Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - exchange and completion

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
Hopefully moving to Shoreham in the not too distant future and have heard will get charged to exchange and complete on the same day. Is that true? I have a cash buyer and will be moving to a property currently vacant.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it wouldnt surprise me. dont know the process, but id imagine that instead of simply posting off contracts, the solicitors have to block out a half hour to do the calls and faxing, or maybe send someone round physically to oversee the exchange?

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
or maybe send someone round physically to oversee the exchange?

Don't believe it. I've done my own conveyancing twice. When solicitors "exchange contracts" no physical exchange usually takes place. They just phone each other and agree that they have exchanged (contracts are then put in the post in no particular hurry). I "exchanged contracts" on the phone from Cornwall with a solicitor in Kent.

I can see no good reason why exchanging and completing on same day should incur extra charge. But they'll charge you for anything they think they can get away with-they're solicitors.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
Apparently it's something to do with making sure the finances are transacted successfully. Sounds random to me.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apparently it's something to do with making sure the finances are transacted successfully. Sounds random to me.

I would have thought that happened anyway with contracts being exchanged (phone call with confirmation by fax and paperwork sent by secure post ie DX ) and when all the monies have gone through another phone call etc to confirm legal completion. The only thing that is different with exchange and completion on the same day is the timeframe to sort it all out. My eldest son moved into their new house four weeks ago and they exchanged a week before completion. On the day they got a call from the solicitor at 9.40 am to say they had completed as the financials were sorted , when we've moved there has always been an anxious wait for the solicitor to call after 2pm when the bank/building society staff have returned from lunch to put the money through.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
So basically I'd pay about £100 to my solicitor just for doing what he would normally do, only a bit quicker?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So basically I'd pay about £100 to my solicitor just for doing what he would normally do, only a bit quicker?

Yep. I don't know how far into the process you are but it might be worth looking for another solicitor. Get a fixed price up front - barring any complications.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
Yep. I don't know how far into the process you are but it might be worth looking for another solicitor. Get a fixed price up front - barring any complications.

Too late for that - perhaps a week away from exchange / completion. In the grand scheme of things £100 isn't a big deal, just wondered why it would be an extra cost and whether anyone would vehemently advise against a same day scenario.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Only thing they can really get away with is the CHAPS cost.

To be fair, you should get away with less than £100 for a decent pair.

gjch002back1999693.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here