Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
How the HELL did I miss this thread? Be well up for this next year.

I'm thinking we should have an across the oceans solidarity New Years special - I'll message you my mailing address if you are game to reciprocate, just feeling so left out!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
OK, I'll try to get mine reviewed today, otherwise it'll be after Christmas. First, the cover:

View attachment 49680

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 124

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Ask your dad about Stuart Storer Staly. You won't be able to hear what he says though - he'll be blubbing like a small child.

Oh, I know all about that stuff don't worry. He never stops going on about obscure bits of Brighton history :bla:

Anyway, SWMBO has decided that it is impossible for us to go away for Christmas until the house is spotless, so a review of the actual music will need to wait until tomorrow.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will do mine asap.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So here we go then, review time:

1) BABA O'RILEY by THE WHO: What can you say, it's The Who. I always like it when an album starts with something so unmistakeable and with such a distinctive introduction.

2) KASHMIR by LED ZEPPELIN: It's Led Zep, it's Kashmir, it's brilliant.

3) IN A BROKEN DREAM by PYTHON LEE JACKSON: The first track here with which I wasn't instantly familiar, but I liked it. A keeper for me here.

4) FORTUNATE SON by JOHN FOGERTY (feat. THE FOO FIGHTERS): A great track from Fogerty's "Wrote A Song For Everyone" album, from which I also took a track on my my composition. Great choice and good to see Fogerty getting multiple run-outs in this game.

5) PAINT IT BLACK by THE ROLLING STONES: One of the few Stones songs I actually like, so another good choice here.

6) ROADHOUSE BLUES by THE DOORS: Not a massive Doors fan, and this one doesn't really do it for me I'm afraid.

7) HURRICANE by BOB DYLAN: Sacrilege as it may be, I'm not really a Dylan fan so nothing happening here for me.

8) HURT by JOHNNY CASH: The greatest cover version, bar none, in the history of music so far as I'm concerned. An incredibly emotional performance from Johnny Cash, and always worthy of a listen.

9) BIG BALLS by AC/DC: I like a bit of AC/DC but this is about my least favourite track of theirs.

10) I'M SHIPPING UP TO BOSTON by THE DROPKICK MURPHYS: Another new one for me, and another keeper I think.

11) LINKS 2-3-4 by RAMMSTEIN: I am quite partial to a bit of Rammstein, but this was a new one for me of theirs. Another good choice by Santa here.

12) ROLLING by LIMP BIZKIT: Sadly this is one I am familiar with and absolutely cannot stand.

13) EVEN FLOW by PEARL JAM: Can't go wrong with Pearl Jam, probably in my Top 3 favourite songs of theirs so a definite hit for me.

14) MR E'S BEAUTIFUL BLUES by THE EELS: Not really my thing, unfortunately.

15) COTTON FIELDS by THE BEACH BOYS: This, however, is very much my thing and I always enjoy hearing it.

16) ON THE ROAD AGAIN by WILLIE NELSON: As many will know I am quite partial to a bit of Willie (ooh err missus), so not a new one for me but a definite hit nonetheless.

17) A LAP DANCE IS SO MUCH BETTER WHEN THE STRIPPER IS CRYING by THE BLOODHOUND GANG: Full marks for one of the best song titles I've ever seen, and allthough it's probably not something I'd have gone out of my way to listen to I found it oddly enjoyable.

I have no idea who my Santa is, but overall I've definitely enjoyed their effort. Good job Santa, and thank you. :thumbsup:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Merry Christmas – The Ramones. Well, it’s impossible to review the Ramones isn’t it? They just are. It’s impossible to imagine a world where the Ramones never existed. A suitably festive start.
The Carpetbaggers – Jimmy Smith. Not really my genre, but you can’t beat a bit of Hammond organ. Enjoyed it.
Dream Cars – Neon Neon. This is the Super Furry Animals guy right? Never liked them much, and this seems a bit generic anthemic indie for me.
Because Your love – Spain. Now this is an interesting one for me because Spain have been on my list of bands to investigate for about 20 years and I’ve never got round to it. People have intermittently recommended them to me over the years due to my love of the Tindersticks, and I can sort of see that. There’s a bit of Afghan Whigs in there as well I think, which is no bad thing.
These Days – Glen Campbell. The old ham himself. Glen can always be relied on for a good bit of guitaring, and this one’s no exception with some getting old lyrics thrown in for good measure. Not a patch on his version of Puff The Magic Dragon though – search it out kids.
I Walk On Gilded Splinters – Cher. I know several other versions of this song, but not this one. Dr John’s version slinks whereas this one strolls. It’s ok, but I can’t get the image of her sitting on a naval gun in a mankini out of my head.
My Drug Buddy-Lemonheads. I saw an early line up of this lot split up on stage at the Duchess of York in Leeds. A very entertaining night. Not my favourite of theirs, but ok.
Trouble – Kristen Hersch. I’ve got a few Throwing Muses records, but haven’t really kept up with her solo stuff, so interesting to hear this. Be good for one of my intermittent miserable Americana phases.
One With The Freaks - The Notwist. I’ve got one record by these (Shrink), which I like, but have never investigated further. I think this is because I saw them supporting Stereolab once and they were interminable. This was good though. May have to get more records.
No Social - The Shortwave Set. Very Broadcast, which is no bad thing.
Sevenfold – Spain. Another one from the same album as the Spain track above. A particular favourite of my Santa at the moment I’m guessing. See comments above.
Autumn Sweater – Yo La Tengo. Whilst my Santa bravely resisted putting any Low on, (s)he couldn’t resist Yo La Tengo. This is from the era when people thought that they might just break through and make it big. Didn’t happen, but a good song. More good throbbing organ, which seems to be a theme for this CD.
Talking Words – Darker My Love. I only really know of these because some of them were in The Fall for a while. Remind me of Catherine Wheel or Swervedriver. Very rocky end of shoegaze. OK.
Gustavo – Mark Kozelek and Jimmy Lavelle. I was a big fan of Red House Painters, but haven’t really kept up with his later stuff. Again, I must investigate further (so many records to buy, so little time). This one’s a bit of an epic. I think if I knew Mark Kozelek I’d be worried, as most of his friends and acquaintances seem to come to bad ends.
Crushed – Cocteau Twins. You won’t catch me out with rare songs from compilations, mate. You can’t go wrong with the Cocteaus, at least until they went all rinky tink shortly after this track. So amongst the last of the good stuff, which means it needs playing very loud.
Revival – Soulsavers. Another one that’s a bit Afghan Whigsy. Some crunchy Hammond, too. Probably a grower.
Space Christmas – Shonen Knife. A festive classic, of course. In our house, when somebody is down about something it is traditional to sing “bear up bison, never say die”.

As for the sender? No idea. I’d have said Tinycowboy as I know that he’s a Throwing Muses and Lemonheads fan, but I believe he’s already been identified as the author of another CD. Albumen himself?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here