Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T ok so I was probably in the wrong, but bl**dy hell

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
left england years ago - road rage everywhere - all to do with.....drumroll...

....UNHAPPY STRESSED PEOPLE.

never looked back....only come back to visit.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yep we all see pricks like you push in at the end,also you will find its idiots like you that hold the traffic up even more.:angry:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'd go with you, taf.

Maybe when Edna comes on she can confirm whether the other bloke could have been stopped and done for careless driving.

You were quite within your rights to use the other lane. Otherwise it wouldn't be there.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
sorry in advance...I just wanted to put this down somewhere
...so I was driving back East along the A27 this evening and got caught in the usual bottle neck by Arundel...I always say to myself that I should go a different way...anyhow, there was about 200 to 300yds to go before the lanes merged into one and I was in the outside lane...all of a sudden this car pulled out from the near side lane and sat in the middle of the two lanes. He obviously wanted to stop me from going ahead in the outside lane and merging ahead...as I said there was another say 200yds to go...so I gesticulated for him to move over...he wouldn't and I then tried to drive around him at which point he swerved in front of me and we both slid to a halt...he got out.

This is, I think the point of my post, he went absolutely mental f'ing and blinding at me and saying that if my other half was not with he would have beaten me up etc. Anyhow I just sat there totally gobsmacked...I said that the lanes merged ahead not where he decided to block the road, but to be honest it did not seem worth tryig to reason with him...

In summary, I just wanted to say that if you were the bloke you need to calm down dude...getting that irate cannot be healthy and you are gonna give yourself a coronary. Also...am sorry mate, but you cannot go around being like that with people and it just reminded me of the road rage stories you hear where people have been stabbed and killed...I never thought I would be stupid enough to get into those situations but it just goes to show you never know...

So go careful out there...
The bloke sounds a bit of a fruitcake, but dont you feel a little bit of a wimp for letting him talk to you like that in front of your other half and not doing anything ?

PS I cant stand people who do what you did either !

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Totally within your rights as far as i'm concerned, I never understand when there are still 2 lanes why people only use the nearside lane, if people used both and then merged 1 car from the left lane and 1 car from the left lane it would half the queue length of the n/s lane and cause less of a tailback.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Totally within your rights as far as i'm concerned, I never understand when there are still 2 lanes why people only use the nearside lane, if people used both and then merged 1 car from the left lane and 1 car from the left lane it would half the queue length of the n/s lane and cause less of a tailback.
I disagree???
When you have people whizzing down the 2nd lane they tend to clog it all up,one single file is better than two clogged up lanes cramming in at the end.:thumbsup:

DanielT

tricky to judge as the guy who got out on you thinks he is doing everyone a favour but his means were violent and if you were alone, he admitted he would have done GBH. That's a criminal offence which carries a long prison sentence.

What you did was irritating to everyone who was in the correct lane, all of whom were calling you arrogant/selfish/insert-other-name-here, but what you did was not even a traffic offence. Even if it were a traffic offence, the most you'd get is... what? points, a fine at most.

Weighing up: prison for GBH or a £60 fine?

An overreaction on the other bloke's part for sure! Plus, he didn't know who you were. I don't mean that you are "someone" because we're all the same, but you could have been an even bigger nutter, armed, martial arts knowledge, etc...

Best to walk!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
To say that the queue will move quicker because two lanes are being used is an utter nonsense - the speed that the queue moves is determined by the speed of the vehicles going through the pinch point.

In fact, people trying to push in at the last moment will slow everything down - nothing can be be smoother or quicker in this situation than cars slotting into one lane well before the lane reduction and passing through in the order at which they arrived on the scene.

People who barge in at the last moment are no different to children who simply walk up to the front of an ice cream queue and demand to be served ahead of their turn. They are not criminals but they are the sort of self-regarding sods who drop litter.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I don't see it like that at all.

I see it as a queue at the turnstiles at a football ground. I will naturally get in the shortest queue, but if it's not moving fast enough I will change in order to get in quicker. If you can't be bothered to switch then that's your own fault.

Same rules in this situation as far as I'm concerned.

Do you join the END of the queue you are moving to or do you cut into the line where ever you week like it? Totally different rules as far as I am concerned

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm sorry Uncle Spielberg but your argument is rubbish.

There are two lanes and cars are encouraged to use both, that's why they are there. Where do you draw the line of having to get into a single lane? simplest and most straight forward is the actual point they merge, not 200 yards up the road. As someone has pointed out, it's in the HIGHWAY CODE

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

So when do the cars in the RIGHT lane merge in? :laugh:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I disagree???
When you have people whizzing down the 2nd lane they tend to clog it all up,one single file is better than two clogged up lanes cramming in at the end.:thumbsup:

But then you clog it up further down? There's no difference other than not using all the available road as encouraged in the HC

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
If you filter in when there is a gap, the traffic carries on moving and doesnt have to stop, therefore speeding things up. If you wait until the last inch before the lane ends and then try to force your way where there isnt a gap, all the cars behind have to stop leading to the knock on effect further up the road making the jam worse

Maybe the Highway Code doesnt cover politeness and courtesy when driving but think of other road users when driving and a lot of the stress will go away

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm with the road rage guy. Although he would have been more effective just sitting there blocking the outside lane and ignoring any protest from queue jumpers stacking up behind.

If the two lanes are merging and there is a queue of traffic then you should merge into the left lane, preferably slotting in near the back, not barge to the front and expect to get let in.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Maybe the Highway Code doesnt cover politeness and courtesy when driving but think of other road users when driving and a lot of the stress will go away

Absolutely.
When approaching a queue of stationary traffic on a dual or 3 lane highway surely it is simply common courtesy to join the back of the queue and wait your turn to get past the bottleneck.

Arrogant twats steam down the outside, then expect others to yield at the last minute. If this behaviour means they end up in a confrontation then frankly they shouldn't be surprised.

Just wait your turn, chill out and get to where you are going just as quick and without the stress. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the chap pulling out of the inside lane is a prize COCK. to pull out blocking the lane is itself obviously a breach of the highway code and totally cockish thing to do. yes, "queue jumpers" can be cocks too, but if moving down the two lanes of road sensibly until a suitable gap is available, thats the whole essence of merging traffic lanes. are you supposed to merge in 500 yards before? 1km?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm sorry Uncle Spielberg but your argument is rubbish.

There are two lanes and cars are encouraged to use both, that's why they are there. Where do you draw the line of having to get into a single lane? simplest and most straight forward is the actual point they merge, not 200 yards up the road. As someone has pointed out, it's in the HIGHWAY CODE

The fact is he did it to jump the queue as all the people who did it to jump the queue. Highway code my ARSE. He tried to stitch everyone up and got found out. He admits as much in the thread title. So I would give the bloke a slap on the back as he had the balls to stand up to the people who can't be arsed to wait like everyone else.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
People in this country are too precious about queues, infact you're famous (infamous) for it.

If there are two lanes, fill them. Everyone else behind you gets to move up. Problem is people seem to head for the slow lane at the first sign of merging, USE BOTH FRIGGING LANES and we'll all get to where we are going quicker....

Its the tossers who start a long long queue in the slow lane who cause all this stress to be fair...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
People in this country are too precious about queues, infact you're famous (infamous) for it.

If there are two lanes, fill them. Everyone else behind you gets to move up. Problem is people seem to head for the slow lane at the first sign of merging, USE BOTH FRIGGING LANES and we'll all get to where we are going quicker....

Its the tossers who start a long long queue in the slow lane who cause all this stress to be fair...

Totally agree with this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here