Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC's 100 essential albums

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Post the break up, he himself has admitted that his own arrogance took all the court cases about the name too far, but the flip side of that is, that he really was the creative drive for most of Pink Floyds work, just because the other members couldn't work with him, he had to go and they keep the name? In some ways you could understand how frustrating that must have been.

I feel you may be undermining value of the input from the others, what has Waters done of note since the break up? Gilmour's lyrics are a bit lightweight I accept and can't compare to the stuff Waters wrote but his guitar playing is quite brilliant and they did go on to make a couple of half decent albums after Waters left including The Division Bell?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely War or Boy, or joshua tree would be classed as essential over achtung

For me no. I not only love the album, which fuses electronic music with their trademark sound, but I also like the environment in which is was recorded and the subsequent tour. The spin-off experimental album Zooropa is also very good. I personally think this period is their creative peak and also the moment Bono completely disappeared up his own arse.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Not read all selections but i'll do 20 off the top of my head-
Love forever changes
Doors strange days
Smiths - queen is dead
Joy Division Unknown Pleasures
Pixies - Doolittle
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Cure - Disintegration
Nick Drake - 5 leaves left
Spacemen 3 - playing with fire
MBV - isn't anything
Bon Iver - for emma
Bob Marley and Wailers - Burnin (although a tough choice)
Otis Redding - Otis Blue
Marvin Gaye - Whats going on
Floyd - DSOTM
Pistols - Bollocks
Led Zep - IV (another toughie)
Nirvana - Nevermind
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
FFs 124 posts so far and nobody has nominated Never Mind the Bollocks. It has to be Never Mind the Bollocks.
Who's Next also must be there.
i agree, quite suprised no-one had mentioned this album. For a band that only made one album, and to be as huge as it still is nowadays speaks volumes.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
The Killers - Sam's Town
The Dubliners - The Very Best Of The Dubliners
James Blunt - Back To Bedlam
Jimmy Nail - Crocodile Shoes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. I stuck London Calling on, opened my windows and cracked open a 17.1% Imperial stout and am felling rather squiffy now.

Sunshine, stout and The Clash is a great combination.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
The Killers - Sam's Town
The Dubliners - The Very Best Of The Dubliners
James Blunt - Back To Bedlam
Jimmy Nail - Crocodile Shoes

Oh my word - wind up ? Blunt and Nail ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I feel you may be undermining value of the input from the others, what has Waters done of note since the break up? Gilmour's lyrics are a bit lightweight I accept and can't compare to the stuff Waters wrote but his guitar playing is quite brilliant and they did go on to make a couple of half decent albums after Waters left including The Division Bell?

Roger Waters is still massive around the world. Radio K.A.O.S, The Pro's and Con's of Hitch Hiking, Amused to Death, all well received albums, Amused to Death particularly so.

Pink Floyd went on to make A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, and have nothing of the creative concepts that drove the earlier work. A Momentary Lapse of Reason is best consigned to a dusty vault.

I also didn't mean to suggest that the others didn't contribute to the Pink Floyd work, I was merely suggesting that post Wish You Were Here, this wasn't the case. However the success of all the work up to then was down to the creativity of all the members working together, so no I wouldn't want to undermine the value of the other members, just what was happening pre split. I also agree Gilmour's guitar playing and writing is brilliant.

848304a10a5095ae52014e122d9.jpg

biffy_clyro_cover.jpg

fleetwood-mac-rumours.jpg

queen-a-night-at-the-opera.jpg

Some of the old farts on here won't recognise the top two, but they are incredible pieces of work!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Any support for Grace ? surely got to be in there - Must have one of Nick Drakes albums too - not fussed between five leaves left and Bryter later

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Another vote for london calling. For me it just seems more complete than The Clash or Give "em Enough Rope. One of those albums that if I'm wondering what to play, I'll bung it on and know it will be a good choice. For any of the other Clash albums I have to be in the right mood but London Calling works at any time; there's not a bad track on it.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Madvillain - Madvillainy
XTC - English Settlement

If football was based on the fans' taste in music - I think the Albion would have just won the Champions League. :thumbsup: (bear in mind I've only read the first page)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here