Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis, Noel and Liam

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Now I’d consider myself I fairly big fan of Oasis circa 1994-2000, having managed to see them 4 times, from the colossal Knebworth to a small gig at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. BUT never would I describe them as second only to the Beatles musically. They were your quintessential zeitgeist band, tapping into the right mood 94-96, however musically, fairly basic stuff, which don’t get me wrong is absolutely great, but there is a reason anyone who picks up a guitar for the first time can end up playing an Oasis song within a couple of days.

When you think since the Beatles, musically at least you have Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Bowie, Radiohead, The Smiths, Roxy Music...It’s hard to see how Oasis get ahead of them ‘musically’. In terms of just being a great band, maybe they do and it’s all personal taste.[emoji106]
You're right. I wouldn't describe them as second only to The Beatles.

Because The Beatles were shite and there are loads of better bands than them or Oasis.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Like Brown, Ashcroft and Albarn have never behaved like c***s. [emoji23]

It's called rock and roll.

Roses and Verve are great bands. Blur are massively overrated. It's all about opinions though.

Depends why you think they are over rated ?

I love both bands, but rarely see anyone over rating Blur and claiming they were generational..... oasis is the opposite though.

Oasis for me were great for two albums then went downhill pretty quickly.

Blur however got better and better because they changed what they did and didn’t try and produce the same stuff over and over again.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It’s quiet ironic that Noel and Liam wouldn’t have a career if it wasn’t for The Beatles !!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s quiet ironic that Noel and Liam wouldn’t have a career if it wasn’t for The Beatles !!

Being that he clearly has the musicianship and song writing skills of his ex-wife. I was wondering whose shoulders Liam was standing on to get the sort of Commercial success he has enjoyed for his last two albums (183 in the US album chart is nothing to be sniffed at).

Instead of one ‘Guy Chambers’ he has actually been given the support of a few very talented Americans by Warner to write all his music and do the hard and creative stuff. Seems like he is in good hands with the likes of manufactured pop supremos Michael Tighe, Greg Kurstin & Andrew Wyatt. Liam is the Robbie Williams for the naughties.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Been revisiting Be Here Now over the past couple of days.

Yes it's over produced but apart from that it's really a bloody good album.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The documentary about them from kids up to Knebworth is fantastic, think its called Supersonic. Really personal, gets right into the band. Whatever you might think about them they will go down in history as culturally important, and not many bands will say that.

I'm not their biggest fan, they're not my favourite band, but they always deserved to be listened to - and 'Live Forever' has become my favourite song of all time. I can't quite put my finger on why, its certainly no Pink Floyd, but it just gets me every time. Every single time.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Been revisiting Be Here Now over the past couple of days.

Yes it's over produced but apart from that it's really a bloody good album.

I hope, I think, I Know is a classic

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Found this while I was surfing through youtube. Oasis at the Brighton centre December 94, thought it might bring back some happy memories for anyone lucky enough to be there.

East Wing ahoy. Scene of many terrible gigs and a few good ones.

Think this might also have been the day they did the tellies and deckchairs shoot by the pier. Liam's voice was summat here.

Would have been good if they'd just stuck to being a little punk band (Fade Away) and done more of the psychedelic Scouse stuff. Noel's got a lot to answer for about the millions of bad buskers and tedious house party troubadours he's enabled with the acoustic interludes.

Liam's started doing D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman? again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here