 10 minutes, the live album is effectively dead. With a few notable exceptions they were only generally cash ins or contractual obligations anyway.

Ty Segall + contractual obligations! They're trying to eke more out of him? Thanks for the info on this.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wolf Alice is just run-of-the-mill indie.

I really respect Wolf Alice for the way they've built up their fanbase through relentless touring but I have to agree, it's just grunge for a new generation.

However, Wolf Alice fans out there should check out Black Honey, a band from Brighton who mine the same sort of influence. They are getting some pretty serious national attention, most likely Brighton act to 'do a Royal Blood' at the moment imo.

https://soundcloud.com/blackhoneyuk/bloodlustdemo

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ty Segall + contractual obligations! They're trying to eke more out of him? Thanks for the info on this.

LOL Yeah, perhaps not the most suitable example. There's a good site out there, that I've lost for this type of thing. I'll check it out when I get home and post a link. I found it 5 or 6 years ago when I was addicted to Deerhunter boots.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, it's that time of the year again and Rough Trade have just released their top 100.

1. Bjork – Vulnicura
2. Father John Misty – I Love You, Honeybear
3. Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
4. Ezra Furman – Perpetual Motion People
5. Max Richter – From Sleep
6. Wolf Alice – My Love Is Cool
7. Kamasi Washington – The Epic
8. Royal Headache – High
9. Romare – Projections
10. Jamie XX – In Colour

I have made 60 plus purchases so far this year (40 plus gigs as well), it's been a bumper year for me with some memorable albums and shows. I have 4 of their top 10. I couldn't find the text version of their top 100 so if someone can paste it I'll be appreciative.

I'll get the "it's early, there's still 6 weeks of the year to go" and the "it's just a marketing ploy for Xmas" out the way so we can all concentrate on the task at hand.

Like last time I'm going to just give my top 5 otherwise I feel its more just a list of what I've listened to as opposed to the true highlights of my year.

I've just had a quick look at the whole Top 100 list. John Grant at 11 which I think is about right. However, Django Django at number SEVENTEEN? Don't get me wrong. I like them and all their various influences (Beta Band, The Aliens etc) but, to me. Born Under Saturn sounded exactly like their debut. No new ground at all. Good if you like Django Django, else large portions of M'eh. Whereas Mbongwana Star sounds like nothing else ever made. Any others on the long list that just look like they're in totally the wrong place? Or is it just me?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've just had a quick look at the whole Top 100 list. John Grant at 11 which I think is about right. However, Django Django at number SEVENTEEN? Don't get me wrong. I like them and all their various influences (Beta Band, The Aliens etc) but, to me. Born Under Saturn sounded exactly like their debut. No new ground at all. Good if you like Django Django, else large portions of M'eh. Whereas Mbongwana Star sounds like nothing else ever made. Any others on the long list that just look like they're in totally the wrong place? Or is it just me?

I didn't think much of it last year and I don't think much of it this year. Even for Rough Trade there's a commercial concern that it has to feature stuff that is actually going to sell, rather than the best stuff per se. There's four records in the Rough Trade Top Ten that I don't hate but are remarkably middle of the road for a shop that likes to pride itself on being edgy. I reckon they think if they stick Bjork in at 1, no one will notice.

Though some print magazine/ website polls seem to be pretty heavily influenced by which label took out the most advertising in that mag for that year. Wire & Quietus are the two I'd pay most attention to.

And yes that Mbongwana Star album is brilliant.

EDIT: Just saw Palma Violets at 20 :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: Think they must have a load of them left in the stockroom.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Resident has Algiers at number one. Haven't seen that crop up on here much:

http://www.resident-music.com

Algiers is a clever record to have at number one - likely to have broad appeal and didn't really take off like everyone thought it would. And it's good.

That's a much better list - Holter , Blanck Mass, Mbongwa Star rightly top ten (I'll take their word for it on Thee Oh Sees record, they've all blended into one for me now)

Lonelady rightly high (one of the most underrated records of the year if you ask me, certainly my most listened to), Girl Band high.

Panda Bear (which grew on me so much over the year), GNOD, Rival Consoles, Carter Tutti Void, pinkshinyultrablast, Wire, Follakzoid all make top 50

I'll turn a blind eye to that awful Slaves record making it and Teeth of The Sea being about 50 places too low. And the Oneohtrix records being about 70 places too low.

Nice to see Spectres make it. Probably the best alt-rock/ shoegaze record I heard this year.

Last edited:

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
This was a great year for new music. If I had to pick a top 10 (and believe me, I could do a top 50), they would be:

The Mountain Goats - Beat The Champ
And So I Watch You From Afar - Heirs
Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy
Lil Dicky - Professional Rapper
Chon - Grow
Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion (seriously this record is so goddamn catchy and awesome)
Desaparecidos - Payola
Fidlar - Too
Hop Along - Painted Shut
Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool?

EDIT: There were a few more that I'd feel remiss if I didn't include:

Beach Slang - The Things We Do To Find People Who Feel Like Us
Battles - La Di Da Di
Runaway Brother - Mother
Pet Symmetry - Pets Hounds
Ryan Adams - 1989

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Now need to consider 2015 biggest let down...

Health - Death Magic

Not a bad record but following an album as unique and brilliant as 'Get Color' was always going to be tough. Add a break of 6 years and a softening of some of the edges that made that album so special. Still a frighteningly good live band.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I usually love adding to these threads with my very own top ten but will have to take a back seat and for once take in recommendations rather than giving them out.

I've only bought 10 albums this year rather than the usual 60+ and looking at my I Tunes I've haven't listened to one more than 5 times all except for Hot Chip so by default and the fact it's a very good album thats my number 1 for 2016.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I usually love adding to these threads with my very own top ten but will have to take a back seat and for once take in recommendations rather than giving them out.

I've only bought 10 albums this year rather than the usual 60+ and looking at my I Tunes I've haven't listened to one more than 5 times all except for Hot Chip so by default and the fact it's a very good album thats my number 1 for 2016.

Not a bad choice! Love their slightly new sound and especially their new live set up. Some absolute corkers on the album as well, Huarache Lights and Dark Night esp

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm struggling to come up with that much this year - doesn't seem like a vintage year. I think I'm getting old: Ezra Furman just seems really average, same for Tame Impala. Used to love GYBE, but can't be bothered now; Wolf Alice is just run-of-the-mill indie; never liked Joanna Newsom - songs are too long and too dull, annoying lyrics. I'm finding it harder to appreciate whole albums and just tucking into great individual tracks - I blame Apple.

Oh dear. Hopefully this thread will provide some inspiration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here