'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I just watched the season finale of Under The Dome, I would like to say something but I won't.

Oh I'm glad you didn't: I have it to watch and am looking forward to it.

American Horror Story starts it's third season this month I think - good stuff, unnerving and not undisturbing.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
“Sleepy Hollow” started on Fox last night. A modern spin on the story with Ichabod Crane being resurrected in 2013. Promising start with some good chemistry between the leads and a chance to make some sly comments about 21[SUP]st[/SUP]century America

Was OK. Will watch it all the way through the series now.

Kind of has a Grimm feel about it.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Steven Merchant’s “Hello Ladies” has just started in the States on HBO, so I guess it will be in the UK shortly. Good solid first episode, best bit was the nightclub scene when he gets conned into buying a huge round of drinks by the woman he’s trying to chat up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Watched the first episde of The Crazy Ones.

Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Geller.

Wasn't too bad. A tad light weight at times. Williams it seems has been allowed to add his manic improvisation skills to the show which is always good.

Might be one of those shows that uses celebrities playing themselves each week as additions to the cast (yet to see if that's a week in week out thing though).

Worth a watch.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Last week was the first big week of the Autumn season. Ratings for old and new as follows:

Sleep Hollow 7.5/10 second ep not as good as first but has potential esp if u like Grimm
The Blacklist 10/10.... ooh yes don't miss. James Spader is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!
The Hostages 8.5/10 really goo first ep but not sure where this can go... could be a Homeland-type sleeper
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D 9/10 - super first episode. For geeks everywhere!
Person of Interest 7.5/10 - back and still good but first ep bit meh.
Revolution 8/10 - Same old. Great fun but pretty silly.
Greys Anatomy - 9/10 started with a double whammy and an obligatory star dying. Has not lost a step.
Elementary - 8.5/10 - Its not Sherlock but it IS good. JR Walker is a very good modern Sherlock. Entertaining but slightly heretical. oh and Rhys Ifans plays posh Mycroft shocker!!!
Once Upon A Time - 7/10 began to tire a bit of this last season. Was good but am I going to last? Debatable.

The Goodwife also started but havent watched yet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Steven Merchant’s “Hello Ladies” has just started in the States on HBO, so I guess it will be in the UK shortly. Good solid first episode, best bit was the nightclub scene when he gets conned into buying a huge round of drinks by the woman he’s trying to chat up.

16th October on sky Atlantic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Word on the street across the pond, from my American sources, say The Blacklist is a great watch.

Sky Living Friday night.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sleepy Hollow starts on Universal next Wednesday at 9pm.
Masters of Sex starts on Channel 4 next Tuesda at 9pm

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
American Horror Story starts it's third season this month I think - good stuff, unnerving and not undisturbing.

It is - starts next Wednesday, really looking forward to it. Pity it doesn't get a wider audience in the States - but the networks would never show it. My favourite series at the minute is "Person of Interest" - Reese and Finch make a very unlikely but very watchable partnership. Not so sure about the new series of "Elementary", seems to be running out of steam.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Hello Ladies was particularly good for a first episode. And Homeland started again, my Sunday's are now complete again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok so what about obscure shite US TV.

For my sins I've discovered Storage Wars and am completely addicted.
This has got me on The History Channel, which bombards me with:-

Duck Dynasty
Mountain Men
Some swamp people thingy
Axe Men.
A transportation programme.

I've resisted all and plenty more, but are there any jewels in the pooh.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Arrow was about the best thing that I watched last year, season 2 due to start soon.

Elementary is worth a watch, but it suffers when compared to Sherlock (although then again so do most TV programmes).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Castle looks good, based on 1st episode i saw. a bit like The Mentalist, with a ex cop turned writer instead of, er, a mentalist..

I've seen five seasons of Castle. I thoroughly enjoy it. Nathan Fillion is a multi-millionaire writer of Crime Novel who uses his friendship with the mayor to get a chance to work with a homicide detective (Stana Katic) and he uses his... creativity? perspective? crime-fictionalising mentality to help solve murders. ("If I was writing this, it would be a tale of revenge/jealousy/etc" type creativity). There's also an ongoing will they/won't they romance between them, and occasional returning storylines (the unsolved murder of her mother for example). It's formulaic, and doesn't break the mould, but Fillion is funny and charming and tends to carry it along with his geeky pop culture references.

A similar crime solving formulaic show that may have been mentioned already (possibly by me, this thread is old) is 'Psych'. A more lighthearted show in the same vein of the mentalist, except he pretends he is psychic and fakes episodes of psychic visions. Stuffed full of pop culture and 80's pop culture references.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
.............., my Sunday's are now complete again.

……and don’t forget the latest “Simpson’s Treehouse of Horror” is on this Sunday. Somehow these are always really good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports