Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC New Format vs. NSC Classic. Which version are you using?

Which version of NSC are you using?

• New format

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • NSC Classic

Votes: 38 39.6%
  • I've no idea what you're talking about

Votes: 16 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
tweaks I'd like to see

-Still waiting for the mark forums read option to be fixed
-Links to forum, main stuff, big board above the quick reply box look a little untidy. I'd either align them all to the left, or have them spread out across the page like they were.

I'll look at the first one of those soon.

The second - agreed. The modification that does that puts the links doesn't play nicely with this style - I'll get that remedied.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
New version was a bit of a shock when I first saw it, but I'm getting used to it.

Why can't we have a pre-windows MSDOS version for real luddites?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
On the new version, individual posts within a thread are separated by a thick, dark horizontal bar which isn't easy on the eye - especially if there are a lot of single sentence posts.

That's the main reason I've changed back to the old version.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I didn't like the new version when I first saw it in work on friday (not signed in), when I got home where I am signed in it was still on the old version. I discovered the option in the bottom left corner to change it and did and now I like the new version.

Slight tweaks I'd like to see
-Still waiting for the mark forums read option to be fixed
-Links to forum, main stuff, big board above the quick reply box look a little untidy. I'd either align them all to the left, or have them spread out across the page like they were.

Thanks for for advising about menu to change back to Classic. That's better.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
the modern is too large... i can only see a few lines on my screen....reduce it to the size of classic and bingo!

A few people have said that - what is too big? The font or the spacing? Both? There is very, very little difference for me (Safari on a MacBook Air).

Forum view - classic:

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 13.14.03.png

Forum view - modern:

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 13.14.22.png

Thread view - classic:

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 13.16.47.png

Thread view - modern:

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 13.16.26.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A few people have said that - what is too big? The font or the spacing? Both? There is very, very little difference for me (Safari on a MacBook Air).

The spacing - looks very different (on internet explorer, on PC) - especially as the advert at the top is further down so that on the home page you can't see any threads until you scroll down (on classic the banner is alongside the NSC logo, not below it). The individual posts seem to take up a lot more (empty) space too.

Text is a bit bigger, but not so as to bother.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The spacing - looks very different (on internet explorer, on PC) - especially as the advert at the top is further down so that on the home page you can't see any threads until you scroll down (on classic the banner is alongside the NSC logo, not below it).

Is your browser particularly narrow? The ad should be alongside the NSC logo (and is for me) unless I narrow my window to the point the banner doesn't fit alongside, and it then gets shunted below.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is your browser particularly narrow? The ad should be alongside the NSC logo (and is for me) unless I narrow my window to the point the banner doesn't fit alongside, and it then gets shunted below.
Not particularly, I don't think. On the old system, the Ad. banner actually overlaps the right hand edge of the logo. Oh well, I'll just keep using the classic while it lasts! Cheers!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The ad has never fitted like that ever since I first joined - either on IE, Firefox or Chrome, and on every device and screen I have used to view NSC - from a Kindle to wide screen PC (all full screen width windows) both at work and at home. Up to now it has always overlapped and partly hidden the logo on the top right - now it is siting underneath the logo and is still too wide for both to fit on the same level. I have not viewed NSC on any Apple device or phone,so itmight be different there.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not particularly, I don't think. On the old system, the Ad. banner actually overlaps the right hand edge of the logo. Oh well, I'll just keep using the classic while it lasts! Cheers!
This (althoughI am getting used to the new version) - see my previous post 54)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The spacing - looks very different (on internet explorer, on PC) - especially as the advert at the top is further down so that on the home page you can't see any threads until you scroll down (on classic the banner is alongside the NSC logo, not below it). The individual posts seem to take up a lot more (empty) space too.

Text is a bit bigger, but not so as to bother.

This is broadly the same issue I have with the spacing. It is very different from how it was previously but not in a good way. On the new version I have to repeatedly scroll to see any content plus the font is a fair bit bigger. Mostly likely something to do with my settings but not something I can bothered to fiddle with just for NSC as everything else works fine. The new version is a bit of pain to use as a result, so I won't visit as often or for as long as previously.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh thankyou for highlighting ther was an option. i much prefer the classic, its cleaner, sharper, feels less busy and a bit less obvious "im looking at a forum" at work.

please dont loose the option Bozza, or make the new a more similar colour scheme. incidently i see the old style envelops on classic, not new as shown in screenies above.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
oh thankyou for highlighting ther was an option. i much prefer the classic, its cleaner, sharper, feels less busy and a bit less obvious "im looking at a forum" at work.

That's a bizarre summation. The new style is considerably cleaner and sharper - the 'classic' is such a dated look now.

On the second point - from any sort of glance, the only difference of note is the blue bars that lead each post when looking at a thread.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's a bizarre summation. The new style is considerably cleaner and sharper - the 'classic' is such a dated look now.

its all in the eye of the beholder of course, but "clean and sharp" and "dated" arent really on the same scales, they arent mutually exclusive. the nice right angled corners, the avatar/messge left justified the same as the date bar, and subdued colour is what makes it clean and sharp for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here