Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Cringers - look away now

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I'm convinced anyone <25 and in the north stand has drunk c6 cans of red bull/monster specifically for the purpose of helping them get the words out faster and faster each game.
Hence the rebellion at Spurs and Saints... their signature songs got so bad that a group of older fans started a successful campaign to slow it down... it seems that anyone <25 seem to have the attention span of a goldfish, so rush the song to enable them to get on to a chant which doesn't have words of more than 1 syllable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloody stupid line! What on earth are people not supposed to understand about the fact we've got Anthony Knockaert?? (btw, it's not Knockheart, Flockhart, nor even Braveheart... but KNOCKAERT! ]

Understood?

I'm with you on that. Its great he has his own chant, but it doesn't make one iota of actual sense. What IS there to understand ?
Added to the fact the format is wrong

Don’t tell my heart (We’ve got Knockaert)
My achy breaky heart (Anthony Knockaert
I just don’t think he’d understand (I just don’t think you understand)
And if you tell my heart (He only cost a mill)
My achy breaky heart (He’s better than Ozil)
He might blow up and kill this man (We’ve got Anthony Knockaert)

The final line is supposed to rhyme with the 3rd line, but instead, we just repeat the 1st line again. It’s a SHAMBLES. We should do something like THIS:

We’ve got Knockaert
Anthony Knockaert
The greatest winger in the land
He only cost a mill
He’s better than Ozil
Your leftback will end up getting banned

Too late now though.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'm with you on that. Its great he has his own chant, but it doesn't make one iota of actual sense. What IS there to understand ?

The final line is supposed to rhyme with the 3rd line, but instead, we just repeat the 1st line again. It’s a SHAMBLES. We should do something like THIS:

We’ve got Knockaert
Anthony Knockaert
He only cost a mill
He’s better than Ozil

Too late now though.

Are football songs ever supposed to make much sense? At least Antony Nockhart's conveys a message to the opposition fans, i.e. "Look, we've got this bloody amazing player, and you haven't, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!", absolutely designed to crush their spirit and hopes. Or we could just stick with the original lyrics, only save them for bad days on the pitch when we feel there is a need to inform our players that we are very, very disappointed with them. Not sure about the final line though, talking of blowing people up probably isn't entirely politically correct nowadays. Football chants such as "Brightonnnnn an' 'ove Albion" to the tune of Go West, or "Solly, Solly Maarrch" to the tune of Daddy Cool really do do nothing more than state the blindingly obvious, which quite frankly makes us football fans sound a bit, well, thick.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
. . . And the award for the single most cringe inducing thing posted in this thread goes to;

Embarrassing.

Embarrassing. Really ?

So you think Hull are actually worth a PL place ? They started the season with about 13 professional players in the squad, there's been little investment in that team since they were promoted, Steve Bruce walked out in July and they've only just got around to appointing a manager, and the ownership issue that's been rumbling on for months still hasn't been resolved. There's never been a team more nailed-on for a guaranteed immediate return straight back to the Championship.

They'll not even make a go of it, but the new owners will no doubt trouser a tidy sum regardless, when they crash back down. They're a shambles from top to bottom. A complete waste of a PL place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Are football songs ever supposed to make much sense? At least Antony Nockhart's conveys a message to the opposition fans, i.e. "Look, we've got this bloody amazing player, and you haven't, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!", absolutely designed to crush their spirit and hopes. Or we could just stick with the original lyrics, only save them for bad days on the pitch when we feel there is a need to inform our players that we are very, very disappointed with them. Not sure about the final line though, talking of blowing people up probably isn't entirely politically correct nowadays. Football chants such as "Brightonnnnn an' 'ove Albion" to the tune of Go West, or "Solly, Solly Maarrch" to the tune of Daddy Cool really do do nothing more than state the blindingly obvious, which quite frankly makes us football fans sound a bit, well, thick.

You're right of course. I guess the main thing is, we ARE singing and making some noise. I just think some of the songs could do with a little fine-tuning, but its all for shit and giggles innit. I think the "He only cost a mill, he's better than Ozil" is a GENIUS line. Whoever came up for that deserves a warm handshake and a hearty clap on the back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well they did win the play offs, so essentially yes.
Southampton started their season with about 10 senior pro's a couple of seasons back, they're doing ok aren't they?

They earned their place I suppose. But whats the point when you're just going to be the cannon fodder for a season ? They've not invested, and they'll almost certainly be out of sight by January.

Not sure about the Southampton reference, they've been extremely well run for a number of years now, you cannot possibly compare them with the shambles going on at Hull at present.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
They earned their place I suppose. But whats the point when you're just going to be the cannon fodder for a season ?

Not sure about the Southampton reference, they've been extremely well run for a number of years now, you cannot possibly compare them with the shambles going on at Hull at present.

The Southampton reference was a response to your slur against the amount of players Hull started the season with, as you correctly highlighted, Saints are very well run but they lost their manager and almost the entire first team in one summer, so it can happen to the best of them. I do share your frustration at seeing teams go up with little ambition of staying there, Burnley are another example.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Southampton reference was a response to your slur against the amount of players Hull started the season with, as you correctly highlighted, Saints are very well run but they lost their manager and almost the entire first team in one summer, so it can happen to the best of them. I do share your frustration at seeing teams go up with little ambition of staying there, Burnley are another example.

Southampton sold off some key players a few years ago (Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Lambert), but they still reinvested in the squad that year (Mané, Long, Tadic, Bertrand, Forster, Pelle). Its a high turnover, but their recruitment has consistently been very decent, and they have an excellent production line from their development squad, which is why they are now a comfortably established PL club. Southampton are exactly the type of model we should aspire to emulate if we get promoted.

Hull are just a mess.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Dissecting the original lyrics:
Do many people in Sussex still Plough and Mow, Reap and Sow? Why do those that do this also spend time Marching ? - the context means nothing to those who don't know the history of the song and is pretty meaningless to most in the original form. The original version is lyrically outdated and bares little resemblance to modern life in Sussex.

The Military connection has also been lost with the loss of the Royal Sussex Regiment, then add in that the song never became their regimental march, this was always "The Royal Sussex" and it was written in 1907, long before WW1 so doesn't directly come from that

The football version has been around for decades and is the traditional version for the football club, and not the Stand or fall version which wasn't sung (bar maybe a handful of individuals) before we moved to the Amex. I just don't see the reason to abandon our traditional, football related lyrical version

:ffsparr:

A history lesson? Nah. I just can't be bothered.

"You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" is outdated? Really?

And the military connection has been lost? That will be why it is played at Brighton's Remembrance Day parade each and every year then!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
:ffsparr:

A history lesson? Nah. I just can't be bothered.

"You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" is outdated? Really?

And the military connection has been lost? That will be why it is played at Brighton's Remembrance Day parade each and every year then!

Bands at local bonfire events play it, but does that make it a bonfire song relating to the history of bonfire celebrations and connect it to Guy Fawkes? Or is it just a tune connected to Sussex and happens to be played by bands here (like they do with the Remembrance day parade)? ie not specifically played because of a deeper meaning

Do we still have any Sussex regiments? If not, presumably the band that plays it comes from outside Sussex and therefore it's not something that is closely associated with that particular band in the same way that it's never been the official regimental march when there was a Sussex regiment.

Militarily, surely it would be better to have this instead as it was their actual official march song: http://www.royalsussex.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Royal-Sussex.mp3 but when have you ever heard this played anywhere?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We’ve got Knockaert
Anthony Knockaert
He only cost a mill
He’s better than Ozil

Too late now though.

You could start early by completing:-

We had Knockaert (sob)
Anthony Knockaert (sob, snivel)
I just don't think he understood

#beprepared.