'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been off work today and have binged through it.

Absolutely awesome throw back tv with some clever twists and excellent casting.

TV/Film snobs will sneer at the obvious Spielberg influence - think ET v Super 8 - but otherwise it's been a gem of a find and luckily more or less green lit for a new series.

Yes, saw the last episode at the weekend and was pleased that the series fulfilled all its initial promise. There was some good acting (Winona aside): the girl playing Eleven (who's British incidentally) was extraordinarily good.

You're right that there's a lot of Spielberg reference but there's also a hint of Twin Peaks: both great influences to have.

Is there definitely going to be another series? Part of me wants one, part of me wants that to be the end. It was certainly one of the best things I've seen this year (and it's been a good year for telly)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I know it's not ecveryone's cup of tea but anyone seen Preacher or Wynnona Earp. Preacher is just brilliant and Wynonna Earp is fun.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yes, saw the last episode at the weekend and was pleased that the series fulfilled all its initial promise. There was some good acting (Winona aside): the girl playing Eleven (who's British incidentally) was extraordinarily good.

You're right that there's a lot of Spielberg reference but there's also a hint of Twin Peaks: both great influences to have.

Is there definitely going to be another series? Part of me wants one, part of me wants that to be the end. It was certainly one of the best things I've seen this year (and it's been a good year for telly)

Classic 'network' spiel from Netflix executives suggest yes along with a big yes from the Duffer Brothers who incidentally want to work with the same cast. I would like to see it maybe go down the True Detective route and have each series stand alone with a new cast with perhaps a small reference to some sort of Myth arc a la X Files along the way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From another recommendation I've just watched the first episode of Spotless on Netflix.
It seems pretty good, certainly good enough to see if it moves away from it's current formulaic set up.

I'll certainly be giving it a decent chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm now halfway through NetFlix's Spotless.

I'm going to keep with the recommendation, with reservations.
It's still a little cliched, with a liberal sprinkling of over egging, but it's not without some 'charm'.
Helped along by the fact it's British.

There's enough going on to make me wonder about the conclusion, which I guess is half the battle.
Give it a go, you're probably better placed to watch than me after I'd had it given a 'must see, binge watch' recommendation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm now halfway through NetFlix's Spotless.

I'm going to keep with the recommendation, with reservations.
It's still a little cliched, with a liberal sprinkling of over egging, but it's not without some 'charm'.
Helped along by the fact it's British.

A littled cliched? I thought it was formulaic, badly scripted, badly acted and totally implausible

I gave up after first episode - the first Netflix dud

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A littled cliched? I thought it was formulaic, badly scripted, badly acted and totally implausible

I gave up after first episode - the first Netflix dud

Yeah that's fair enough.

As said I was given the big sell so went with it for longer.
Which in turn got me a little too involved.

Now, just past halfway, in one episode it's leaped over more sharks than ever swam off Amity Island.
I'll watch it through but after a particular scene in the police station it's almost become a comedy.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Finished Stranger Things and loved it.

About to start season 3 of Turn..... high quality historical drama

Anyone got any opinions about Dark Matter?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As there's a fair few NetFlix officiandos on here, I wonder if someone can help me get my head around a particular quandary.
Sadly all this is going prove is just how completely out of touch I am with the 21st century, apologies.

For his b'day present I'd like to buy jnr a basic TV/DVD combo for his bedroom.
I don't want the faff of running an aerial into his room (is that me being too 'old skool'?)

As I have NetFlix on the main TV, through our PS3.
Is there anyway I can get it upstairs as well without landing jnr with excessive presents.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just come across, downloaded and watched Manhattan a two series dramatisation of the Manhattan project. Well acted, gripping, broadly accurate and enjoyable. Just annoyed it didn't get renewed for a 3rd series.

Oooh, where was that? I'd read about that series and hoped it would come over here. Is it on Netflix or on some weird channel.

The BBC should repeat the one they made in the 80s - with Sam Waterson as Oppenheimer and David Suchet as Teller, that was excellent

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Oooh, where was that? I'd read about that series and hoped it would come over here. Is it on Netflix or on some weird channel.

The BBC should repeat the one they made in the 80s - with Sam Waterson as Oppenheimer and David Suchet as Teller, that was excellent

It was broadcast in the US on WGN or something odd. Billed as their breakthrough into high drama but didn't pick up the ratings unfortunately. I found it via torrent on bitlord.

Haven't heard of the BBC one, what was it called? I love things like this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was broadcast in the US on WGN or something odd. Billed as their breakthrough into high drama but didn't pick up the ratings unfortunately. I found it via torrent on bitlord.

Haven't heard of the BBC one, what was it called? I love things like this.

The BBC one was called Oppenheimer. It's available on DVD but I'd love some channel to show it again

Thanks for the tip on Manhattan; going to try to find it

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Slightly odd but strangely gripping and addictive. That teacher is menacing.

angelby_3_disc_nordic-34922089-frntl.jpg

Recommended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports