Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Before We Die ("Innan vi Dör").... Swedish crime drama. Best I have seen in a long while.... if you enjoyed the likes of The Killing and The Bridge then I suspect you might well be gripped by this tense and twisting beauty. Super.

Just finished Series 2 on 4OD.

Strongly recommended, both series are on there.

daa610375fd7021d6c2fa7c242744062.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm 5 minutes into Tiger King, on Netflix, I'm already booked.

This shite is gonna get nasty.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Watched the first episode but not overly impressed. The attention to detail in recreating Times Square in the 70's was amazing but just couldn't get that interested in the main characters. And what's with James Franco playing both brothers other than showing off with CGI. Will keep watching, think there's about 3 episodes so far, as it may be a slow burner

Did you get any further with it? The finale has stayed with me for the last few days since I watched the ending; I really bought into the characters and their situations but then I do love an epic. I also don't think I've watched any of David Simon's stuff and thought that anyone else has a heart, a love of place, of inhabitants, more than he does.

The Plot Against America, his latest, is on now if you can get hold of it. I am recording to binge though, can't do him any other way now.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Did you get any further with it? The finale has stayed with me for the last few days since I watched the ending; I really bought into the characters and their situations but then I do love an epic. I also don't think I've watched any of David Simon's stuff and thought that anyone else has a heart, a love of place, of inhabitants, more than he does.

The Plot Against America, his latest, is on now if you can get hold of it. I am recording to binge though, can't do him any other way now.

I didn't - but may do some catch up now everybody has more time on their hands. Have watched the first episodes of Plot Against America and like it. Now waiting to see the new series of Penny Dreadful which starts soon, really enjoyed the other series. Rory Kinnear is the only actor in the new series.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Pennyworth - The back-story of Batman's butler. Set in swinging '60s Soho - What's not to like?

Currently on in US - Coming to Prime at some point

[video]https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8425532/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1[/video]

Didn't see this when it was on, catching up now - up to episode 3. It's pretty good with a largely unknown cast. Really like the way they've captured London with the boozers, Tower of London and some pretty decent villains. Watching in the States I really appreciate the Englishness of it - with references to tossers and not making a bollocks of something - great stuff

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didn't see this when it was on, catching up now - up to episode 3. It's pretty good with a largely unknown cast. Really like the way they've captured London with the boozers, Tower of London and some pretty decent villains. Watching in the States I really appreciate the Englishness of it - with references to tossers and not making a bollocks of something - great stuff

I binged that last week on Starzplay (via amazon prime). I rather enjoyed it. I like that there wasn't too much of an effort to make references to Batman's world. It could probably work if you changed his, Thomas and Martha's names.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Just finished Deutschland '86 - sehr gut

Weirdly, I watched half an episode of '86, got distracted by something I had to do and have never been back, that was months ago.

I really should give it a go again.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton

Heavily influenced by the Avengers tv series from the '60s.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Now that Criminal Minds has come to an end, Sky Witness has filled its timeslot with a new series 'Lincoln Rhyme: The Hunt for the Bone Collector'. It's a typical procedural/investigation/csi type show based on the book 'The Bone Collector' (turned into a Denzel Washington/Angelina Jolie movie that wasn't particularly well received). It's the first in a series of novels about a genius quadriplegic forensic criminologist and the young cop (with aspirations of criminal psychology) solving crimes.

It looks like the idea is the standard crime of the week format, with season long arc that takes its inspiration (though isn't slavishly sticking to) the novel. I've only seen the first episode, but it might be interesting if each season focuses on a different novel in the Lincoln Rhyme series.

It doesn't have that feel of elite television that redefines genre or anything, but if you want an easy watch of a standard series, it looks like it has potential.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Three episodes into Ozark but I am struggling for a strange reason. Jason Bateman seems to me like Michael Sheen doing an impression of Martin Freeman. All the tics and facial gurning of Tim from The Office.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I'm looking for a new comedy series to watch with my partner, preferably with a lot of episodes to get through. I've almost exhausted the ones I watched about ten years ago

So far we've done The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development and Brooklyn 99. Community and IASIP she wasn't keen on, neither of us like BBT. I may retry Modern Family.

Any other suggestions welcome. My knowledge of new US sitcoms ends in about 2012, so advice would be great!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm looking for a new comedy series to watch with my partner, preferably with a lot of episodes to get through. I've almost exhausted the ones I watched about ten years ago

So far we've done The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development and Brooklyn 99. Community and IASIP she wasn't keen on, neither of us like BBT. I may retry Modern Family.

Any other suggestions welcome. My knowledge of new US sitcoms ends in about 2012, so advice would be great!

After Life :lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here