Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm looking for a new comedy series to watch with my partner, preferably with a lot of episodes to get through. I've almost exhausted the ones I watched about ten years ago

So far we've done The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development and Brooklyn 99. Community and IASIP she wasn't keen on, neither of us like BBT. I may retry Modern Family.

Any other suggestions welcome. My knowledge of new US sitcoms ends in about 2012, so advice would be great!

My Name is Earle and Malcolm in the Middle,

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Defending Jacob on Apple + is brilliant...The bloke who usually plays a superhero can really act...

Available on the usual shiver me timbers site for the criminally minded...

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
For those of us missing/lamenting Mindhunter, "Manhunt: Unabomber" is a lite tilt at the Profiling genre. Paul Bettany, Chris Noth, Jeremy Robb are excellent, Sam Worthington continues to baffle me, but it's a very solid offering and doesn't go down the well-trodden 'good v evil' route and is all the better for it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Pleasantly and typically quirky Finnish post-war, 1950s spy 10 parter. Finns/Russians and Yanks all tailing each other, planting mics and digging up the past.

Nicely enjoyable.

nyrkki.jpg

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm looking for a new comedy series to watch with my partner, preferably with a lot of episodes to get through. I've almost exhausted the ones I watched about ten years ago

So far we've done The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development and Brooklyn 99. Community and IASIP she wasn't keen on, neither of us like BBT. I may retry Modern Family.

Any other suggestions welcome. My knowledge of new US sitcoms ends in about 2012, so advice would be great!
Mostly (but not all) on Netflix:

Archer
The Good Place
GLOW
Rake
Master of None
Norsemen
Veep
Vice Principals
How I Met Your Mother
Bojack Horseman (I don't like it, but others do...)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You don't get much more obscure than this:-

[tweet]1257767702678122503[/tweet]

I can't imagine what Ricky, Craig & Ralph must be feeling listening to that.

Affirmation baby

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

My Name is Earle and Malcolm in the Middle,
2 inspired choices especially Earl.
Mostly (but not all) on Netflix:

Archer
The Good Place
GLOW
Rake
Master of None
Norsemen
Veep
Vice Principals
How I Met Your Mother
Bojack Horseman (I don't like it, but others do...)
Veep is must watch TV for fans of comedy, foul language, The Thick Of It, politics.

#VoteJonah.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

My knowledge of US sitcoms/comedy series end in 2003 or something so as for new stuff, cant help you...

I've started rewatching Moonlighting though. Its so weird and the first two seasons are great. And Cybill Shepherd is hot.

First episode:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m nearing the end now of Justified on Amazon Prime with the brilliant Timothy Olyphant, Walter Goggins and Nick Searcy. :cry:

Absolutely love it, 9/10 (Breaking Bad, The Americans and The House Of Cards are 10/10 benchmarks in my book).

Season 5 is darker and more brutal, people blasted to oblivion at the slightest wrong thing said.

Thank you to all NSC’ers who recommended it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Cracking watch so far :thumbsup:
@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=435" target="_blank">Stat Brother</a></u> this'll keep your Ozark cold turkey at bay:D

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Catching up on series 2 of What we do in the Shadows. Really like this show, probably the funniest thing on TV out here at the minute. Reminds me a bit of The Office with lots of awkward moments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here