Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Very good post, and yes that’s where the rub could lie with regard to this one. Obviously top level strikers start at 20 million these days - so I guess unearthing a gem for 5 million is like looking for a signed Beatles LP in a charity shop. Yet I still can’t help looking… I guess that’s just who I am. I reckon we could get him on the cheap in January, especially if his form continues to wane… although this strategy carries obvious risks.

Ultimately if he joins, I hope he displays the correct attitude throughout his days with us and (yes) tries. That’s my major worry tbh, not that it’s my money but I do worry re the recent reports regarding his ‘effort’ which (that said) might be wide of the mark I accept.

For some reason, I can’t quite fathom, I’m just not that excited or bothered either way.

His current form is irrelevant. He knows he is going. Player form almost always dips once the exit door is in sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If he does sign, I personally wouldnt judge him on whether he scores 15 goals etc...... Just effort, overall improvement on XG or how he compliments the team.

Maybe a crap example, but Old Emile Heskey was never a prolific scorer, but whenever he played the teams he played for often did better as did his strike partners.

If Edouard got 5 goals but our XG improved, maybe Maupay improved along side him etc and we end up middle/top half it will be a success.

The fear with Edouard is a repeat of what appears his present attitude at Celtic, it's written he's not sure about a move to us and has big salary demands. Nowt wrong with being ambitious, or wanting to go further up the pyramid, but it looks like he's not arsed at all at Celtic anymore and is angling for the move.

So worst case is he flops and we're stuck with him.
Best case, he's successfull, scores a few but then will want out at the first flash of skirt higher up the tree :shrug:

Yup. Lots of strikers really dont have to score themselves, they are valuable anyway. Firmino is a good current example. Bobby Zamora in Fulham is another good one - he started 30+ games in 08/09 and only scored two goals but still helped Fulham to a 7th place. Whether Edouard would fit in the same category... not sure. I'm not a big fan of this player but definitely willing to change my mind if he signs and performs well.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yup. Lots of strikers really dont have to score themselves, they are valuable anyway. Firmino is a good current example. Bobby Zamora in Fulham is another good one - he started 30+ games in 08/09 and only scored two goals but still helped Fulham to a 7th place. Whether Edouard would fit in the same category... not sure. I'm not a big fan of this player but definitely willing to change my mind if he signs and performs well.

I agree Swanny

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Very good post, and yes that’s where the rub could lie with regard to this one. Obviously top level strikers start at 20 million these days - so I guess unearthing a gem for 5 million is like looking for a signed Beatles LP in a charity shop. Yet I still can’t help looking… I guess that’s just who I am. I reckon we could get him on the cheap in January, especially if his form continues to wane… although this strategy carries obvious risks.

Ultimately if he joins, I hope he displays the correct attitude throughout his days with us and (yes) tries. That’s my major worry tbh, not that it’s my money but I do worry re the recent reports regarding his ‘effort’ which (that said) might be wide of the mark I accept.

For some reason, I can’t quite fathom, I’m just not that excited or bothered either way.

Exactly this, not really sure about Edouard's character or ability at this level, but that said we need other options up front. Welbeck will likely get injuries, Maupay is inconsistent, who knows what Andone will bring to the party.

Of the 3 we've been more strongly linked to in the recent past, Edouard, Boulaye Dia and Nunez. From what i've observed, I'd go Nunez, Edouard, Dia in that order which is also the current price order, but I'd much prefer if we changed policy and tried to find a new Murray type--- an older head whose been there.

wouldnt have minded if we had moved for the out of favour Josh King before he went to Watford, or Solomon Rondon or any number of more experienced striking pro's moving toward the twilight of their careers rather than another moneyball gamble who is unproven at this level and may just as easy sink as swim.

We need goals not the potential of them one day.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Exactly this, not really sure about Edouard's character or ability at this level, but that said we need other options up front. Welbeck will likely get injuries, Maupay is inconsistent, who knows what Andone will bring to the party.

Of the 3 we've been more strongly linked to in the recent past, Edouard, Boulaye Dia and Nunez. From what i've observed, I'd go Nunez, Edouard, Dia in that order which is also the current price order, but I'd much prefer if we changed policy and tried to find a new Murray type--- an older head whose been there.

wouldnt have minded if we had moved for the out of favour Josh King before he went to Watford, or Solomon Rondon or any number of more experienced striking pro's moving toward the twilight of their careers rather than another moneyball gamble who is unproven at this level and may just as easy sink as swim.

We need goals not the potential of them one day.

Precisely - brilliant post.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Was it a BS press article by a lazy journalist who has realised Stains have lost their best striker and wrote a story with zero substance?

That did strike me as a distinct possibility

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Odsonne will go to whoever pays the most wages and add ons. I doubt that will be us.

Why do Celtic keep playing him if he is to be sold? 1 injury away from any move falling through.

Madness by Celtic if they are to sell him. If he picks up an injury this weekend they will likely lose a possible transfer fee of £20m.

Surprised they are not doing what Blackburn are doing with Adam Armstrong.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do Celtic keep playing him if he is to be sold? 1 injury away from any move falling through.

Madness by Celtic if they are to sell him. If he picks up an injury this weekend they will likely lose a possible transfer fee of £20m.

Surprised they are not doing what Blackburn are doing with Adam Armstrong.
Playing against Rangers right now on Sky Sports last season game obviously but he does look decent plays off the shoulder like Muzza yet a lot quicker and has decent feet and a real unit, I like him for £20m looks a steal.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Mitouma. Currently won’t get a WP I believe.
We don’t want to be getting in to a bidding with Saints really. Feels like either we don’t really want Édouard or we’ve faffed a bit too much (as usual when it comes to forwards).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here