Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sounds about right. I didn't say that Castles had got anything from the Albion, but a known associate of his likes to pass himself off as an Albion insider, on the strength of having done a (very) little media work for Tony Bloom.

[Tweet]1423729785545625602[/Tweet]

[Tweet]1423736119699591170[/Tweet]

???

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s difficult to argue with that tbh, but when you consider the relative outlay for Andone and Welbeck vs a large wedge of the BW cash…. Put it this way: would you sanction 20 million plus on an out of form striker currently playing for a fading Celtic ? And if he was called Angus McClean for example, would our lack of sexy flair subconscious bias be castigating the club for even thinking about it…??

Think about it now.

It’s not really that exciting really is it?

I’d prefer to work with the devil I know… enter Florin.
Andone only scored two in a shite Turkish league a league where a Palace flop scored 40 goals. If we are pinning our hopes on him then we really do have a problem. The two recent friendlies he was awful Lallana spent half the time telling him where to be :shrug:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I certainly don’t think we’ll be “doomed” if we don’t sign a new striker. I am however reminded about the quote re insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. For me, it’s a lot to ask of Maupay and I can see us struggling again if we don’t recruit a forward. Out of interest, would you consider Nunez (circa €35m) or Abraham (£40M) worth the financial risk with their higher price tag?

Abraham yes, because he has a proven track record of scoring goals in the Premier League - 21 for Chelsea in 58 appearances, 37 of them starts. But his wages are beyond us and he wouldn't come anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I certainly don’t think we’ll be “doomed” if we don’t sign a new striker. I am however reminded about the quote re insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. For me, it’s a lot to ask of Maupay and I can see us struggling again if we don’t recruit a forward. Out of interest, would you consider Nunez (circa €35m) or Abraham (£40M) worth the financial risk with their higher price tag?

It's not always a case of doing the same thing over and over agin. A squad that (largely) stays together can improve simply because of that greater cohesion and understanding - and I base my optimism for this season on a little bit of that happening.
FWIW, I think Nunez might have been a decent shout a year ago, but the price being asked for now isn't worth the punt. Better than Edouard, I think - maybe another one to come back fr at half the price in January if they still want rid and haven't found a buyer. Abraham I've never been overwhelmed with personally, but mainly I think he's suffering from the Chelsea disease - they've got a lot of young players they've got no use for and want to get rid, and haven't yert realised that this means they don't attract Abramovich pocket-money sized money - and more importantly, those young players on Chelsea wages think the should command at least that amount wherever they go to next. Wrong! You might be worth £X a week to Chelsea - but only 50 or 60% of that outside of Chelsea (or Citeh, United and a few in Europe) - dilemna! Do I sit out my contract on £X a week at Chelsea, or do I take a pay cut to actually play? Tariq - yes I will - Abraham? Not so sure (his famiy are in desperate need of a million pounds, allegedly).
Personally, I'd give Abrahams a miss.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[Tweet]1423729785545625602[/Tweet]

[Tweet]1423736119699591170[/Tweet]

???

I’ve heard we quite often look up ex employees who used to make graphics and videos at the club to pass on this sort of transfer window - so I’m in.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's not always a case of doing the same thing over and over agin. A squad that (largely) stays together can improve simply because of that greater cohesion and understanding - and I base my optimism for this season on a little bit of that happening.
FWIW, I think Nunez might have been a decent shout a year ago, but the price being asked for now isn't worth the punt. Better than Edouard, I think - maybe another one to come back fr at half the price in January if they still want rid and haven't found a buyer. Abraham I've never been overwhelmed with personally, but mainly I think he's suffering from the Chelsea disease - they've got a lot of young players they've got no use for and want to get rid, and haven't yert realised that this means they don't attract Abramovich pocket-money sized money - and more importantly, those young players on Chelsea wages think the should command at least that amount wherever they go to next. Wrong! You might be worth £X a week to Chelsea - but only 50 or 60% of that outside of Chelsea (or Citeh, United and a few in Europe) - dilemna! Do I sit out my contract on £X a week at Chelsea, or do I take a pay cut to actually play? Tariq - yes I will - Abraham? Not so sure (his famiy are in desperate need of a million pounds, allegedly).
Personally, I'd give Abrahams a miss.

I'd give Tammy a miss too. Scored a few goals granted, but barely any with a clean shot or header among them. Ball bounces in off his neck, arse, shins, ankles and while that has served him well, I think he's only a game away from a 6 goal season, not the 15 we'd want from his premium price tag.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is rather patronising to say that most on this board know nothing. Apart from the raucous few who DEMAND that we sign a 20 goals a season striker NOW, and that we should have been doing that for the the last EIGHT transfer windows and anyone who doesn't REALISE this is an IDIOT, a lot on here know very well that recruiting players is a complex business.

What we don't know is what the recruitment team are actually doing, who they're watching, and what stage (if any) any talks or negotiations may have reached. And that's how it should be, of course. What we can do (and this is why we have websites like NSC) is speculate and discuss in an intelligent way who we would like our club to sign (or not sign). This (apart from the raucous few who DEMAND .......) is a very good and interesting thread, thank you.

Yes, and Maupay had an outstanding record in the Championship, which I and others rate as comparable to Edouard's record. Connolly, for all he's lost his way at the moment, had a comparably outstanding record as a young player - If he played for more sexy teams than Brighton and Ireland youth teams he would be out of our price range too! Whatever, I don't think Edouard's rubbish - I just don't think he's any better than what we've got. Which, after all, is the whole point of buying in a player for an expensive transfer fee.

You are contradicting yourself a little bit here I think. Whilst explaining how the recruitment team work, you don’t ‘think’ he is any better……..but have you performed the same excruciatingly detailed analysis of every minute he’s played that our recruitment and analysis team will have done ? Have you compared that analysis with a multitude of other strikers from literally every major league globally, plus against those we already have, and how he would fit into Potter’s system ? The recruitment team will have done…..so if we do go ahead, it’ll be because they think he IS better……..and decent value……and has potential (if none of these can be demonstrated, Barber won’t sign the cheque)

They might **** it up, they might be wrong, he might turn out to be a dud…..but the decision will be based on sound fundamentals.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I’ve heard we quite often look up ex employees who used to make graphics and videos at the club to pass on this sort of transfer window - so I’m in.

Even BLADDERSSAUCES in its HAYDAY had more followers than this CHARNCER !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
FWIW I have seen quite a few games that Edouard has played for Celtic, and when motivated think he could do a better job than Maupay, better finisher, pace, in the air and physical presence.

I agree, though I also think the two together could work as well. A bit of extra pace up front would make all of our attackers look better imho.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'd give Tammy a miss too. Scored a few goals granted, but barely any with a clean shot or header among them. Ball bounces in off his neck, arse, shins, ankles and while that has served him well, I think he's only a game away from a 6 goal season, not the 15 we'd want from his premium price tag.

Me too.

Edouard is probably on around £30k per week where as Tammy is surely on £80k+. Both would except significant salary increases with a move. One costs half the price of the other. I know where my money would go if I was looking for a young player to provide competition to Maupay.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There aren't that many prolific strikers around anyway. Successful signings are in the minority. I can understand the club's caution.

I wish we'd put more balls into no man's land in front of the 'keeper rather than persist with the pass it in plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here