Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis, Noel and Liam

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I shall check them out Harry.

Do me a deal and listen to Liam's album. I think it's lyrically better than anything Noel has written.

In fairness Noel has said that a lot of what he wrote was just words to fit a tune and although some of his songs have real meaning, a lot are just nonsense fitted around a meaningful chorus.

For What It's Worth is a superb song. Also Wall Of Glass, Paper Crown, Greedy Soul..... It's a genuinely good album and gets better with more listening.

It's variations on a theme (bitterness, forgiveness, it wasn't me guv) and obviously a dig at Noel in many areas. But give it a go.

If you like Oasis then I can't see why you wouldn't like it.

On track seven. Very listenable. I will definitely give it a second go, as there are good songs here that deserve a second listen. Had I not given Prefab Sprout a third listen I'd be deficient in the soul department to the tune of a hatfull of magnificence.

One thing I'll say about Liam: better singer than John Lennon. I have disliked Lennon since he released that lazy shite album just before he was shot. Liam is better. Fact :lolol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I like pretty much all their stuff, both as a group and individually. They are a couple of twats, but I get the impression that this is part of their persona. Liam’s last couple of albums have been excellent. The use of Cantona in his video was a quite brilliant wind up.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Best album- ( What's the Story) Morning Glory and the best song from the same album, Cast No Shadow.

I wouldn't say they are one of my favourite bands though, lots of songs I like but I can't say I listen to Oasis as much as The Stone Roses or The Charlatans.

Oasis seem very popular with the yoof these days, it's nice to hear Cigarettes & Alcohol blaring out of my 16 year olds bedroom than some rap nonsense.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Broadly speaking, I think most of the singles and everything since Lyla (and plenty before) is absolute shite.

Headshrinker and Columbia probably my current favourites.

Liam's albums, as the Grauniad (I think) put it, just tend to sound like stuff Tim Lovejoy would listen to before 5-a-side. As derivative as they were, Beady Eye's Beatles-ish stuff (The Roller, Bring the Light) proved better than Noel's, which just resemble the turgid sound of him being too scared of alienating his broad fanbase to let weird (possibly: dance) ideas into the studio.

In another life (without wanting to blow my own rusty, tiny trumpet) I met them both. Liam was a gent, the funnest afternoon since Charlie Oatway. I think he's just a very sweet, carnal man with a temper that is gone to terrible effect when it's gone. Noel was an utter curmudgeon for an hour or two, which he's entitled to be, but he was with young fans who idolised him at the time, and it just seemed unpleasant to not make a small effort to acknowledge/humour fans who had made a huge effort to see him somewhere in the middle. A cursory something would have been fine, but it felt like he treated them with contempt. Touring is often not fun and very tiring, though, so who knows.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Broadly speaking, I think most of the singles and everything since Lyla (and plenty before) is absolute shite.

Headshrinker and Columbia probably my current favourites.

Liam's albums, as the Grauniad (I think) put it, just tend to sound like stuff Tim Lovejoy would listen to before 5-a-side. As derivative as they were, Beady Eye's Beatles-ish stuff (The Roller, Bring the Light) proved better than Noel's, which just resemble the turgid sound of him being too scared of alienating his broad fanbase to let weird (possibly: dance) ideas into the studio.

In another life (without wanting to blow my own rusty, tiny trumpet) I met them both. Liam was a gent, the funnest afternoon since Charlie Oatway. I think he's just a very sweet, carnal man with a temper that is gone to terrible effect when it's gone. Noel was an utter curmudgeon for an hour or two, which he's entitled to be, but he was with young fans who idolised him at the time, and it just seemed unpleasant to not make a small effort to meet fans who had made a huge effort to see him somewhere in the middle. A cursory something would have been fine, but it felt like he treated them with contempt. Touring is often not fun and very tiring, though, so who knows.
Doesn't surprise me re either of them. Noel is funny as **** but you can tell that he's an acerbic ****.

Liam just seems sound, but a bit of a wide boy nutcase. And that describes most of the best people I've ever met.

Pretty Green jeans are ****ing decent too.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I shall check them out Harry.

Do me a deal and listen to Liam's album. I think it's lyrically better than anything Noel has written.

In fairness Noel has said that a lot of what he wrote was just words to fit a tune and although some of his songs have real meaning, a lot are just nonsense fitted around a meaningful chorus.

For What It's Worth is a superb song. Also Wall Of Glass, Paper Crown, Greedy Soul..... It's a genuinely good album and gets better with more listening.

It's variations on a theme (bitterness, forgiveness, it wasn't me guv) and obviously a dig at Noel in many areas. But give it a go.

If you like Oasis then I can't see why you wouldn't like it.

All of this :clap2:

Liam’s new solo stuff is very very good in my book. Once is up there with the best in my opinion.

Still enjoy Noel’s High Flyin Birds as well but enjoying Liam’s work a LOT more at the moment.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Love them, my favourite band. The Beatles are the only band that can top them musically,
IMO, but they were more than that to me socially and culturally.

I was a teenager when they came out and were at their peak and they were the first band to really speak to me. Just a bunch of lads playing music, loving football, having a laugh and a good time.

I loved the fashion (still do - own a lot of Pretty Green), the haircuts, joined a band and it sounds corny, but Liam did give me a confidence I needed at that age.

They also introduced me to The Beatles, The Stone Roses, The Jam, The Who, The Verve etc and as a massive music fan, have just had a big influence on my life.

And Liam’s 2 solo albums are both superb, personally I much prefer both of them to anything NGHFB’s have brought out.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Their music is OK but don’t like the nasal whiny singing and they behave like c*nts. I preferred Blur, Stone Roses and The Verve.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Their music is OK but don’t like the nasal whiny singing and they behave like c*nts. I preferred Blur, Stone Roses and The Verve.
Like Brown, Ashcroft and Albarn have never behaved like c***s. [emoji23]

It's called rock and roll.

Roses and Verve are great bands. Blur are massively overrated. It's all about opinions though.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Love them, my favourite band. The Beatles are the only band that can top them musically,

I was a teenager when they came out and were at their peak and they were the first band to really speak to me. Just a bunch of lads playing music, loving football, having a laugh and a good time.

I loved the fashion (still do - own a lot of Pretty Green), the haircuts, joined a band and it sounds corny, but Liam did give me a confidence I needed at that age.

They also introduced me to The Beatles, The Stone Roses, The Jam, The Who, The Verve etc and as a massive music fan, have just had a big influence on my life.

And Liam’s 2 solo albums are both superb, personally I much prefer both of them to anything NGHFB’s have brought out.
I've been that busy that I didn't even realise Liam's second album was out, so I've only heard Once from it.

Just downloaded it. Cheers.

boik

Best album- ( What's the Story) Morning Glory and the best song from the same album, Cast No Shadow.

I wouldn't say they are one of my favourite bands though, lots of songs I like but I can't say I listen to Oasis as much as The Stone Roses or The Charlatans.

Oasis seem very popular with the yoof these days, it's nice to hear Cigarettes & Alcohol blaring out of my 16 year olds bedroom than some rap nonsense.

Oasis were always popular with the yoof. A proper lads band. Not my thing, but the lads love the fact that it's easy to shout along to when you're p!ssed.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oasis were always popular with the yoof. A proper lads band. Not my thing, but the lads love the fact that it's easy to shout along to when you're p!ssed.

Yes I know Oasis were always popular with the yoof.

What I meant is the young lads of 2020 enjoying music from 1994-95 is nice to see.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Did enjoy Oasis at Glastonbury 1995 but always struggled to really enjoy them fully because of some utter knob heads I knew who were really into them. It shouldn't matter but yeah that always put me off, their fan base. My bad I know but did you ever have that with a band?

My best memory of early Oasis is singalongs when trekking in the Himalayas after too many shots of homemade rice wine and local weed, bought off an old lady who ripped it up from her garden. Never been much of a drinker and never really smoked grass outside of that but that was an excellent way to finish off a hard days trekking.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

The Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays leave a far bigger impression IMO. Oasis were a flash in the plan that somehow dragged on about thirteen years too long

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Now I’d consider myself I fairly big fan of Oasis circa 1994-2000, having managed to see them 4 times, from the colossal Knebworth to a small gig at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. BUT never would I describe them as second only to the Beatles musically. They were your quintessential zeitgeist band, tapping into the right mood 94-96, however musically, fairly basic stuff, which don’t get me wrong is absolutely great, but there is a reason anyone who picks up a guitar for the first time can end up playing an Oasis song within a couple of days.

When you think since the Beatles, musically at least you have Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Bowie, Radiohead, The Smiths, Roxy Music...It’s hard to see how Oasis get ahead of them ‘musically’. In terms of just being a great band, maybe they do and it’s all personal taste.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here