O/T Anyone been to Malta?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I've not been for 20 years, but did enjoy the football. League fixtures are double headers at the National Stadium (in middle of nowhere at Ta'qali if I recall - but Malta is too small to ever really be in the middle of nowhere).

Also the megalithic stuff on Gozo was fantastic and no doubt still is.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
just to counter all this on here , ive been twice and would never go back. the quiet north part with the sandy beach is quite nice but the rest is a concrete shithole . there isnt much to do of note and the people are miserable . ive travelled around a fair bit and there are much better places to go but its all about opinions isnt it?

there was a thread on malta on here a couple of years ago where most people were slagging it off.

Don't agree . I have lived here nearly 9 years and although there are some parts that are very heavily built up there are many beautiful bays and places to see. The people generally are extremely friendly and if anyone behaves offensively they are usually British Time Share sellers. So pleased you won't come back :censored:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm thinking of 4 or 5 days in June, any suggestions much appreciated. Being an old fart I'm not looking for night clubs, just a good hotel preferably with sea view in a convenient location to get around without a car.

And any suggestions of things to do and see?

Over to you guys!

Open top bus tours to North or South are great and good value. 2-3 hours hop on hop off and you get a free harbour cruise ticket with this. Costs about €15 (I preferred the South Tour ) As you can see from my name I live here and would be glad to suggest hotel options etc.
Send a PM

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I loved Malta but my sons father in law would have stayed on the coach and gone straight back home if they had allowed, he hated it. To me it was like England in the sun but with hundreds of timeshare sellers pestering you. I said that I owned one in Buggiba and they left us alone.

When we went they had one sandy beach which was man made I think it was at Melihah Bay.

Not quite
Sandy beaches in Malta

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
went to Malta as a boy and still one of favourite places ever, people were unbeleivably freindly,nice place nice bars,I would love to go back with my littlens and eventually will

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did say when we went there was 1 sandy beach Mellieha Bay which your guide said is the largest the others hadn't been converted and as you have only lived there for 9 years you are not in a position to argue about what was there when we went. In fact there was one football pitch with grass and Mark Lawrenson and Paul Marriner used to fly out together on a Friday and play either Saturday or Sunday and fly back the next day. Whichever day there was always minimum 2 or sometimes 3 matches played.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Don't agree . I have lived here nearly 9 years and although there are some parts that are very heavily built up there are many beautiful bays and places to see. The people generally are extremely friendly and if anyone behaves offensively they are usually British Time Share sellers. So pleased you won't come back :censored:

aww bless . all entitled to our opinions arent we? horses for courses and all that

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Went end of May 2 years ago, lovely country, weather not all that hot in early June though, better july & august.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I did say when we went there was 1 sandy beach Mellieha Bay which your guide said is the largest the others hadn't been converted and as you have only lived there for 9 years you are not in a position to argue about what was there when we went. In fact there was one football pitch with grass and Mark Lawrenson and Paul Marriner used to fly out together on a Friday and play either Saturday or Sunday and fly back the next day. Whichever day there was always minimum 2 or sometimes 3 matches played.

You may be correct about the football pitches which I don't recall mentioning, but you are totally wrong about the beaches. http://users.aber.ac.uk/jpg/malta/beaches/intro.htm and they were there long before your visit.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
i've heard the Italian "youth" invade the island in the summer months,bit like the Brits on the Spanish islands :drink:

Its hardly the "youth" as you put it - its mainly students who sit around a table all afternoon with a bottle of mineral water between them.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
No. Too hard to get to ! I prefer beaches that you can park near and not have to climb to reach:)

I'm impressed, most maltese don't even know about it. I first went there about 30 years ago and very few EVER went there. It was great to take girlfriends there, you could spend the day there and not see a soul.

The other place is Hassans Cave and the Cart Ruts at San Gwann

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm impressed, most maltese don't even know about it. I first went there about 30 years ago and very few EVER went there. It was great to take girlfriends there, you could spend the day there and not see a soul.

The other place is Hassans Cave and the Cart Ruts at San Gwann

Were you stationed here? I haven't heard of Hassans Cave though. Is that another place you took your girlfriends?????

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you're going to Valletta during your stay, make sure you visit the pub where Oliver Reed died during a drinking session. Cracking little boozer in it's own right, it's become something of a shrine to the great man. You can even buy the tee-shirt! :cheers:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You may be correct about the football pitches which I don't recall mentioning, but you are totally wrong about the beaches. http://users.aber.ac.uk/jpg/malta/beaches/intro.htm and they were there long before your visit.

I have just confirmed with my wife that on our last visit it was advertised that Mellehia Beach, which is a man made beach was the only sand beach as such although Popeye Beach in Popeye Village had some sand but very little. Sorry to argue the point but I knew I was right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports