Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Knowing what we do about TB and GP, a couple of questions:

Do we believe that Tony has ever refused to try to get a player that Potter wants?

Potter has been completely consistent in saying that the 'mythical 20-goal-a-season striker' may not be the answer, if he even exists. Does anyone think he isn't being honest with us?

No and no.

We aren’t ever getting a 20 goal striker - unless we uncover some kind of Vardy-type once in a lifetime player. We need a couple that get 10-15 each, and far more from midfield.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why is a striker always mythical to us, was Danny Ings a myth to Saints no he scored shed loads of goals. The term Mythical is used because some don’t ever want to find fault or even question the club. We all appreciate TB that’s a given yet our transfer policy’s are a little odd. Our biggest spend Webster apart have been mistakes with the fees spent on the DJ and AJ could of all gone on one well sought goal scorer just like a Danny Ings.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Knowing what we do about TB and GP, a couple of questions:

Do we believe that Tony has ever refused to try to get a player that Potter wants?

Potter has been completely consistent in saying that the 'mythical 20-goal-a-season striker' may not be the answer, if he even exists. Does anyone think he isn't being honest with us?

I mentioned Ryan Christie earlier, for his exquisite through ball, he also got two other assists in the game. He is out of contract in January, is stalling on a new deal at Celtic as he fancies a move to the EPL, if we were going after anyone at Celtic, i'd much rather it was him, the quality and vision of his passing wont change in a better league, unfortunately the only interest i've seen is from Palace.
Edouard, as i said previously, is different to what we've got, but imho not better and he will not come close to the amount of goals he has scored at Celtic. Connolly, Maupay, Andone Welbeck and Zeqiri will all score goals if the service is better in my opinion and although it can't be proved, i reckon any of them would have got a hat-trick in that Celtic team today, Kyogo who did, had 7 (seven) very good opportunities.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why is a striker always mythical to us, was Danny Ings a myth to Saints no he scored shed loads of goals. The term Mythical is used because some don’t ever want to find fault or even question the club. We all appreciate TB that’s a given yet our transfer policy’s are a little odd. Our biggest spend Webster apart have been mistakes with the fees spent on the DJ and AJ could of all gone on one well sought goal scorer just like a Danny Ings.

I’ve only seen ‘mythical’ used in relation to a 20 goal a season striker……..which is fair enough as it’s extremely unlikely we’ll sign, or ever have one. Hardly any other teams have them either.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I mentioned Ryan Christie earlier, for his exquisite through ball, he also got two other assists in the game. He is out of contract in January, is stalling on a new deal at Celtic as he fancies a move to the EPL, if we were going after anyone at Celtic, i'd much rather it was him, the quality and vision of his passing wont change in a better league, unfortunately the only interest i've seen is from Palace.
Edouard, as i said previously, is different to what we've got, but imho not better and he will not come close to the amount of goals he has scored at Celtic. Connolly, Maupay, Andone Welbeck and Zeqiri will all score goals if the service is better in my opinion and although it can't be proved, i reckon any of them would have got a hat-trick in that Celtic team today, Kyogo who did, had 7 (seven) very good opportunities.
Personally think Edouard is as close to a Murray type as we are ever going to get plays of the shoulder, can hold the ball up well he doesn’t get bullied and has some pace about him not that Glenn did :) anyway just an opinion like.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve only seen ‘mythical’ used in relation to a 20 goal a season striker……..which is fair enough as it’s extremely unlikely we’ll sign, or ever have one. Hardly any other teams have them either.
It’s not about the twenty goals it’s about shorting the odds that what your buying has the likely hood of doing the business. Players like Calum Wilson will get you goals for an example, he won’t have any sell on but gives Newcastle a few years and probable survival to find another forward just as good or better.

No disrespect to Swiss Andy for another example are we doing him or us any favours by playing a striker at wing back because we don’t have wing back cover? I would prefer he developed as a striker tbh.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not about the twenty goals it’s about shorting the odds that what your buying has the likely hood of doing the business. Players like Calum Wilson will get you goals for an example, he won’t have any sell on but gives Newcastle a few years and probable survival to find another forward just as good or better.

No disrespect to Swiss Andy for another example are we doing him or us any favours by playing a striker at wing back because we don’t have wing back cover? I would prefer he developed as a striker tbh.

Yep….we need someone who’s going to contribute double figures………which is about the difference for us between finishing 10th and 15th or lower (all other things being equal)

mike1901

May 12, 2017
Yep….we need someone who’s going to contribute double figures………which is about the difference for us between finishing 10th and 15th or lower (all other things being equal)

All three of the strikers we have been linked with have potential, Benfica want £30 mil for Nunez and he’s injured and probably won’t come any way, so we are left with Edouard and the lad from Arsenal, the Arsenal lad is £20 mil could be more , we did screw them over with Ben after all, so they may try to recoup more. If it’s about money then it should be Edouard, I don’t think he’s as bad as people think, with all the players gone and now injured we need players in and quick .

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
All three of the strikers we have been linked with have potential, Benfica want £30 mil for Nunez and he’s injured and probably won’t come any way, so we are left with Edouard and the lad from Arsenal, the Arsenal lad is £20 mil could be more , we did screw them over with Ben after all, so they may try to recoup more. If it’s about money then it should be Edouard, I don’t think he’s as bad as people think, with all the players gone and now injured we need players in and quick .

Edouard is now injured too.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Danny Ings had scored the following amount of goals before his one 20+ goal season with saints. He was 100% a gamble by them based on injury record and game time (hence a loan first). He was constantly injured and goals weren't guaranteed.

14/15 - 11
15/16 - 2
16/17 - 0
17/18 - 1
18/19 (loan to saints) 7

He then scored 22 (19/20) and 12 last season

So that's one 20+ season.

If there us a guaranteed 20+ striker in the PL they are NOT coming to Brighton and Hove Albion.

We are very much in the market for a gamble. An educated gamble, but a gamble.

A much more sensible logic is to not pin the hopes on one player and see where we can improve goals all round the team.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Danny Ings had scored the following amount of goals before his one 20+ goal season with saints. He was 100% a gamble by them based on injury record and game time (hence a loan first). He was constantly injured and goals weren't guaranteed.

14/15 - 11
15/16 - 2
16/17 - 0
17/18 - 1
18/19 (loan to saints) 7

If there us a guaranteed 20+ striker in the PL they are NOT coming to Brighton and Hove Albion.

A much more sensible logic is to not pin the hopes on one player and see where we can improve goals all round the team.

Although I agree with your point, Danny Ings is a great striker who averages a goal every 2.2 games throughout his career.

Only injuries have stopped him hitting 20 goals a season more often.

This is the type of gamble we might need to take but maybe Welbeck is as much of a risk as we are willing to take?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Although I agree with your point, Danny Ings is a great striker who averages a goal every 2.2 games throughout his career.

Only injuries have stopped him hitting 20 goals a season more often.

This is the type of gamble we might need to take.

It's a bit of a myth about Ings. Excellent striker now buy extremely hit or miss before.

He had a breakout season in the championship where he scored 21 goals. Before that he hadn't scored more than 3 in a season at championship level. Best before that was 7 in league one.

He then went on that run I mentioned(14 goals over 4 seasons) previously before saints signed him

Ultimately, before saints got him he had scored 52 goals in 172 games with 21 of those I'm one season in the championship 5 years prior.

If we signed a player with that record people would flip:lolol:

I appreciate it was caused by injuries but many pointing to Ings as a good example is very much being wise with hindsight.

I completely agree on Welbeck being that risk. When it clicks, he should be at a better team than us.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003

14/15 - 11
15/16 - 2
16/17 - 0
17/18 - 1
18/19 (loan to saints) 7

Your stats are pretty selective. He was Championship Player of the Season in 13/14 with 22 goals. Then went into the Premier League with Burnley where he scored 11 goals in his first season, before moving to Liverpool - where opportunities were scarce, and he then did his ACL in October which put him out for the season.

He only started playing regularly again when he moved back to Southampton (originally on loan, so not a gamble at all), and we know where that's gone since he signed permanently.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Your stats are pretty selective. He was Championship Player of the Season in 13/14 with 22 goals. Then went into the Premier League with Burnley where he scored 11 goals in his first season, before moving to Liverpool - where opportunities were scarce, and he then did his ACL in October which put him out for the season.

He only started playing regularly again when he moved back to Southampton (originally on loan, so not a gamble at all), and we know where that's gone since he signed permanently.

I think the 4 seasons prior is a good window but fair enough. Either way see my second post. I referenced his one good season in the championship from 7 years ago.
He has 93 goals in 263 overall
55 goals in 140 pl games including the last 2 years (34 goals).

If we went to sign someone who has been injured for 4 seasons but scored 11 PL goals 5 years earlier and had been championship top scorer a year before that, would we be saying "Yes! That's our guy. That's the guaranteed goals we are after"

Anyone who looked at Danny Ings before he moved to Soton and said they knew it was a guaranteed success is lying.

The word 'gamble' is being used as people are using ings as a reference for the type of player we should sign. As you say, they got him on loan to remove that gamble element. Get him and see if he will score then decide. As it happens he has flourished one season and scored 12 the next.

Last edited:

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I think the 4 seasons prior is a good window but fair enough. Either way see my second post. I referenced his one good season in the championship from 7 years ago.
He has 93 goals in 263 overall
55 goals in 140 pl games including the last 2 years (34 goals).

If we went to sign someone who has been injured for 4 seasons but scored 11 PL goals 5 years earlier and had been championship top scorer a year before that, would we be saying "Yes! That's our guy. That's the guaranteed goals we are after"

Anyone who looked at Danny Ings before he moved to Soton and said they knew it was a guaranteed success is lying.

The word 'gamble' is being used as people are using ings as a reference for the type of player we should sign. As you say, they got him on loan to remove that gamble element. Get him and see if he will score then decide. As it happens he has flourished one season and scored 12 the next.

That's a fair shout - but I have to say if we'd have picked him up, I'd have been pretty happy - given his past success, and Liverpool liking enough to have signed him when they did.

Personally, I don't think we need a 20-goal striker - we need someone quick and strong, who scares defences and gives our other attacking players more space. We are so much better as a team when Welbeck is fully fit and fighting up front - he takes defenders away from Maupay and Trossard, who then get more time and space.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's a fair shout - but I have to say if we'd have picked him up, I'd have been pretty happy - given his past success, and Liverpool liking enough to have signed him when they did.

Personally, I don't think we need a 20-goal striker - we need someone quick and strong, who scares defences and gives our other attacking players more space. We are so much better as a team when Welbeck is fully fit and fighting up front - he takes defenders away from Maupay and Trossard, who then get more time and space.

Yep. I'd agree with all of that. I personally REALLY like Chris Wood but that doesn't add the pace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here